What if?

Dick Dastardly

Been out to Australia a couple of times and love the place and the fishing there so yes this would be very tempting if the above scenario happened

QUOTE (bluerinse @ Sep 27 2008, 07:35 PM) *

I would move to Australia

Bugga!!! We've got snatcher out here at the moment....Isn't that enough?? ;)

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, good point, but once large numbers of bream are in the water it will be muddy all the time the bream are active. So there is little chance of it being suitable for vendace ever again, even if the sewage works were improved to deliver an acceptable effluent.

From the Castle loch web site.

Scotland's Premier specimen coarse fishery. One of Britain's top fisheries, holding three Scottish records. The only fishery in Britain to Ever hold three records.

Sounds like their happy with their new found coarse fish any way. At some point a new sewage works was built on the stream that runs out of the loch, but given the deep black sludge in the deeper parts of the loch, heavy weed growth, algae blooms and surrounding farm land i suspect it will be to little to late any way.

There is hope to restore Bassenthwaite to a state where vendace could be re-introduced (from Loch Skene) but it would be just about impossible to do the same for Castle Loch.

Yep. Personally i would just find a few more lochs like Skene (away from people) to put them in and not waste time and money on lost habitats.

At the nearby but unconnected Mill Loch, the vendace are thought to have been extinct since the 1990s (none have shown up in netting by the fishery authorities) - no sewage works there - I wonder if bream were put in there also?

1986 i think the last reported one. Yes it dose have bream. It also has a good sized Feeder stream off farm land, algae blooms and weed problems.

I wonder how many more lost habitats there would be if fishing was baned, don't think ACA would last long.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

I don't know if some new proposals have been tabled regarding the return of fish, but the RSPCA was against angling some 50 years ago because anglings main purpose was to catch fish and return them. However, they had no problems with people fishing for the table. If that is still the case then the thoughts I have aired here on a number of occasions are still valid. What you must do is to set size limits for fish that are unlikely to be bettered so that no roach under say 5lbs can be killed and must be returned for conservation purposes. The same principal can be applied to all other fish so that it is most unlikely a fish af a killing size might never be caught. If such a fish was caught, it could still be released for a variety of reasons - the important thing is that anglers should be seen to be fishing for the table.

I doubt if sea fishing could ever be banned because all seas anglers can reasonably claim to be fishing for the table and it is a recognised fact that being caught on rod and line and then being killed quickly is far less stressful than being dragged up in a net and crushed when the net is swung inboard on a trawler. Many other commercially valueless are killed and just wasted by trawlers, so sea fishing with rod and line is actually a Greens friendly way of taking them.

All anglers have to do is to nullify the antis' armoury and it will make it very difficult for them to get angling banned.

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

Tricky one this.

If fishing was made illegal

I would stop fishing and more than likely get seriously into wildlife photography.

If I had to kill everything I caught

I would carry on fishing as I do now. I'm never in public view, except in very rare cases.

Those are my honest answers :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

QUOTE (bluerinse @ Sep 27 2008, 07:35 PM) *

I would move to Australia

Bugga!!! We've got snatcher out here at the moment....Isn't that enough?? ;)

:bigemo_harabe_net-163::bigemo_harabe_net-163::bigemo_harabe_net-163:

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Yes it dose have bream. It also has a good sized Feeder stream off farm land, algae blooms and weed problems.

I remember it in the 1960s as a very clear water with little weed. All waters gradually accumulate silt, not too disasterous all the time it accumulates slowly. However, once bream are in they stir up the silt. Add to that increased nutrients from the farm run-off since the 1960s and there must lie the reason for the demise of the vendace.

Finding suitable lochs for vendace sounds good, but it does need careful research beforehand - there are too many cases of added species proving a disaster. There is a lot of research from Scandinavia that suggests the relationship between whitefish, char and trout is very complex and easily upset.

It looks like Loch Skene was a good idea, though.

RNLI Governor

I think I'd wrap up the fish I'm forced to kill and post them to the green MP responsible for the regulation. I hope for his sake the post gets quicker!

Re-introduction of vendace to Bassenthwaite is a bit of a king Canute idea. Like any other extinction it's sad, but they had their chance and in the lottery of evolution they didn't get six numbers!

What you must do is to set size limits for fish that are unlikely to be bettered so that no roach under say 5lbs can be killed and must be returned for conservation purposes. The same principal can be applied to all other fish so that it is most unlikely a fish af a killing size might ever be caught.

......the important thing is that anglers should be seen to be fishing for the table.

Yes, both you and I have made this point many times.

In fact, one could go further, and use the size limits as fishery management tools. They do this in the States (and in Canada and Australia too) Size limits, slot limits, bag limits (when you reach the bag limit you stop fishing and head for the nearest bar to celebrate :) ) are different for different watersheds, and even vary from year to year.

Using slot limits you could thin out tiddlers (as Americans do for pan fish) and improve the stock, whilst protecting the breeding adults.

I've heard it said these regulations would be too complicated for British anglers - Codswallop! Aussie, Canadian and USA anglers cope with them easily enough.

RNLI Governor

I remember it in the 1960s as a very clear water with little weed. All waters gradually accumulate silt, not too disasterous all the time it accumulates slowly. However, once bream are in they stir up the silt. Add to that increased nutrients from the farm run-off since the 1960s and there must lie the reason for the demise of the vendace.

And of course, stirring the silt up exposes the sediment to oxygen, which releases bound phosphate into the water column.

Yes, both you and I have made this point many times.

In fact, one could go further, and use the size limits as fishery management tools. They do this in the States (and in Canada and Australia too) Size limits, slot limits, bag limits (when you reach the bag limit you stop fishing and head for the nearest bar to celebrate :) ) are different for different watersheds, and even vary from year to year.

Using slot limits you could thin out tiddlers (as Americans do for pan fish) and improve the stock, whilst protecting the breeding adults.

I've heard it said these regulations would be too complicated for British anglers - Codswallop! Aussie, Canadian and USA anglers cope with them easily enough.

How would this work in regard to match fishing Dave?

I don't know for sure, but I don't think any of the countries mentioned have a 'match scene' like we do.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John