11/03/07 East Portlemouth / Salcombe Estuary Fishing Report

yakerbass

Not many fish but a good day had by all ; )

Very early start !!! Mark and Chinny Were knocking on my door at 4:45,

we loaded the 3 yaks on to marks galaxy and set off to meet jonsok.

Set off to North sands in Salcombe Just across the Estuary from

East Portlemouth, arrived about 5:30, it seemed an age before we had unpacked

the gear and ready for the water, it might of had something to do with Chinny cooking

sausage and bacon butties for breakfast ; ) Also the immaculate bate preparation

and distribution by mark !!! What a star, and don't stop eating Chinese food mark the

containers were spot on (see pic)

The North sands car park cost for the day was £4 so not too bad, I think it was about 6:30

by the time we were heading down the ramp to the beach, by this time the wind had built up

to a steady southerly (the forecast was s/w) ? right in our face for a tricky launch.

We had no issues on launch apart from a full cockpit of water. We then headed towards the sand

bars close to the mouth, the Idea was to paddle out and let the wind blow us across the fishing

ground, we managed to do this for a while and jonsok hooked a small Pollack, and mark a whiting

but the swell got a little big so we headed into the estuary where things were a little better for a while.

Jonsok tried his luck deeper into the Estuary and we stopped for a cuppa and a chat about tactics,

we decided to give the area close to the beach a try as Chinny hooked up with a whiting on the way

in, this is where the fun and games started.

we spread out to give ourselves enough room to fish and conditions seemed to be a little better so we

decided to anchor up, this turned out to be the wrong thing to do for me ! I did not have enough line out

on my anchor and the swell picked up again before I could react, I had capsized.

I uprighted my kayak on the second attempt and mounted it on the first, everything went well apart from the loss

of one VHF Radio but that will be replaced.

we headed back to the beach to sort my yak and put some dry clothes on, after a nice warm cuppa I was ready

to fish again, so we headed back out to meet up with Jonsok1 on the south sands beach to find out how he got on

jonsok1 decided to land on South sands due to the heavy waves crashing on North sands, it was much calmer over

that side so we decided to fish that area and Jonsok1 called it a day, ( loved your new yak BTW Jon, see pic )the fishing

was very slow I hooked up with a coley and mark had a reasonable wrasse.

we fished on until about 4:30 then headed back to Northsands ( Thought about landing at South Sands but Chinny

talked us out of it, but I have got a feeling he wished he did not : )

The waves looked fine from a distance but as we approached them we realised caution was needed. I went first and

mark followed with no issues, chinny next !!!! whoops a wave turned him sideways and over he went we rushed to his

aid but he was fine ( let the laughter begin) he had one of the self inflating life jackets on and it worked fine (see pic )

he lost an anchor and a pair of sunglasses so not too bad.

Cant wait for the next trip lads ............. Regards YB

SALCOMBE200713.jpg

SalcombetripMarkPauljonRob11-03-200.jpg

SalcombetripMarkPauljonRob11-03--2.jpg

SalcombetripMarkPauljonRob11-03--1.jpg

SalcombetripMarkPauljonRob11-03--4.jpg

SalcombetripMarkPauljonRob11-03--6.jpg

SalcombetripMarkPauljonRob11-03--3.jpg

chinnysalcombe11-03-07.jpg

SalcombetripMarkPauljonRob11-03--8.jpg

SALCOMBE200726.jpg

coleysalcombe11-03-07.jpg

SalcombetripMarkPauljonRob11-03--7.jpg

SALCOMBE200712.jpg

Edited by yakerbass
anglersnetsig.jpg

Good looking fleet lads! Glad you had a good day and stayed safe. Personally, I think it's OK to test your limits when there's a bunch of you, as long as you're mindful of the abilities and experience of weaker members of the group. Obviously a different matter when you fish alone, cos that always going to be you. :thumbs:

C'mon the fish, we're all waiting :fish::clap2:

Nice report and pics lads :thumbs:But you missed out the pic of the inflated Life jacket after the dunking.

I went to South sands whilst on Holiday a few years back.Its a lovely place......Speciman,As for the Kayaks looking like new,What do you excpect from fine weather Yakers :rolleyes: ,But then again not everyones kayaks look like a butchers block ,Unlike ours after a marathon trip :clap2:

zzippy2.gif

Great report YB. Looks a right good day ooot.

1 on the lure is worth 2 from the bait.

Location Pembrokeshire

Kayak's

OK Prowler Trident Yellow

Kaskazi Pelican Orange on White ( CEZI B ) from www.kayakuk.com

Wilderness Tarpon 120 Yellow

Dughters Kayak OK Venus Blue & White (Kristi Boo)

Cobra Fish & Dive Blue

Tamar For Angle R.N.L.I

Great report and pics Yakerbass. Need to watch those old chinese bait boxes, do the same myself for plugs and the like, no matter how many times they are washed out, get a few Rapala's that have distinct aroma :D

2006 Launches: 8

2006 Species: 5

2007 Species: 19

2007 Launches: 42

2008 Species: 21

2008 Launches: 51

2009 Species: 24

2009 Launches: 47

2010 Launches 35

2010 Species 25

2011 Launches 23

2011 Species 20