German Girl Two

Peter Waller

Hi Paul,

thanks for answering my questions. So you fish in West Yorkshire. I've looked iot fast up in google-images and I must say it's very beautyful. I even saw a gorgeous Abbey in Leeds, it looks very nostalgic, very mystic - now the vampire-novel writer speaks. What river or lake do you fish in? I've ound so many rivers in West Yorkshire in the internet - aire, Calder, Colne, Hebble, Holme, Laneshaw, Spen, Ryburn, Went, Worth and Wharfe. The only one that I by word is the river aire. What do you know abot this rivers? How is it to fish there? Are Cock Beck and Meanwood Beck also rivers?

Congratulations for catching a greyling. How big can they get?

Your mother is a Ostfriese now, that's a beautiful part of germany. :thumbs: Nice to life up there. Is your mom a brit living in germany or is she german? One joke, I've got to: A woman from Ostfriesland is running full of happiness to her husband, after they just have moved, and speaks: Love, we have a new washingmachine, it was already in the bathroom, when we moved in. I just put 5 shirts in it and flushed it! :bigemo_harabe_net-163:

About Berlin. I have to say that what happend to Berlin, after the wall came down, happend to my part of germany too. Many russians came to life here and since then it's not nice to life here anymore for a german. I don't want to go to much into detail, but many of them are criminal and they don't want to learn our language, so it's hard to life with them.I'm glad there free now, but why do they have to act like that. :schmoll:

I'm sorry, that I've asked you so many questions and for the stupid joke of Ostfriesland. I didn't want to make fun of your mother, it's just hard for a german not to make fun of that part of germany - we're so much use to it.

Hi Phil,

thanks for asking about my cat. He's doing fine. The operation went well. Unfortunately they had to operate his eye out, but the doctor said, that, even though he's very old, he had a strong heart, and a healthy blood, and that he could live for a few more years. Maybe I can take him home this evening. I hope so, because I miss him very much. He sleeps over my head and I don't sleep well without him next tom me. If you're around an animal for such a long time, then it belongs to the family. I'm sorry to hear that from your cat. Is there nothing at all they can do to make her eat? The doctor said to me, that cats sleep up to 16 hours a day, that would be normal, because my Teddy is sleeping nearly all day too. What's your cats name?

So your wife sells wedding items. If I were not married yet, I'de look it up. :clap2: Is she successful with it? And you are packing it up. I hate posting things, it's so time consuming. I let my husband pack and post things too, he doesn't mind doing it eather.

Thanks for your detailled description of your fishinggrounds. The tyne must be a very nice river to fish. I've heared about that river now a few times in the forum. But I've never heared about the river irthing and the keilder forrest before. I'll look it up in google. Must be a very nice and quiet place to fish. I would like to go fishing with you there, it sounds so nice. :thumbs: River irthing sounds a bit like the river Nahe in my area, it's a little river, but there are some nice spots to fish. We have many red squirrels where I live, but we don't have the grey ones. I like those animals very much, they're so cute. Why is the genetic strain of the fish in the river irthing unique? It's a bit unfortunate, that you don't have still waters in your area. Why is that?

The careertraining of Junior Chamber of Commerce sounds very professional. Maybe I could use that for selling my book, since you've told me, that there is a junior chamber of commerce near where I live. Where will it take place and when is it? Even though the bookshops take it from me, the beginner. I have no idea why. :blink: Will you be there too?

Don't work to hard! :rolleyes:

Patty

4ham55k.jpg

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Patty,

No probs as regards the joke.....my Mum tells a good joke to the locals too. She's not from there. She is German - my Dad was a British soldier stationed in Germany, but she's from Dresden originally although as a young girl the family walked, for the most part, to Oldenburg to escape the bombing.

I know the Aire and the Wharfe very well indeed. In fact I live a short distance from both. Many people say the Aire is in big trouble fishing wise. My local club conducted some research and concluded that the river populations of young fish were worryingly declining. I still enjoy fishing there though.

I'll post a link for you of another old local Abbey here. It's one of my mums 'must do' visits everytime she comes across - it's only a few km from where I live. You can see some views of the River Wharfe here. It can get mad with tourists at times, so I tend to fish further down river or even in the upper reaches of it. A lovely river!

Cod Beck could be termed a little river which I think basically runs from Cod Reservoir and into the river.

The grayling is rapidly becoming my favourite fish. The Germans know it as the Asche (A mit ein umlaut) 'Die Bachforelle'.

[edit note: If you want Ä you need to hold down the Alt key while keying in 0196 from the number pad. Newt]

The UK record is about 2 kilos I think. There has recently been an Anglers Net 'fish in' that Seph organised on one of the famous southern rivers. I always seem to be unavailable to travel down to fish one. Hopefully, one day, I can make one though. There are some pictures posted of some of the grayling they caught - sounded like a good day was had by all.

Edited by Newt

Paul

I've just got back from the doctor. My cat must stay for one more day. :bye2: Was hard to leave him there, but he is still a bit shaken up by the operation. I wanted to have him home so much. :cry:

Dear Paul,

If your mum is from germany, then you are half a countryman of mine. That's nice. Did you life in german and do you speak german? Looks like your mum had a hard childhood, growing up in world war two. My grandmother always tells me about her growing up during the war, that was horrible. I'm sorry, that your mum had to go through all that! :sad2:

Thanks for the link. Bolton Hall looks very nice. That's the kind of house, I would like to own - very stylish!!! And I must say, that the countryside of Yorkshire is more then beautiful. I would like to live there. :thumbs: And then the Abbey. I love gothic architecture. Thanks again very much for showing me a beautyful part of the UK. :clap3:

Your mum likes old Abbeys, like me, it's the history about it that faszinates me. Seems to be a german thing. I know many people who like old churches and ruins of any kind.

Thanks for the information about the rivers in your area. It's much nicer to read it by someone that is fishing there, then to look it up in google. It's the personal touch, that's missing. Did they find out why the populations of young fish in the river aire is worryingly declining? Was to much fished in the river in the past? How is fishing in the river Wharfe? Are there enough fish in it?

The Äsche is what you call a grayling, finally I know. That's a nice fish and we learned in fishing lessons, that the flesh of the grayling smells like thyme. I don't know if it's true, because I've never seen one, appart from a picture in a book. There are not many in our rivers, unfortunately. But I would like to catch one. :fishing1: The Bachforelle is also a nice fish. We have them here often. My brother in law caught one last year in the river Nahe.

It's really nice chating with you. So many information. I like that. :thumbs:

Yours,

Patty

4ham55k.jpg

I'm originally from Bingley, very close to Silsden, and it is beautiful on the wharf at Bolton Abbey.

One of the "famous" vampire stories, count dracula, was based around Whitby Abbey, a stunning property on the cliff tops overlooking the North Sea in North Yorkshire. I must recommend Yorkshire, the North York Moors near Whitby, and the upper wharf and air "Dales" which are part of the delightful yorkshire dales are lovely places to get lost in. The famous travel writer, Bill Bryson, chose Malham at the source of the river aire, just a few miles from Bolton Abbey, as his base for his stay in the UK which is a high recommendation indeed.

hope the cat's OK, mines eating today...and eating everything....she's trying to get the dog's food which isn't making her very popular.

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

Morning,

I've looked Bingley up in the Internet, which seems to be a nice little town in west Yorkshire, with a beautyful church. And the Leeds-Liverpool Canal in Silsden, which seems to be a pretty little town to, with all those long boats on it, looks very nice to fish in. Is it allowed to fish in that canal and what kind of fish are in it?

So Bram Stoker based his Carfax Abbey in Dracula, one of my favorite books, on Whitbey Abbey. :clap2::bounce: Now I must visite your area for shure. I had no idea. Did Bram Stoker live in that area? I looked Whitbey Abbey, of coarse, up in google and I must say, that I found aome great pictures. I could really imagine Dracula occupying that old ruin. :thumbs:

I've never seen a Moor in real life, but the one in Yorkshire reminds me of the "Lüneburger Heide" in Germany, with the heath, even though Yorkshire looks a bit more rustic. The Lüneburger Heide in Germany was created by the sheeps, that's why it's now slowly disappearing, becouse only a few people are having sheep in that area. How is that in Yorkshire, are there many sheep around? The yorkshire dales, that google showed me, are very pretty, nice to take a long wealk in nature. It reminds me a bit of scotland, the stone houses and the stone wales surrounding them, in the soft looking hills. At least, that's how I imagine Scotland.

Bill Bryson is a very famous author. I hope I'll make it as far as he did. I've heared he lives now in Wymondham in Norfolk.

Hopefully I can take my cat home tonight - keep your fingers crossed. And I'm so glad, that your cat is eating again, even if she's trying to eat the poor dogs food. :clap: I'm happy for you, that she's eating again, I know how much an animal can be attached to ones heart.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Patty

4ham55k.jpg

I get it! the reason Patty is here!

she is planning her next book, where a german Vampire visits our shores for fresh sport! Kills off an entire forum of fishermen, Nicks the complete stock of Carp from the UK,

Can´t reveal too much at this point, but patty goes on, to be the next Joanne K. Rawlings

:D :D

steve, you so lie, you love nothing better than setting up 12 carp rods on their bite indicators, piling 2 tonne of ready made boilies into the swim via your 30ft bait boat, putting on your bivvy slippers, and going to bed whislt watching your surround sound HD TV. :lol:

patty, the moors above silsden and bingley and the whole of the dales, are full of sheep. The north york moors near whitby are also sheep heathland, desolate but beautiful.

Silsden is on the outskirts of an unpleasant looking town called Keighley which along with the nearest city, Bradford, need a lot of help in the beauty stakes, but the hills around them are wonderful. Haworth is only a few KM from Silsden, that's where all of the bronte books (wuthering heights etc) are based.

The canal at silsden is the leeds to liverpool canal. The fishing is controled by Keighley angling club and day tickets can be bought from KD tackle in Keighley and the tackle shop in silsden which paul will have to remind me the name of.

species range from small gudgeon roach and perch through to mediom sized pike, bream and some large carp (10kg +)

if you do go to silsden, the river can also provide some great fish and tickets for that are also available from the shops. The main species are, from memory, chub and pike. Both of which can grow quite big. There is also a trout fishing reservoir above silsden and I believe you can buy tickets to fish it from the office at the reservoir.

i used to live 3 km from silsden and it is lovely

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

Phil,

The Silsden tackle shop is called 'GeeTee' after G.T. aka Geoff Trigg. He is a member of Bradford Waltonians who have the sole rights to fishing in both Silsden and the nearby Chelker reservoirs. Definitely no day tickets available and dead mans shoes to join the club - not to mention lots of dosh. He has, in the past, threatened to use a guest ticket on me though.... :thumbs:

Keighley's not too bad on the cosmetic front in reality is it? It's just the inbreds who reside there I have a problem with.........

Paul