16lb 4oz bass in folkestone

***Simon***

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gillies:

Im to scared to post photos on fish here, dead or alive ... as there always seems to be flack attached to it in some way

Gillies - there are always those who are going to deride or belittle published photos of fish caught by you, or by anyone else.

Envy, or the desire to seem politically correct lie at the back of most criticisms - hardly worth getting upset about.

With your talent for photography, you should be able to take some cracking fish pictures.

As for putting a double figure bass back - well few have had to make that decision for themselves, but that doesn't stop them weighing in with opinions on other people's fish :P

Constructive criticism of how best to take a decent photo is another matter - the pose referred to by Davy Holt is alas all too common.

It was a cracking good bass though :D

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Guest stevie cop

The best eating bass are 3-4 lbs. A 16lb bass is a fish of several lifetimes, to kill it just for a trophy photo seems such a shame. Why not take the camera fishing? Fish look so much more impressive when photographed alive anyway. That one sharkbyte caught in Guernsey looked fantastic in the photos and is probably still swimming around now.

***Simon***:

why put it back just for the commercial fishermen to catch it?

because if you don't , the commercials can say "why should we reduce our catches that pay our mortgages, when you kill them for fun "

a shame to kill it, but it has spawned a few replacements and i'm not sure it would be still spawning.

either way, not much of a smile there - miserable bugger.

www.swff.co.uk - Guernsey Saltwater Fly Fishing

Member of B.A.S.S. - www.ukbass.com

Member of NFSA www.nfsa.org.uk

"better to have fished and lost than never fished at all "

To be honest, the tiny number of large Bass caught by anglers compared to the vast number caught in nets is not going to make a difference. When you consider the number of hours, or years an angler puts in to catch a decent fish, he should not be vilified for keeping it for the table. Better he keeps quiet, does not show off his fish, and expose himself to critisism. I have never understood the desire some anglers have to show off in a photo.

***Simon***:

why put it back just for the commercial fishermen to catch it?

I love this justification for taking a fish like this. For the last 30 years that 16 lb-er has avoided nets, set lines, people fishing for the pot, seals, dolphins, sharks, congers etc. Now for some reason this fish loses all it's guile and cunning and is a dead cert to end up in a netsmans haul, just because someone managed to hook and land it!

i haven't posted on here for well over a week due to coments on my bass picture.and my last post

i was told to ignore comments that were passed to me, by the moderator which i did after all i only took 2 home and was blasted for it by some so called anglers on here.

yet i look at this fine bass in the post on here now and he is being blasted what the f**k is the matter with some people on here try and give a bloke some praise once they have caught something nice and not comments like he's been given on here this has made me realise i will not be posting on here anymore there has been alot of upsets on this forum lately and i am not the only one thats noticed thats all i have to say in the matter.

This has gone on far enough. I will not have people slagged off for posting pictures of fish they have taken home for the pot. Most sea anglers nowadays understand the need for conservation of our stocks, and will therefore only take one or two home.

If you want to complain about something, complain about illegal netters or trawlers dumping tons of dead by-catch, or the 50,000 tons of fish (I believe that is the correct figure....) that is taken up by a cooling plant in the River Humber each year.

This habit of slagging down another angler for something he is perfectly entitled to do, will stop right now :mad:

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.