German Girl Two

Peter Waller

the only fishery I know of in Yorkshire (or indeed in the North East of England) which has a sizeable head of Wels is near York, I cannot remember the name though we did have a joint maggott drowners/anglers net fish on there, so one of the guys on here will be able to tell me.

York is yet another fabulous British city, quite close to Whitby for the purposes of your trip.

The Wels seems to do better further south.

Your lake is making me jeolous, though I do have my beloved tyne close by, my own lake next to the house is a dream which may never reach reality as Mrs Dean is not keen on the insects they attract.

Edited by phil dean

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the only fishery I know of in Yorkshire (or indeed in the North East of England) which has a sizeable head of Wels is near York, I cannot remember the name though we did have a joint maggott drowners/anglers net fish on there, so one of the guys on here will be able to tell me.

It wasn't Emberton, was it? :unsure:

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

Hi Neil,

nice to hear from you again. :thumbs: It seems to be forever, since your last post in this topic.

So there are catfish in british rivers. That's interesting. Why are they rare in british rivers? Catfish is a very common fish in the rivers of the continent and they grow very big. Is there such a diffrence between the rivers here and the rivers in your country? Some of the catfish here are three meters in length. :unsure: Last year I went swimming in the river Rhein and during swimming a thought of such a monster, that could be near me, went through my head. I think it only took me a few seconds to get out the water, with shaking knees and a fast beating heart. :giveup:

Hi Phil,

so your wife doesn't like insects eather. They are my nightmare too. That's why I like to fish in rivers, even though the rhein has some nasty little mosquitos too. :yucky: How big can the wels grow in british rivers?

Hi John,

nice to meet you. Is someboby scared of the big wels? :rolleyes:

Patty

4ham55k.jpg

Hello Patrizia

Nooo, not scared of them at all :)

I went to the fish-in near York where some of us tried to catch the wels (unsucessfully). I 'think' the place is called Emberton but I could be wrong.... Wouldn't mind going there again sometime, nice place with plenty of good-looking swims.

Take care, John

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

Hi John,

I have to apologize again for the late reply. The Stress doesn't seem to get any less, but at least my cat is getting better.

Al right, so your not afraid of the wels, but I know, that I am, if it's a big one. :headhurt: We've treid to catch a big wels, that's suppose to be in the river Rhein close to the city "Ingelheim", but we failled, just like you in the place is called Emberton, maybe your concentration sufford because of the good-looking swims. :rolleyes:

Patty

4ham55k.jpg

Hi Guys, yes John, it may well have been.

The wels grow to 25kg in the UK, put a seperate post re size of wels, the guys will now

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

Hi guys,

Sorry for the late reply, but my husband and I went fishing on our lake yesterday. Here in Germany the friday before easter is a holiday. How is that in britain. Unfortunately, no one of us caught something, not even an old shoe. But it wasn't really important, it was fun to be in nature again, just relaxing, on a sunny spring day. :thumbs:

Hi Ferret,

thanks for the cool link about catfish in the UK. That is a very informative swebsite. I had no idea that they can grow to be so big in your country. :unsure:

What are you guys doing on easter? We intend to go fisdhing on the river Rhein, for catfish. We know a nice place by the city called Bingen, where big catfish have been caught. Does any of you know that area? It's very beautyful there. The UNESCO is keeping that part of Germany on the river Rhein as a world-cultural-heritage. :clap2:

2cza788.jpg

2aje34i.jpg

I'll tell you all about the fishing trip on monday or tuesday, and, if I shouldn't find the time to write again before that day, I wish you all a happy and very joyful easter holiday. :sun:

Patty

4ham55k.jpg

i went to the vet with the cat on Saturday, she has an overactive thyroid, i can see this being expensive.

went fishing monday morning, had one small wild brown trout in my 2 hour session, not much but nice to be in the river again.

The friday before easter is also a holiday in the UK................the weather has been very warm so most people spent it out and about. How did the fishing go for you?

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

Hi Phil,

I can't believe "German Girl two" is back, but I'm glad, that we can stil chat for a while. :thumbs::clap2::clap2::clap2:

Sorry to hear about your cat. I guess your right, it could get expensive. I know how it feels, when you will do everything to make your pet get well again, beause you love them. How old is your cat? Hope, that she'll be better soon.

So "Karfreitag", that's how we call that friday before easter is a holiday for you two. What's it called.

About my fishingtrip. Like I worte in another topic, we went fishing over night on the river Rhein. It was so cold, like you wouldn't believe. Especially me, small fishergirl, I feel cold even in the hottest summer. We didn't catch even an old shoe, but it was nice, just to be in nature aain, after a long winter. I was hoping to catch a big catfish and then post it in the forum, but now, I can only keep on dreaming. :wallbash:

At the moment I'm so much in stress with publiching the book, that I hardly find time to eat. I've already lost 2 kg. That publishing is a part writing, that I don't like so much, even though I seem to have a talent for it. I even was broadcast on the radio on the 4th of april. But know enough of me.

What where all you other guys doing over he holidays?

And thanks again Phil for keeping this topic alive!!! :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Patty

4ham55k.jpg