German Girl Two

Peter Waller

Hi Flying Tench,

nice, that you replied to my questions.

I think most people in the rest of Britain don't mind which country Ulster (N. Ireland) is part of, but the Northern irish do!

Why do you call N. Ireland Ulster? That's a strange name. And what do you mean when you wrote, but the notheren irish do. Does that mean, they want to be part of great britain and don't be with there countrymen of Southern Ireland. :g:

Well in some ways he was a 'nasty piece of work' but, strangely, he is thought to have been a good king.

I suppose I was abit unfair to Henry VIII. I know, that, looking back at the old times, one can't judge there behavior with a modern mind. Men ruled the world in those days and before Elisabeth I, they had no idea, that a woman could be a good queen. I suppose in a few hundred years people will think, we today were cruel and cracy too. Talking about the old days. Did they burn witches in the UK too. Over here we actually still have many places, all over the country, where they burned those poor women - the men of the church - even Martin Luther did that. And every first of may, we germans make witches-fires there. How disrespectful of the death of all these innocent women is that. :thumbdown:

And you are also a vampire, which does make you quite broad-minded!

You see, for me, beeing one doesn't rule out the other. Vampires and there world is fantasy and me beeing a christian - regardless if beeing a protestant or a catholic -, that's reality. I can separate them very well. And I'm not the only one here in germany, who has a fantasyworld and a world in reality, but even if I would be the only one, it wouldn't matter to me. My fantasy helps me very much with my writing, and beeing an author of horror-novels that helps me a lot. :thumbs:

So you are a vicar. How cool is that. A vampire chating with a vicar. :D Talking about the catholic church beeing reformed. There are some reforms, that I would approve of very much. Like excepting homosexuality as beeing a normal way of living, even though I'm heterosexual, but I don't want to see priests and nuns getting married. They should love god trough all people. If you're married, you love god through one person. And of course, I want to keep our pope as highest figur in the church. People need a good person to look up to. If a persons chooses that way of life, they know, what they have to expect. I think our protestant church was a bit to much reformed, by our good Martin Luther. That's why I'm thinking of becoming a catholic. I'm trying o find a church, that understands my believe. But that's just my opinien, everybody must love god in his or her one way, as god loves all of his children in his way. That's why I find it good, that there are so many diffrent religions exist:thumbs:, but makes it hard to choose Tell me more about your life as vicar. What is the diffrence between a priest and a vicar and about your church?

Thanks for telling me about Jonne Done. His work sounds very interesting, I must read a book of him. You've got anome of one of his books for me.

Tell me more about your church and the anglers' way of life, please. That does interest me very much. Do you like the pope? Are there nuns and monks in your christian religion? Who is the highest person in your church? Sorry for the many questions, but I'm so exited, chating with a vicar. :thumbs:

Edited by Patrizia

4ham55k.jpg

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Flying Tench is quite right about Northern Ireland (Ulster was the ancient name) - a lot of the inhabitants are far more British than the British! Patriotism of that sort has become a bit of an embarassment to our government (and probably the majority of the population), so most of the mainland British probably would wish for a united Ireland as much as any Irish Republican. Memories and traditions run very deep there and it's hard to imagine that the two countries will ever be truly united again (but you never know - things are starting to look a bit more hopeful now that power-sharing looks likely).

BTW, most of the Scots in Ireland originally came over centuries ago, and no longer think of themselves as Scots.

This link tells you some more about the Cornish language: http://www.cornish-language.org/english/Dictionary.asp

And this for Welsh: http://www.geiriadur.net/

Irish Gaelic: http://www.englishirishdictionary.com/

Welsh is by far the biggest in terms of numbers of people speaking it. All road signs and government documents in Wales are in Welsh as well as English. Gaelic survives more in place-names than in spoken language, although some people in the Scottish Islands still have it as a first language.

I can answer your question about witch-burning - although witches were burned in Scotland, they were usually hanged in England. This is because in Scotland (as in continental Europe) witchcraft was regarded as heresy (a crime against God). In England, it was treated as a secular crime, so hanging was the usual punishment. There are lots of modern witches in the UK these days, since the Witchcraft Act was finally repealed in 1951. Some of them claim an unbroken link with the ancient past, but most of their ceremonies are made up from fragments from various sources (including their own creativity).

Hi Flying Tench,

Tell me more about your life as vicar. What is the diffrence between a priest and a vicar and about your church?

Thanks for telling me about Jonne Done. His work sounds very interesting, I must read a book of him. You've got anome of one of his books for me.

Tell me more about your church and the anglers' way of life, please. That does interest me very much. Do you like the pope? Are there nuns and monks in your christian religion? Who is the highest person in your church? Sorry for the many questions, but I'm so exited, chating with a vicar. :thumbs:

A 'vicar' is the title of a job, ie I run a church, whereas a 'priest' is a more general word. For example, a priest might also be a hospital chaplain, or a non-stipendiary (unpaid) priest might have a secular job in the week and help in the church on a Sunday. Some christains would want to say more about a priest, theologically, but I hope that'll do for now.

I'm not aware that John Donne has written a book, but he has written many poems. If you google his name you will get some of them. He is one of the so-called 'metaphysical poets'. George Herbert is a metaphysical poet I like even more than John Donne. Try his poem 'love'.

Do I like the pope? I don't know much about the present pope, though i have heard that he is rather conservative, so I am surprised you are quite so keen on him. But I have a great respect for Roman Catholics, and even though i am at the protestant end of the spectrum I am very glad there is a catholic wing to the C of E.

The highest person in the C of E is the Archbishop of Canterbury.

What can I tell you about my church? We are quite small (70 people on a Sunday morning). We have an informal style of service with guitars etc, though a small traditional service as well. We have a real mixture of people, some quite poor, some with social problems, but I think I can say we are family. Oh, and we have recently aquired a gunge tank, so if you lose a quiz you are likely to get covered with green slime! That might appeal to you as a vampire!

john clarke

Hi Davy,

you fellas are right, the conflict in Northern Ireland is very difficult. Thanks for making the issue more clear to me. But who knows, look at germany, who did ever think, that we would be united again. I hope for a good ending for all sides.

Thanks for the Links. That will be fun to find out more about the languages of britain. :thumbs:

About witch-burning. It seems to be more mercyful to be hanged then to be burned, even though the endresult ist the same. Why was there a diffrence between scotland and england? I've heared, that the scotish have there own pound and there own parlament. Is there still a conflict between england and scotland today?

We have also a lot of witches in germany today, maybe not quite as much as you have in the UK, but witchcraft shurely had a revival. I myself was experimenting with magic. It's very interesting - to think, I would have been burned a few hundret years ago for less then that, is very scary. :wacko:

Hi Flying Tench,

The explanation about beeing a vicar was very informative, thanks for that. :thumbs:

I've already googled with the name of John Donne and I found a poem called "The Flea". That was actually very nice, a bit funny and also hard to understand for a german. But after reading it a few times, I understood it. Is that old english, in what he writes? The poem "Love" is really very beautyful, I must say. That's why I postet it, so that everybody could read, how touching old poetry can be.

LOVE bade me welcome: yet my soul drew back,

Guiltie of dust and sinne.

But quick-ey'd Love, observing me grow slack

From my first entrance in,

Drew nearer to me, sweetly questioning,

If I lack'd any thing.

A guest, I answer'd, worthy to be here:

Love said, you shall be he.

I the unkinde, ungratefull? Ah my deare,

I cannot look on thee.

Love took my hand, and smiling did reply,

Who made the eyes but I?

Truth Lord, but I have marr'd them: let my shame

Go where it doth deserve.

And know you not, sayes Love, who bore the blame?

My deare, then I will serve.

You must sit down, sayes Love, and taste my meat:

So I did sit and eat.

Isn't that lovely, the old times. :clap2: But very hard to understand.

About the pope. Many young people like him here in germany, not just me, but I do because he is conservative. He stands for the old values and for a strong believe in god. To many things in modern life are fast and easy, and he reminds me that everybody must stand up for what they believe, regardless how many people are against it. He made up his mind and stands for what he says. His word is truth to him and that makes him believable to me.

About your church. 70 People on a sunday morning, that is for a church in germany hard to achive. I think the mixture of a traditional and new service a very nice idea. You don't find that here, where I live. Only traditional services are done.

You wrote: Oh, and we have recently aquired a gunge tank, so if you lose a quiz you are likely to get covered with green slime! That might appeal to you as a vampire!

That sounds like a fun quiz, but what makes you think a vampire like green slim. :yucky:

Is the Archbishop of Canterbury married. and do you have nuns and munks in the C of E?

Nice informative chat, thanks again, fellas! :thumbs:

Patty

Edited by Patrizia

4ham55k.jpg

That sounds like a fun quiz, but what makes you think a vampire like green slim. :yucky:

Is the Archbishop of Canterbury married. and do you have nuns and munks in the C of E?

Nice informative chat, thanks again, fellas! :thumbs:

Patty

I've never met a vampire who didn't like green slime!

Yes, the A of C is married and there are monks and nuns in the C of E.

John Donne wrote in the 17th century, the same time as Shakespeare - a good time for English literature. We wouldn't use the term 'Old English', which would be reserved for (maybe 12-14th century?) when it would have been even harder to understand, but it is an older form of the language than today's - understandably hard to understand for someone for whom English is not their first language.

john clarke

Morning Flying Tench,

so you've met my kind before? :clap2:

About the literatur. The british had some great authors through all eras, just like we germans did. :thumbs: It's not just the old english or the english of shakespeares time, that is hard to understand, even the old german is difficult to, but fun to read. :thumbs: Do you have a favorite german author?

Yours,

Patty

4ham55k.jpg

Hi Flying Tench,

We do had some great composers, my favorite is Beethoven. I like Mozart too, but he is austrian. Who is your favorite composer? Haendel, was very good too, he went to england, where he died, in London on the 14th of april 1759.

Hi Tigger,

nice to meet you. Then tell me about your fishing, please. :clap2: Where do go fishing? What was your biggest catch? You've got any pictures? What's your favorite river or lake? How is fishing in your area, and how is the countryside around there? Is fishing over night allowed? What kind of fish are mostly caught there? You've got any tips for me? I like fishing for pike, zander, barbel and I would love to fish for salmon.

It would be really nice, if you could give me some tips and answer my questions. :thumbs:

Patty

Edited by Patrizia

4ham55k.jpg

The grayling is rapidly becoming my favourite fish. The Germans know it as the Asche (A mit ein umlaut) 'Die Bachforelle'.

[edit note: If you want Ä you need to hold down the Alt key while keying in 0196 from the number pad. Newt]

The UK record is about 2 kilos I think. There has recently been an Anglers Net 'fish in' that Seph organised on one of the famous southern rivers. I always seem to be unavailable to travel down to fish one. Hopefully, one day, I can make one though. There are some pictures posted of some of the grayling they caught - sounded like a good day was had by all.

Then you'll be pleased to hear that the environment agency are stocking more grayling into the Aire at Silsden and Bingley. I just read it on the front page of this site.

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY