New to this - and looking for some help!

Tomaoz

Hi... I'm looking to try my hand at some fishing this summer, and I'm hoping for some recommendations. I'd ideally like to find some family-friendly spots that will provide tuition to both myself and two youngsters. I'm going to be all around the UK, so I'm happy to roam just about anywhere! I was also hoping some of you lot could suggest some locations where we could 'cook our catch' - that's if we manage to hook anything! All suggestions gratefully received. Thanks - Tom, London.

Boat, pier, beach, no preference?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

The beach behind Shoreham Power station (just west of Brighton) is ok for a family day out with a spot of fishing. Nice big beach, easy parking and you can catch fish. Fished there a while a go in the summer - mackerel and gurnards, you may get the occasional bass as well, usual baits - squid/worms/fish will work. We used to take the BBQ down - a good day out. :)

Tom hello to you.

Loads of familly friendly places around the south coast. The barbie is the only problem. Deal pier and the surounding beaches are a good bet. Brighton Marina walls also fit the bill( forget the barbie). Both arms and beaches around Shoreham harbour can be good. The list is endless.

The trouble is fishing with a barbie?

Many beaches get crowded at weekends and school holidays. What starts out as an early morning fishing trip followed by freshly cooked mackeral turns into an absolute nightmare!! All the young yobs turn up with their single parent. And suddenly you get hemmed in. And `NO` you can`t fish. My kids want to have a paddle. Yes, it gets like that all too often nowadays.

But as I live in London (Ealing), give me a mail and I can be a tad more constructive?

Paul.

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

Tomaoz:

I was also hoping some of you lot could suggest some locations where we could 'cook our catch' - that's if we manage to hook anything! All suggestions gratefully received. Thanks - Tom, London.

Chesil Beach for the next 4 months as the sun comes up. Take a bucket with you and boil your catch in it using sea water.

There's usually enough driftwood, tar, sea peat, old rope and plastic for a fire to boil a bucket on.

[ 01. June 2003, 08:00 AM: Message edited by: Jim Roper ]

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

If you are comin to chesil then you gotta make your way down to Plymouth. Weve got some great marks for families or just all round good fishing.

The family marks are producing some great fish at the moment.

I work in Dave's Tackle and Bait in Plymouth so if your ever in the area we got the best bait in town!! I'll put my wages on it. I'm saying that as a fisher woman and not an employee!!

Have a great time where ever you go.

Scratch