German Girl Two

Peter Waller

Patty, little meat pies in England, read this:

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/index.p...&hl=Wingham

It might help you. Mr Burke, the man who owns the lakes, is a very, very nice man. However, there is a limit as to how many can attend such a fish-in. If not this time then next time. Its really a case of keeping your eyes open for announcements, they are popular affairs.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rabbit said:

I am sorry the original thread was 'pulled' but we have to live with that on here, I think Newt is a very good moderator, but is a bit trigger happy at times dry.gif (American)

Don't worry about Newt, I've had a word with his Missus, she tells me there will be no 'afters' following his supper tonight!

Neil and Peter. I knew you were good guys and that you wouldn't pass me aside. A Father and a Grandfather, how lovely. May I ask, how many children you have, Neil? And you Peter, how many children and grandchildren? Maybe I'll be a mother some day too. It would be nice. :2:

Your working a lot, Neil. Always coming home so late, but you always seem to find time to take a look in the forum. And I enjoy chating with you. Do you still find time to fish next to your job?

And you know how much I enjoy chating with you, Peter. Thanks for the tip about the fish-ins and of course for the link. I'll pay that site a visite soon, and keep my eyes open. :sun:

By the way Peter you must have a lot of experience in fishing. Boy, what I can learn from you.

Ps.: Question for everybody: Why an when do you have a season, when you are not allowed to fish in england?

Your,

Patty

Edited by Patrizia

4ham55k.jpg

They have a closed season that started yesterday and will run for several months. No one is quite sure why though.

Only applies to non-tidal sections of rivers and for coarse fish (so not trout, salmon, and similar or eels).

The annual fish-in that Steve Burke hosts on his lakes at Wingham in Kent will be the last weekend in May I think. Open on a first-ask basis to any members of AnglersNet and it should be fine to bring along your spouse. Steve will post on here when closer to the event for interested people to notify him and he will take requests until he is at capacity. Preference given to members who have not fished a previous event.

Peter is a nice man with a very nice wife. He is older than dirt (his avatar photo is from long, long ago) but still pretty spry for his age and I really hope I can get around that well when I am that old. I know him because he and Mrs. Peter were kind enough to host Jan & me for a few days when we visited the UK.

Rabbit and most of the others I only 'know' because of our long time on this forum.

If you want salmon and other largish fish without having to put to sea, you need to speak to Severus. He has a nice lake or two and several rivers near his home that hold some really good fish. Salmon spawn in a small stream in his back yard but they are not in a mood to be caught when they are in that mode.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Thanks Newt for answering my questions. :clap:

We have something like closing season too in Germany, but fishing is only closed for the fish that is mating (making babies, I don't know if "mating" is the right word for it). And of course, and that runs for the entire year, to little fish, that hadn't the chance to have there fun, are not allowed to be cought at all. That law is only about some fish, like pike and zander and so on. You can't help it, if you catch one, but you should not fish for them deliberately. Do you know how many month the clossing season lasts?

The fish-ins sound great, and Kent is not far away from where I live, only about 563 kilometers - about 352 miles. May is usualy a good month, not to cold :cold: , not to warm. I'm looking forward to that.

I agree, that Peter is nice - the little devils helper. Age :wheelchair: doesn't matter, he seems to be young at heart. I like him very much, he makes me laugh, and I'm glad for him, that he has found a nice wife. Hope that I will meet her too, when I'm in britain. I wish I looked half as good as his avatar picture. :hypocrite:

I haven't met Severus yet in the forum, but I hope I will. Fishing at his place sounds good, but I truely believe in catch and release. I even do that here in Germany, and that against the law, wicked me. :nono: But I only do, what makes sence for me. I don't kill, because a stupid law tells me to.

Thanks again Newt, that was very informative. :thumbs:

4ham55k.jpg

Hi everybody,

Neil has told me a bit about Worcestershire, and I've looked it up in google. I've found the river Avon an Arrow. How is it to fish on those rivers? What fish are cought there? Please give me more information about this county, all that you know about it.

How is it to fish in Wales. Wales lookes very nice too. And how about the Lake District?

Until now nobody said anything about fishing in south england, only about middle and north england. And how is t to fish in a loch in scotland. What is caught there? Would I need any special equipment for that. How and where do I get a licence to fish there and how much does it cost? Is the clossing Season also in force for lochs?

Many qestions I know, :wacko: but I hope, that somebody will answer them for me.

Yours,

Patty

4ham55k.jpg

Patrizia,

I have fished the Avon in Worcestershire, mostly in the Fladbury/Cropthorne/Charlton area. The fishing is very good. The species I have caught are: minnow, bleak, dace, gudgeon, roach, chub, bream, perch, ruffe, barbel, pike and eel. I believe there are also carp and zander (but I have not caught any). I have always got on very well with the maggot feeder method and the fishing is non-stop (in the summer). I allow about 2 pints of maggotts for a four hour session. Brown's Ironmongers in Pershore sell maggotts and tackle and day tickets (£5) for the Birmingham Anglers Association parts of the river. I believe the fishing is free in Pershore and Evesham town centres.

The rivers are closed until 16 June.

The Birmingham Anglers Association (BAA) has a good web site with lots of information HERE

Browns of Pershore HERE

Edited by Ian FG

Hi Ian,

thank you very much for the accurate information. The Avon sounds like a great place to fish. With so many diffrent sorts of fish to catch, it isn't so bad that carps and zanders are rare. Maggotts and a feederrod is my kind of fishing. And in the summer night fishing is allowed too. Sounds nearly to good to be true. I wish, I could travel right now to the Avon. The price for a ticket is also alright, and maybe even free fishing. Boy, I wish we had that here. :D

Thanks also for given me the links. I'll inform myself right away.

May I ask, what the biggest fish was, that you have ever caught on the Avon? Are there good places to rent a room, at a decent price?

Thanks again for all the information.

Patty

Edit: I just followed your link to Brown's Ironmongers. That looks like the place, were I could spent hours looking around.

Edited by Patrizia

4ham55k.jpg

Hi Peter,

everything you say love. You actually call Newt "original pilgrim father" :D Man you make more laugh then Kenneth Williams with his "Rambling Syd Rumpo".

But no matter how old you are, for me your young at heart!!! :hug:

4ham55k.jpg