The 2015 fish-in topic

Anderoo

Let's have some ideas about potential fish-ins this year :)

I am happy to arrange a zander fish-in at Rutland in October. I'm also willing to sort out a day at Pitsford for the big perch if anyone fancies it, it's not something I've done before but I want to try it this year (I think it's 'any method trout fishing').

Things I'd like to do if they could be arranged:

- barbel fish-in

- catfish fish-in

- Lower Itchen fish-in

The social side of AN has really declined recently, it would be nice to revive it a bit if possible :)

• Like 1

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

A possibility for a catfish fish-in if enough people are interested - Orchid lakes club lake in Oxfordshire, which can be booked for £160 a day: http://www.orchid-lakes.co.uk/club_lake.htm

It would be good to hear of other options too!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Definitely up for the Zander event this year, I have a fish finder which is looking a bit under-utilised and I’d be able to give the trophy to Tigger for the 2014 fish-in.

I always thought that your idea of a day out using only home made tackle was a good one. There’s a perfect lake near me called Laura’s Lagoon which I think can be booked for matches, it’s full of small rudd, perch and tench, some carp but not too many. I guess people might not want to travel too far for a ‘novelty’ event though.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Definitely up for the Zander event this year, I have a fish finder which is looking a bit under-utilised and I’d be able to give the trophy to Tigger for the 2014 fish-in.

I always thought that your idea of a day out using only home made tackle was a good one. There’s a perfect lake near me called Laura’s Lagoon which I think can be booked for matches, it’s full of small rudd, perch and tench, some carp but not too many. I guess people might not want to travel too far for a ‘novelty’ event though.

Oh I'd forgotten about that! Yes, happy to revive that one, should be a good laugh if nothing else!

I raised this a few years back. Enthusiastic responses, but only from two or three people. I probably have as much experience of this as anybody, as I had perforce to make my own tackle as a lad (and more recently, got a primary school kid to follow the same path, with the result below)

So, at the primitive level

Rod Native wood, bent safety pins as rings.

Reel - all wood, made with primary school technology.

Line - should be plaited horsehair, but I cheated, and used linen thread, and confined horsehair to the hook length only

Hook - bent pin. Not so simple as it sounds as soft pins are too blunt, and if you try to bend sharp pins you will find they are brittle, so must be heated, bent, annealed and quenched.

Floats - easy Weights - my first two years angling were spent oblivious of split shot - suggestions ?

post-812-0-48340000-1432968502_thumb.jpg

The rod and reel made by a ten-year-old primary schoolboy under my tuition. His nine-year-old sister landed carp to seven pounds with it.

You could say the fish were caught, not because of the tackle, but in spite of it.

After losing all my tackle in the pirogue mishap in Madagascar I had to resort to a handline wound upon a discarded Coke bottle. Coarse (very coarse) line, and primitive hooks bought at native market - only crabs were remotely interested. That was a "homemade" step too far

...and what does "homemade" mean ? anything from the above, through whipping rings onto a carbon blank, to the manufacture of high quality centrepins and multipliers as practiced by Worms and a few others.

The main value of such an event would be the exchange of ideas, and the novelty value.

Peripheral to the above, the tiny fly reel bought at the fish-in auction has been loaded with backing, a short shooting head of #3 level fly line, and a short leader. I have got a suitable rod, and will be targeting dace and bleak on fly as soon as the river season opens - watch this space !

• Like 2

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

I still fancy doing a sea fishing fish-in - maybe down at Lee On Solent, see if we can get some smoothhound. Spod rod should be sufficient for those who don't have beach gear.