German Girl Two

Peter Waller

Patty, in England we hold the 'privvy/privy' in very high regard. So much so that we have a Lord Privy in our Parliament.

It was rather insensitive of Rabbit to refer to a past, regrettable conflict between our two great countries but, alas, it took place, and was responsible for the loss of many fine privies across the land. On a positive note their destruction probably ensured the construction of main-drains, quite possibly years ahead of when they might otherwise have been built. Today privies are national treasures, listed for conservation.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, Peter, for explaining Rabbits sentence for me. I was not offended in any way by that comment of world war two. I just didn't know what he ment. Like you said, it took place, and I must edit, it was our fault, that it occcured and many people had to lose so senseless their lifes. I also had no idea, that privies are national treasures.We, here in Germany, are glad there gone, even though, I must admit, it's nostalgic, kind of nice to conserve them. :thumbs:

4ham55k.jpg

Patrizia,

Well I am slowly coming to the conclusion that you are genuine, I hope you don't prove me wrong. Us British are very cautious (well, some of us) which may explain why this thread has over a thousand veiwings and yet no one has answered your questions about fishing in the Lake District or Scotland (or Wales). I don't know why I feel I have to answer but I guess someone should. I think I am right in saying that the Lake District is an Upland fishery i.e. no fish :) They do have char which is a deep water cold fish, a member of the salmonid family. They were left behind after the last Ice Age and bloody good luck trying to catch one. Scotland have trout and salmon and eels but not much course fish, maybe pike, any Scotsman please feel free to join in here. Wales is similar. To any I may have offended I apologise.

Ian

You're being a bit disparaging of the Lake District Ian. :)

I haven't fished there for many years, but recall good catches of perch, and roach, as well as trout and pike.

Boaters and holidaymakers can be a problem, but the fish are there.

Here's a link to a few free spots in the area, but it's best to check before going, in case things have changed.

http://www.dofreefishing.com/northwestnorthern.html

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Lake Ullswater is one of the more northerly of the lakes within the lake district, the banks of which are only 45 minutes drive from Haltwhislte, mentioned before.

To my mind, and I know others will disagree as this is such a personal thing, the Northern Lakes are the most dramatic within the lake district and the fishing can still be good as the number of tourist boat traffic is much less.

Lake Windermere, the largest of the lakes in the lake district, holds some huge pike of 15kg and more, but you would be best hiring a boat and a guide before fishing it.

The other lakes also hold very large pike, good perch and eels and some other species, some native, some introduced. If you're after Ven Dace or Char you would be better off going to the aquarium on Windermere, where you'll sea a picture of the former and some live specimens of the latter. Your chances of catching either of these are less than the chances of seeing peter buying a spod rod.

From Ullswater it's a short 30 minute drive to the scottish borders, these feel like a continuation of the mountains around the lake district but take on their own style after a few miles. Onwards into Scotland game fishing becomes the mainstay though there are some excellent coarse fisheries.

If you want to visit somewhere stunning and perhaps try some salmon and trout fishing I would suggest heading further north into Perthsire, in particular the fortingall hotel at Glen Lyon. I stayed there last year and was hugely impressed. Glen Lyon is only about 3km away from Loch Tay, which is similar in size to windermere but with far fewer visitors. I have heard tell of excellent fishing within this water too, similar to that found in Windermere.

In September the only thing which will disturb your sleep will be the bellow of the red dear looking for a mate, the stags in full antler are a wonderful site to see. You better take your husband though judging by the reaction of these guys to a German lady.

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

Thanks, Gozzer, for the great link. I've made a quick check already and it seems to be very informative, not just about the Lake District, but also about Wales and Scotland. I also thank you for the information about your personal fishing experience of the Lake District.

And I thank you, Phil, for the information about the Lake District and for my first information about Scotland. That's what I've been waiting for. 15 kg pike, or maybe more, in Lake Windmere. I would like to catch a fish like that. And I love aquariums, that would make a nice Holiday. It seems to be fun fishing in scotland too. I'll try to find some more information about the fortingall hotel at Glen Lyon and about and about Loch Tay in the internet. I like to fish at places with only a few tourists around, I ment non fishing tourists, of course.

I've never seen or heared a red dear mate, must be interesting, but only if they're not interested in me! :headhurt:

Thank you both again, that was very informative. Now I've got a few holidayplaces in the UK in store.

Hi Dave. That shure is impressive, it's stunning. :thumbs:

Edited by Patrizia

4ham55k.jpg

It was rather insensitive of Rabbit to refer to a past, regrettable conflict between our two great countries

It could have been worse, Peter - at least he didn't mention that chamberpots are also known as "Jerries", in reference to the portraits of Kaiser Wilhelm that were said to adorn some of the examples made around 1914-18...

Whoops! :blink:

It could have been worse, Peter - at least he didn't mention that chamberpots are also known as "Jerries", in reference to the portraits of Kaiser Wilhelm that were said to adorn some of the examples made around 1914-18...

That doesn't shock me eather. I even think it's amusing to find those kind of things out. Seems to be the spice in the relationship of our two nations. Looks like you british have always been very fond of us germans. :D

4ham55k.jpg

Guest Rabbit

:clap2: quite right, I wouldn't mention it, even if I had thought of it :rolleyes: ....and Patty

I am pleased you took the Luftwaffe comment the right way. The RAF did a fair amount of damage too to your country, and it was a dark period for Europe and you have no reason to feel guilty , I am sure you had nothing to do with it. :thumbs: Typical isn't it us Brits cant have a conversation with a German without bringing up the 'W' word.

You asked for pictures of fish I have caught and the weights, I have a few stored on the computer somewhere and I will see what I can do. My biggest freshwater fish is a carp that would be about 13 kilos in Euros. However Barbel a mere 5 Kilos. But it is not the size thats important Patty well not for me anyway, its all the other things that fishing has to offer that only an angler can understand.

Patty said: 'Looks like you British have always been very fond of us Germans.'

Our Queen Victoria thought the world of her Albert. But it must be down to all that bike riding, it produces well shaped ladies. Joking apart, Patty, as people I think we have always liked you Germans, especially female ones, we have a great deal in common. It is just a pity that pride, politics and expansionism have came between us in the past.

By the way, the reason that we liked our privvies was down to the fact that it was the only place for a married bloke to get any peace and quiet.

Edited by Peter Waller