Costa Rica, Spinning Gear Packed!

kishkash

Hello Chaps,

Just got back from a grand trip to Costa Rica, the place is truly blessed. Thought I'd share a few photees with you.

I always intended to fish here when I was planning the trip but I didm't want to go down the road of expensive Chartered Sport Fishing trips, plus I wanted to get a bit of yakking in too. So I slipped a cheap spinning rod into my surfboard bag and assorted lures, swivels, traces etc into my kit bag, and I was off in hope of catching.

cr_ma.jpg

I'd tried to do some research before I set off regarding shore fishing and inshore waters but they are so "off shore charter" orientated it was tricky, what I did find confirmed that similar tactics to spinning here apply and that I could encounter such exotics as Snook or Mahi Mahi!

Although I didn't catch these or catch the size of the fish the guys on the charters were catching, I never expected the fun I did have. There were schoolie Tuna jumping all over the place and after a paddle of about 1km out I was in to my first fish.

cr_yak_play-706362.jpg

My reel was literally screaming, these little Tuna I guess must have been around the 3 - 5 lb mark with very dense barrel shaped bodies their outlines belied their weight.

cr_tuna_1-757197.jpg

I hooked into a couple of bigger fish which really fought, doubling the rod over and threatening to rip the tackle off at which point I thought I may have come under gunned - they both threw the hooks.

cr_gar-756913.jpg

Great fun, I've got to go back. Meanwhile we're waiting for the surf to die down here in North Devon as its around 6ft at the moment!

Cheers

Rich

post-8601-1173430822_thumb.jpg

Edited by kishkash

iz from North Devon - Prowler 13 - Travel light, keep 'em tight - ooh!

2007 Catches: Sea Trout 3/4 lb,.........

2007 Endeavours: Investigate the estuary

MyFishingKayak.co.uk

Thanks for the report Rich

Info on the shore fishing in Costa Rica is hard to come by, so your pics and tips are very welcome.

I was planning a trip later this year, but have to postpone until 2008

Were you on the Pacific coast and if so, where did you stay (tell me it was somewhere cheap please!)

I really fancy the look of those roosters - did you see any during your stay?

Cheers

Steve

Hi Steve

Yeah we were on the Pacific coast and toured from the south up to the Nicoya Peninsula. We stayed in some pretty nice hotels but I know you can get super cheap digs if needs be. Some buddies that were there at the same time were getting hotel apartments at £50 a night and splitting that 3 ways, they had air con and a kitchen. There are cheaper and more expensive available of course, but all in all I found it good value.

Ah the Roosters! The Kayak hire guy would tell me each day where they hung out but alas I didn't catch one or land one anyway, definately had a couple of large unknowns on but they got away - Ah that old gem.

Cheers

iz from North Devon - Prowler 13 - Travel light, keep 'em tight - ooh!

2007 Catches: Sea Trout 3/4 lb,.........

2007 Endeavours: Investigate the estuary

MyFishingKayak.co.uk

Absoloutly fan sodding tastic Rich. Those pics just sum it up, fair play. That Garfish type thing your good lady is holding looks awsome.

Where's me passport.

1 on the lure is worth 2 from the bait.

Location Pembrokeshire

Kayak's

OK Prowler Trident Yellow

Kaskazi Pelican Orange on White ( CEZI B ) from www.kayakuk.com

Wilderness Tarpon 120 Yellow

Dughters Kayak OK Venus Blue & White (Kristi Boo)

Cobra Fish & Dive Blue

Tamar For Angle R.N.L.I