What if?

Dick Dastardly

One of the worlds most respected scientists in the study of fish and their senses etc. who was a top scientist at the Natural History Museum in London for many years and a well respected and learned authority until he died a few years ago (Dr. Alwyne Wheeler) and had forgotten more on this subject than most scientists ever knew; once wrote a paper about this subject which said that a fishes mouth has developed to allow the fish to eat spines, shells etc. and be lacerated in normal feeding, and that the blood vessels in the mouth are absent. also that the part of the brain that Mammals have which feel pain as we know it are non existent.ack after having a foot ripped of by a giant bird or Pike???

I doubt very much if you would!

But as Alwyne Wheeler would have told you himself, "Scientific Papers" are not written in stone. a good scientist is always willing to change his mind if his research is later proved to be in error. To answer your question Budgie. If someone had published credible evidence that fish feel pain, in the same way that mammals do then I would only fish for the pot.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Fishing in it's present form did cause pain then I don't think that I would still get as much enjoyment from it. and I would spend my spare time on the Golf course and Painting etc. however I may turn to sea fishing and catch the odd fish (I've only ever been able to catch the very odd sea fish anyway) for the table but my fishing would not give me the same enjoyment as it always has.

One of the worlds most respected scientists in the study of fish and their senses etc. who was a top scientist at the Natural History Museum in London for many years and a well respected and learned authority until he died a few years ago (Dr. Alwyne Wheeler) and had forgotten more on this subject than most scientists ever knew; once wrote a paper about this subject which said that a fishes mouth has developed to allow the fish to eat spines, shells etc. and be lacerated in normal feeding, and that the blood vessels in the mouth are absent. also that the part of the brain that Mammals have which feel pain as we know it are non existent.

Recent experiments in this field which are quoted by these bedsit activists cite experiments that show that a fish feels pain use electric shocks or bee venom injection in fishes mouths, and because the fish showed distain or a reaction then they said that they must be feeling pain.

Utter ClapTrap!!!!

My experience alone has shown me many times that FISH DO NOT FEEL PAIN AS WE KNOW IT. I have lost count of the fish that have had bits of their bodies missing and still bleeding after being attacked by birds or Pike but Still going out for a snack.

Would you want to go out for a snack after having a foot ripped of by a giant bird or Pike???

I doubt very much if you would!

My dogs have sensitive mouths but will crunch up hedgehogs and eat them and their spines without damaging them. So really that makes a mockery of mr Wheelers theory.

Strictly speaking that would still be illegal. Under UK law it's an offence to take part in an activity that is illegal in this country, even if it is not illegal in the country that you visited.

For example, the age of consent in China is 14. If I were to have sex with a fourteen year old school girl in China I would not be breaking Chinese law, but could still be arrested for it on my return to the UK.

If that were true then I reckon the UK Prisons would be bursting with Chink's.

If that were true then I reckon the UK Prisons would be bursting with Chink's.
Which part do you doubt the veracity of? The fact that the age of consent is 14 in China or the fact that if you were to visit China and have sex with a fourteen year old you would be breaking UK law.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

Could part of people's uncertainty/confusion be down to the fact that fish, unlike most other animal cannot/do not voice their "pain" (whatever it is and how they feel it) or animate it in any way that is recognisable to us? One of the worst sounds I know of is an animal (be it human or otherwise) in immense and protracted pain.

The fact that fish don't do this could be why so many of us find it difficult to answer the whole question definitively.

Which part do you doubt the veracity of? The fact that the age of consent is 14 in China or the fact that if you were to visit China and have sex with a fourteen year old you would be breaking UK law.

Neither, there must be many UK Chinease residents who have committed this offence. I doubt that a single one has been arrested.

Of course if you can provide evidence that a number have been arrested and are serving custodial sentences then I stand corrected.

Sorry Budgie to be off topic m8.

As someone with Asian acquaintances, I find that word in this particular conversation to be quite insulting. Plus the apostrophe indicates a possessive nature, which is incorrect.

Wrong on so many fronts :nonono:

Hey up........the PC plonkers have emerged :rolleyes:

Hey up........the PC plonkers have emerged :rolleyes:

I'm not about to take this even further off topic and get into a debate about race or PC, and I did try to keep it light (hence the follow-up with the grammatical correction and smiley), I just personally found that to be an insulting (not offensive) comment in the context of this thread, that's all.

As someone with Asian acquaintances, I find that word in this particular conversation to be quite insulting. Plus the apostrophe indicates a possessive nature, which is incorrect.

Wrong on so many fronts :nonono:

And ignorant of the fact tat the vast majority of the Chinese we have in this country come from Hong Kong and the New Territories, not China.