What if?

Dick Dastardly

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it was compulsory "catch and kill", I suspect I would lose a lot of fish at the net (much as I do at trout lakes that are "catch and kill").

If angling was banned, I would stop angling, much as I have stopped hunting with hounds.

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

I didnt question Dave on this as I think it would just be the last little push to see him emigrate! But would you really do this rather than one of the other options?

I share your sentiments re Hoodies and Chavs but what would you do Steve?

Been out to Australia a couple of times and love the place and the fishing there so yes this would be very tempting if the above scenario happened ,Also boat fish remote parts of the Thames so tempted to break the law? Yes Would i ? not sure as hate the fishing without licence/out of season/taking a sports holdall full of pike for a drunken bbq on the bank so if i did am i any different ?.

Been to a few hunt balls recently not because i go hunting coz i dont but my sister in law organizes thgem for a local hunt and [1] they are a bloody good p!"ss up [2]good excuse to dress up as james bond [3] and most importantly fed up of the ban it coz i dont like mentality.

Regarding the live baiting thing whatever happened to if you dont like it dont do it,Often take people out in my boat fishing and if they dont want ot fish lives fine but in my experience then they are limiting there chances just my opinion mind!.

In short dont know for sure whart i would do if the above became law but have to say the temptation to cheat may get the better of me if i am honest ,Sorry went a bit off topic there been on the boat all day red wine and all steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

er, you don't have to eat them, but I believe that it's an offence to return carp there.

Right - Carp were introduced by an Australian Fisheries Officer (name of Pratt) and now regarded as vermin.

Just as Lochmaben Castle Loch was destroyed as a habitat for vendace by bream muddying the waters, so the Australian native perches are under threat from the carp. I had no misgivings about knocking carp on the head when I fished the Murray - although its hardly going to exterminate them.

and Budgie, IF there is a total ban here, then yes, I'm off down under. After all, with twelve visits in the last 20 years its become my second home.

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Vagabond wrote I had no misgivings about knocking carp on the head when I fished the Murray - although its hardly going to exterminate them.

I put mine back as it seemed there were so many in there it was going to have no affect on the numbers ,The Ausie fishermen also moan a lot about the wake/ski boats on this great river and the use of a lot of its water for irrigation and lack of rainfall in recent years.

The carp havent helped the natives at all and if i went back again i would probubly knock them on the head this time as talking to some old boys out there the Murray cod/yellow perch fishing aint been the same since the carp explosion,Dont think they are the sole reason for this though Steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

I would carry on fishing but in the unlikely situation that my actions became impossible, I would probably move to Holland and carry on my predator fishing in a country where I can speak English, get wasted and catch 20lbers willy-nilly. Actually, that sounds quite appealing without a ban!

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Just as Lochmaben Castle Loch was destroyed as a habitat for vendace by bream muddying the waters,

I'm not sure thats the full picture with Castle Loch. Castle Loch seems to have the ability to muddy its self up in times of heavy rain. I think you may find the extinction of Vendace in Castle Loch (early 1900's i think) was a lot to do with nutrient enrichment and the building of a sewage works on the banks which discharged into the loch around that time. It has a very slow fresh water replacement, 180 acres only feed by a couple of small streams.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

If I had to kill what I caught I would become more selective about what I fished for and only fish for what I wanted to eat. I would stop fishing when I had enough to eat.

If fishing were banned I would move to France. In fact I might just move to France anyway :)

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

I'm not sure thats the full picture with Castle Loch. Castle Loch seems to have the ability to muddy its self up in times of heavy rain. I think you may find the extinction of Vendace in Castle Loch (early 1900's i think) was a lot to do with nutrient enrichment and the building of a sewage works on the banks which discharged into the loch around that time. It has a very slow fresh water replacement, 180 acres only feed by a couple of small streams.

Yes, good point, but once large numbers of bream are in the water it will be muddy all the time the bream are active. So there is little chance of it being suitable for vendace ever again, even if the sewage works were improved to deliver an acceptable effluent.

There is hope to restore Bassenthwaite to a state where vendace could be re-introduced (from Loch Skene) but it would be just about impossible to do the same for Castle Loch.

At the nearby but unconnected Mill Loch, the vendace are thought to have been extinct since the 1990s (none have shown up in netting by the fishery authorities) - no sewage works there - I wonder if bream were put in there also?

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...