Float Rod Buying Advice please

Woz

Hi,

I'm looking to upgrade my float rod from my trust Wilson Avon Quiver.

I've looked at a Preston float which was light and felt great but I don't think it comes with any guarantee if I break it?

Greys float rods do, but I've not seen one yet.

It will be mainly used for trotting with my Okuma Sheffield pin.

Any advice please or alternative suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

W.

I bought a 13 foot shimano nexave match rod about this time last year, and I'm very impressed with it, very light and stiff, casts nicely, and has coped well with stillwater roach, trotting for grayling, and even a couple of accidental double figure carp!

Mat

Mat

You may find that some guarantees aren't worth the paper they are written on, besides, are you going to let that small point, possibly spoil your fishing? There are many good rods on the market. One thing I will warn you about though, is the reel seat size, as not all seats will take a centrepin foot. Go for a fast action style rod for the rivers, as it will pick up the line much quicker, but it must not be too fast, as this will only result in hook pulls. Go into a good shop and try them out, as it needs to balance with the reel also, as most rods are designed for use with (in this case heavier) fixed spool reels. Get this wrong, and it'll ruin the whole thing.

Oh, and as you will be holding the rod at all times, pick one with a good comfortable handle. Have a look at some of the Shimano rods when you are at it, as some offer the benefit of being used at two lengths, 13' and 15', a real boon on rivers.

Woz

How much do you want to spend?

Tony

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Guest tigger

I use a Normark Microlite for trotting with a Centrepin reel. I sometimes use a Normark Avenger for a change and have found them to be spot on. Mine are straight forward 13 ft models but you can pick the new ones, 13 ft to 14 ft all the time on ebay for a very reasnable price. Some people say the rods are overpriced and I must addmit i've thought it myself until I'm out fishing with one and then they're worth every penny !

I use a Normark Microlite for trotting with a Centrepin reel. I sometimes use a Normark Avenger for a change and have found them to be spot on. Mine are straight forward 13 ft models but you can pick the new ones, 13 ft to 14 ft all the time on ebay for a very reasnable price. Some people say the rods are overpriced and I must addmit i've thought it myself until I'm out fishing with one and then they're worth every penny !

Thanks guys,

I'm looking to spend £100-150 ideally but would break the budget if I fell in love with the rod.

Hence wanting to know if something happens there is some g'tee or replacement section service.

My Wychwood fly rod has snapped twice and been replace free.

Guest tigger
Thanks guys,

I'm looking to spend £100-150 ideally but would break the budget if I fell in love with the rod.

Hence wanting to know if something happens there is some g'tee or replacement section service.

My Wychwood fly rod has snapped twice and been replace free.

Keep an eye on the Normarks on Ebay, I saw a Avenger go for £112 ripps the other day.

Edited by tigger

There are a few cosmetic seconds 13-15' Normark Avengers on sale at Tackle Bargains fo £180, well worth breaking the budget for; there is a link on the AN main page.

Tony

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.