boilie recipe

Big Jo

Guest Brumagem Phil
Peter, not a spoilsport at all, I agree with what you have said.

I wasn't the person that asked the original question. I just didn't feel the recipes that were given were that 'home made' as all the ingredients were from bait companies.

I tried making a few.........can't recall exactly what I used now (but a quick google for cheap boillie recipes should yield results) but it involved soy flour, semolina and other stuff available from a supermarket. Tried various colours and flavours too (curry powder, cinnamon etc etc) but wasnt very satisfied with any of them really considering they dont work out THAT cheap and all the effort and mess involved.

I did catcha few fish on em, but class the exercise as a bit of fun rather than a viable alternative to what I use now.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone have any recipes where you don't have to buy the latest flavours and base mixes from the tackle shop. ie ingredients you might find in your cupboards at home.

4oz Casilan

4oz Wheatgerm

4oz Ground Almonds

Mix with eggs. :fish:

:fish:

:fish:

I really do hate to be a spoilsport, but after years of making a mess with bait making and stinking the house out, I've come to the conclusion that you are far better off investing in a bag of high quality commercially made baits and using hemp, corn, maize, chick peas and/or Vitalin as the attractors.

I think some of the bait companies well and truly conned many people a few years ago (with the help of certain "celebrity" anglers), into thinking that carpet bombing with fifty quid's worth of expensive bait per session was the only way to go. If you want to go down that route then good luck to you, but I honestly think that the intelligent use of maize, chick peas or even tiger nuts (which personally, I've never caught a damned thing on) will catch you more fish than knocking up what are quite likely to be very poor boilies made from cheap ingredients.

Just a personal opinion you understand.

Peter,

If you get high quality commercial baits that are freezer baits then I'd concur they are as good as home mades. Shelf lifes however I don't think are. That said if you make boilies from scratch it will be more hit and miss than if you buy off the shelf base mixes and just make as per the recipe.

Don't also forget that a lot of waters ban particles. I can use hemp and maize but nothing else - and if I fish with maize I'm gonna catch a lot of big rudd.

Lastly don't forget the nutritional angle; If you want to try and give the fish a better diet then boilies are undoubtedly better than particles. Nothing wrong with particles though it's just that there are a lot of factors for people to take into account when selecting their bait.

Rob.

P.S. And no-one mentioned groundbait either. I've been using that this winter - ain't caught on it yet but it's without doubt a good and cheap approach, especially in the colder months.

the main reason why i wanted to make my own boilies is i thaught it will work out much cheaper.but from what some of you have said i am re-considering. have to say though that when i was a young boy i went fishing with my grandad once or twice and he used a mix of maizemeal and either curry or vinilla that he cooked. this made a very sort of stiff porridgelike bait that he put directly on the hook.and believe me he used to catch allot of fish.

I know how to make this porridge so what i will do is next time i go fishing i will make this and roll it as boilies and let them dry. If this works i will be more than happy to put the recipe on the net.

Thanks for all the replies

Keep fishing

Big Jo :thumbs:

Big Jo

Go BIG or go Home

the main reason why i wanted to make my own boilies is i thaught it will work out much cheaper.but from what some of you have said i am re-considering. have to say though that when i was a young boy i went fishing with my grandad once or twice and he used a mix of maizemeal and either curry or vinilla that he cooked. this made a very sort of stiff porridgelike bait that he put directly on the hook.and believe me he used to catch allot of fish.

I know how to make this porridge so what i will do is next time i go fishing i will make this and roll it as boilies and let them dry. If this works i will be more than happy to put the recipe on the net.

Thanks for all the replies

Keep fishing

Big Jo :thumbs:

You can make a bait like that and it is possible to catch fish on it, but in all honesty I doubt if it would be as effective as plain bread flake or crust.

Regarding the banned particles, it doesn't seem to make sense to allow a largely indigestible bait such as maize and then ban a comparitively nutritious bait like chick peas. It is true though that quite a few fishery rules are made with little regard to common sense, especially those run by match fishing clubs.

I have often heard it said that frozen baits are superior to shelf life ones and although in theory, the fewer additives there are the better, all such good intentions go out the window if you think of some of the flavour levels employed. Apart from anything else though, I just haven't found frozen baits to be any better than shelf lifes - quite the opposite in fact, but this is admittedly from a limited personal experience of them. I bought a bag of frozen Active-8 baits that were all far to soft to put out for long, although they would have been useful for barbel. In contrast, I would trust shelf life Triggas to catch me fish anywhere. If I could only use one boilie ever again they would definitely be my first choice.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

Carpworld no1 back in `88 changed my fishing. Ken Townley wrote an article about bait and gave this simple recipe.

Its an amazing mix and a doddle to do:

6oz Nectarblend

2oz Robin Red

2oz Wheat Gluten

5mls Banana flavour

Cheap, cheerful and effective and I will guarantee that you will be using a bait thats a mile apart from anything else others use on your water.

wolf.gif

• 2 weeks later...

caught my first 20lb carp on home-made boilies back in the eighties.the ingredients that i used were as follows..................

8oz soya flour

4oz semolina

1oz wheat gluten

3oz baby milk powder

6 eggs

boil 90 secs

i added curry masala powder to mine 1tspoon

10 ml glycerine to sweeten

believe me it doesnt hurt to experiment a 22lb mirror didnt object

happy rolling.

believe me it doesnt hurt to experiment a 22lb mirror didnt object

happy rolling.

Believe me it does hurt when you get it wrong. I used a good commercial base mix on one water and never had a bite on it, yet it worked elsewhere. That can very easily become a common scenario when you play around with baits.

Don't get me wrong, if you enjoy messing about then go at it. Don't however kid yourself that your results will be better because of it because it's likely that they won't be until you've figured out what does and doesn't work.

Rob.