New Fly rod

hpint

I recently broke my fly rod and need to get a new one. I'm new to fly fising (use to do match fishing) and finding it a bit difficult to choose a new rod. The previous rod was a shakespear oracle 6/7wt and 9ft. Not a bad rod but sometimes a bit soft when casting intermediates and sinking lines. I'm not willing to pay hundreds of pounds just for a rod so looking for a good value for money rod. (Will pay up to 150 max) I'm 6 ft tall. I'm looking for prob a 7/8wt rod 9, 9ft6 or 10ft rod that I can use in large stillwaters and also for Hanningfield Reserviour where I need to get some distance. I would appreciate all advise so that I can have a nice balanced setup. Thanks

I recently broke my fly rod and need to get a new one. I'm new to fly fising (use to do match fishing) and finding it a bit difficult to choose a new rod. The previous rod was a shakespear oracle 6/7wt and 9ft. Not a bad rod but sometimes a bit soft when casting intermediates and sinking lines. I'm not willing to pay hundreds of pounds just for a rod so looking for a good value for money rod. (Will pay up to 150 max) I'm 6 ft tall. I'm looking for prob a 7/8wt rod 9, 9ft6 or 10ft rod that I can use in large stillwaters and also for Hanningfield Reserviour where I need to get some distance. I would appreciate all advise so that I can have a nice balanced setup. Thanks

check out Grey's rods, reasonable price with a lifetime warranty. I have been using grey's 11' 3" #5/6 for years for lough style fishing and love them. I can't really advise on the 7/8 rods....too heavy for me (our wild trout don't like heavy line splash) but your local tackle shop should be able to lend you a second hand set-up to try first. Failing that, why not ask a couple of the waters you fish if they have rod/line set-ups you could try before buying?

What suits me or someone else may not be to your liking anyway.

IF YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE THE BEST

Don't seek a second opinion.

http://www.anglingireland.info

Fish Paintings

Linocut fishy prints..

check out Grey's rods, reasonable price with a lifetime warranty. I have been using grey's 11' 3" #5/6 for years for lough style fishing and love them. I can't really advise on the 7/8 rods....too heavy for me (our wild trout don't like heavy line splash) but your local tackle shop should be able to lend you a second hand set-up to try first. Failing that, why not ask a couple of the waters you fish if they have rod/line set-ups you could try before buying?

What suits me or someone else may not be to your liking anyway.

Hey Greg thanks for the input. I've been working 7days a week so havn't been out fishing lately. Still reading up on reviews and still to decide on a rod. Think I might go for the G-series for a 5/6 rod for the smaller lakes and rivers and then get another rod for big reserviours. Have you ever fished with a G Loomis rod or Lureflash Viper (another angler recommended this rod)

Hi hpint

Take a look at the Fullingmill Gold fly rods, i have the Gold 5# and it is a teriffic small water rod with a very good action, lifetime warrenty and carrying tube...many people have tried mine and have been impressed with it.

The whole Fullingmill range is worth considering.

I also have the Fullingmill Ti4 8# which iwould recomend as well , good rods for the money ......better than many which cost far more .

http://www.shop-sotw.com/Merchant2/merchan...ode=RIVERKEEPER

http://www.uksaltwaterflies.com/

These guys stock them.

Also worth a look are TFO's rods, again good action , warrenty and case and a good price.

Dave :D

Hey Greg thanks for the input. I've been working 7days a week so havn't been out fishing lately. Still reading up on reviews and still to decide on a rod. Think I might go for the G-series for a 5/6 rod for the smaller lakes and rivers and then get another rod for big reserviours. Have you ever fished with a G Loomis rod or Lureflash Viper (another angler recommended this rod)

Yes I have 2 LOOMIS rods and I think they are the best you can buy...also got a custom Bruce and walker and thats not a patch on the loomis....they are very light and got a good action to chuck the line out....thats my opion...but they are lots of rods???

:thumbs: Thanks for all the replies guys!!! It narrowed it down to G. Loomis, Reddingtons, Greys and Fullingmill...Still leaving me a bit confused though :wallbash: What makes the difference between a ie Shakespear rod and a Sage rod. Does it really make that much of a difference in bait presentasion and distance? I've been told that most blanks come from the east anayway and that many brand names are actually the same blank with just different finishes. I wouldn't mind spending a little extra on a decent rod but the gap between a 80 pound rod and a 800 pound rod is massive. Is such an expensive rod really worth the money?

:thumbs: Thanks for all the replies guys!!! It narrowed it down to G. Loomis, Reddingtons, Greys and Fullingmill...Still leaving me a bit confused though :wallbash: What makes the difference between a ie Shakespear rod and a Sage rod. Does it really make that much of a difference in bait presentasion and distance? I've been told that most blanks come from the east anayway and that many brand names are actually the same blank with just different finishes. I wouldn't mind spending a little extra on a decent rod but the gap between a 80 pound rod and a 800 pound rod is massive. Is such an expensive rod really worth the money?

In a word NO

I cannot see how it can be justifiable to charge that sort of money for a carbon fly rod. I make my own fly rods and I use top quality blanks and better components than most of the "big name" manufacturers and my rods don't cost half of what is being charged.

As an example Sage Z-Axis store price 550.00-600.00

Cost to build using top quality components 200.00 and I pay full retail for the parts!

Cost to build a Dan Craft or St Croix rod every bit as good ? 80.00 - 100.00

http://www.dancraftent.com/category/index....cid=9&lvl=1

You could build a 10' 7wt Ft with a nice reel seat, titanium plated rings and decent cork for $200.00 or 100.00 pounds that would be as good as anything costing 3 times as much, and probably better than most, or if you don't want to build it, you buy the bits and I will build it for you FOC (I like building fly rods :D )

There is a difference between a cheap rod and an expensive one, but does the difference justify the price ? not even close in my opinion.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Hey sportsman thanks for all the info and the generious offer! I will definately take you up on it in the future. With it being Easter and with such lovely weather I was forced to buy a rod to do some fishing. The rod I bought in the end is the Greys G series 9ft6 7/8wt. Caught 2 trout today and I'm happy with the rod. Think it is a good value for money rod. Forgot my sunblock today so I'm as red as a boiled lobster...Tomorrow I'm going to give Hanningfield Reserviour a try. Tight lines to you and all the other anglers! :thumbs: