buying maggots off the net

jet-ski

You could always try and raise your own

get two sheeps or pigs hearts from the butchers and put them in a dark corner for a couple of days or hide them at the bottom of a garden and cover them with slates so that they remain dark.

The flies will find them and after two days you will have enough fly blow on them to make plenty of maggots. Place the hearts into a bucket with a sealable lid on and the maggots will grow fat and quick on the now decomposing heart. The smell is awful when you take off the lid but riddle and clean the maggots and you will end up with pints of them for next to nothing.

It doesnt matter where you live there must be a butchers or a meat counter at the supermarket somewhere close. Give it a try with just one heart and see how you get on.

jet-ski,

I used to think maggots were the be all and end all and used to have to travel miles to get them.

Even though I can get them localy now I rarely bother. I prefer to use particles for most of my fishing mainly Hemp,Tares,Maple-Peas and wheat and there are loads more to choose from.

one thing I like about particle baits is they are easy to store and you can buy them in bulk off the Internet and will last you for ages.

Depends on the fish you're after but if you haven't tried them already you definitely should.

Paul

i tried collecting maggots with a small chicken but the smell was so bad i couldnt clean up the mess. im a bit of a wuss when it comes to smells that bad. my girlfriend did it for me. with all the messing about id rather buy them. if i was looking for around a pint or 2, how much meat should i leave out. i would like it if i could leave out just enough so all of it will be consumed.

Worms don't smell and catch plenty of fish. I often think maggots have been over fished a bit. Maybe the fish prefer something a bit different for a change.

Careful with particle baits like hemp, some waters don't allow them. Worth checking before you fish.

:)

I mainly use hemp as loose feed or but a bed of it down on the bottom. With hemp I will use tares or other bigger particles for the hook. Hemp is a good attractor for most coarse fish including Carp. It just has to be soaked and boiled before use.

Good places to buy bait online,

http://www.ccmoore.com/

http://www.unitytackle.co.uk/carpshack.htm

There are others but cant find links atm.

paul

[ 29. April 2005, 12:51 PM: Message edited by: P@UL ]

cheers for the help. iv now bought a pack of kedneys. gave all but one to my cat. the one is in a tub making one hell of a stink. plenty of eggs on it mind. so hopefully they will hatch then eat all of the kidney thus calming the smell a bit. any one know the best way to lean them?