What do you want?

So, to answer Ken's question, my concern isn't that we need to put forward different people on behalf of organised angling, it's that I feel that the views of those who are not part of any organisations may not be being heard. We can't choose people to represent individuals, and I feel that it's a duty of a consulting body to go beyond simply asking organised bodies what they think.

That's a very good point Steve and one which will be addressed during the public consultation, which will form part of the process of the strategy's evolution.

The Great British Sea Angling public should have a 3 month window of opportunity to discuss the final draft, which will be issued by Defra as a discussion document, where various questions will be posed e.g do you agree with bag limits? what do you see as the benefits or drawbacks of bag limits.

Any response doesn't have to stick to answering the questions posed either. If people feel strongly enough to introduce examples or comments on issues that are not specifically included in the consultation papers, then they can raise their points in their written submissions.

As with all recent public consultations on marine issues - if you or your club (speaking generally, not personally here) don't write a response, then sea anglers will not be taken seriously and those who are organised and keen to see the introduction of the evils of bag limits and licences will form the majority - guess what the outcome will be then?

We know the consultation is coming and some organisations are already attempting to ensure that anglers are made aware of it, either by providing lists of angling clubs, businesses, charters etc. to Defra, so that they may be included in the consultation process and invited to respond, or by ensuring that their members will be consulted and informed, in plenty of time to get their pens and papers at the ready.

Cheers

Steve

Edited by steve pitts

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not a member of any organisation, but the government know my opinions. How? Simple, when the government put out a consultation document last year I took the trouble to fill it in. Took all of half an hour. Only about two thousand anglers bothered to do this. Given that level of apathy, I'm surprised they are even bothering to talk to us at all!

Hmm. How will the "average bloke on the beach" angler know about this to have his say? Will there be prominent notices in tackle shops, or mass media coverage?

Hmm. How will the "average bloke on the beach" angler know about this to have his say? Will there be prominent notices in tackle shops, or mass media coverage?

Hi Steve

Easier said than done perhaps?

I don't really see Defra sending posters to tackle shops, or placing adverts in the daily's, or announcing the consultation on News at 10 or Sky News.

They will however, by now, have the names and addresses of many tackle retailers and manufacturers, angling clubs, charter businesses, thanks to Leon et al, providing the details. If the current consultation on Defra's 20 year marine plan is anything to go by, the RSA contact list is a couple of hundred names long now.

I think it has been mentioned elsewhere that the bass MLS consultation papers went out to around only 20 RSA parties, such was the commercial focus by Defra. This very low initial contact rate was however translated into somewhere approaching 1,500 RSA responses, once again due to publicity generated by SACN and other orgs.

Perhaps with such a higher number of groups and businesses being invited to contribute, the number who will participate will be even higher, once the average bloke on the beach gets wind of it via websites and internet forums such as this, the sea angling media (I think that TSF will run at least 2 features on the RSA strategy consultation) and if clubs can mailshot their members with the consultation details, giving some guidance perhaps, on how their committees view the pros and cons.

Posters or leaflets in tackle shops will require someone from the RSA camp in designing the posters, printing them up, distributing them with some background info and encouraging the shop owners to put them up.

A job for the NFSA, regional federations or local clubs perhaps?

Judging by the strength of feeling on some of the issues, I would love to see a consultation post bag in excess of 20,000 on this one - even if they all just say 'stick your licence' - doubtless though, many will be well thought out and rational responses in keeping with the thoughtful and rational group of people we are.

Cheers

Steve

I think you're right that it will be down to angling groups to try to inform people of their right to participate. I actually think that's wrong, and that DEFRA should be obliged to commission a survey of opinions, but I recognise that's unlikely. Perhaps the thing to do then is to boil the proposals for public consultation down into bullet points with "agree"/"disagree"/"agree on condition that" options on leaflets pre-printed with the reply address on the back. I suppose it would be too much to expect a freepost address from them?

I am not a member of any organisation, but the government know my opinions. How? Simple, when the government put out a consultation document last year I took the trouble to fill it in. Took all of half an hour. Only about two thousand anglers bothered to do this. Given that level of apathy, I'm surprised they are even bothering to talk to us at all!

Where did you hear about it? and how did you come to be filling it in?

I for one have only just discovered this 'e-fishing' malarky and to be honest, regrettably spend far more time at this than real fishing!

If I ever get the hang of it they'll bloody well ban it!

By the way anyone fancy sponsoring me in the WSOP?

Hi roryh

you could do worse than sign up to SACN - it's free - and thanks to Leons hard work you'll keep pretty well informed about whats going on. if you don't want to join then just keep dropping by the website.

Nick

...life

what's it all about...?

Hi roryh

you could do worse than sign up to SACN - it's free - and thanks to Leons hard work you'll keep pretty well informed about whats going on. if you don't want to join then just keep dropping by the website.

cheers nick,

Done that a bit back & you're right he's a bit busy isnt he!

If I ever get the hang of it they'll bloody well ban it!

By the way anyone fancy sponsoring me in the WSOP?

Where did you hear about it? and how did you come to be filling it in?

I for one have only just discovered this 'e-fishing' malarky and to be honest, regrettably spend far more time at this than real fishing!

I'll show you how to do some real fishing at easter if you want roryh, iv'e booked three days on a boat in paignton, just say the word.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Hi Steve

Easier said than done perhaps?

I don't really see Defra sending posters to tackle shops, or placing adverts in the daily's, or announcing the consultation on News at 10 or Sky News.

They will however, by now, have the names and addresses of many tackle retailers and manufacturers, angling clubs, charter businesses, thanks to Leon et al, providing the details. If the current consultation on Defra's 20 year marine plan is anything to go by, the RSA contact list is a couple of hundred names long now.

I think it has been mentioned elsewhere that the bass MLS consultation papers went out to around only 20 RSA parties, such was the commercial focus by Defra. This very low initial contact rate was however translated into somewhere approaching 1,500 RSA responses, once again due to publicity generated by SACN and other orgs.

Perhaps with such a higher number of groups and businesses being invited to contribute, the number who will participate will be even higher, once the average bloke on the beach gets wind of it via websites and internet forums such as this, the sea angling media (I think that TSF will run at least 2 features on the RSA strategy consultation) and if clubs can mailshot their members with the consultation details, giving some guidance perhaps, on how their committees view the pros and cons.

Posters or leaflets in tackle shops will require someone from the RSA camp in designing the posters, printing them up, distributing them with some background info and encouraging the shop owners to put them up.

A job for the NFSA, regional federations or local clubs perhaps?

Judging by the strength of feeling on some of the issues, I would love to see a consultation post bag in excess of 20,000 on this one - even if they all just say 'stick your licence' - doubtless though, many will be well thought out and rational responses in keeping with the thoughtful and rational group of people we are.

Cheers

Steve

Nice to see someone giving some thought to a real issue rather than debating hook sizes.

Why hasn't the timescale been extended and the issue of communication brought to the top of the agenda ?