Canoeists airlifted in sea rescue

Elton

News Article - Click Here

I don't think these guys were fishing, but this has been on the news a bit around here and the RNLI have expressed their shock at the fact that these guys even entered the water in such conditions.

When I did my powerboat course, I specifically asked the instructor if we could enter the Deben, as it is a very powerful tide run that requires a lot of attention, caution and respect. A RIB with 200+ hp is quite forgiving, but even then you could feel the power of this place. To attempt it in a canoe just seems like madness.

It makes me glad that I see so much talk of safety in these forums. I would hate to read that somebody here had attempted something similar and not been so 'lucky'.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Thats unbelievable. As a father there is no way I would put one of my children in that situation.

1 on the lure is worth 2 from the bait.

Location Pembrokeshire

Kayak's

OK Prowler Trident Yellow

Kaskazi Pelican Orange on White ( CEZI B ) from www.kayakuk.com

Wilderness Tarpon 120 Yellow

Dughters Kayak OK Venus Blue & White (Kristi Boo)

Cobra Fish & Dive Blue

Tamar For Angle R.N.L.I

People will always push their limits, unfortunately the RNLI have to pick up their limits

Understand and know your limitations is the safest way, there is no shame in saying "it's too rough for me".................

Lat/Long :- N50°58.366 W001°26.468

I must go down to the sea again

To the lonely sea and sky

I left my shoes and socks there

I wonder if they're dry?

From other threads I thought that us sit on top users were supposed to aspire to the ranks of using a sit inside kayak where we would present less risk to ourselves and the emergency services. I suggest that the important factor is the person in the boat, not the type of boat!!!

On the bright side at least they seem to be alright.

I knew there was a good resaon for being a fair weather kayaker :thumbs:

Rich

What on earth is a canoe 'club' doing using 4ft long toy boats? Are they mad? It can't be a recognised club can it? I suppose you can call any group a club. It's mind boggling. They shoud be made to pay for the rescue in these circumstances, or fined for deliberately putting the lives of the rescue services at risk. It's probably a child protection issue as well, as the child was not cared for properly.

What on earth is a canoe 'club' doing using 4ft long toy boats? Are they mad? It can't be a recognised club can it? I suppose you can call any group a club. It's mind boggling. They shoud be made to pay for the rescue in these circumstances, or fined for deliberately putting the lives of the rescue services at risk. It's probably a child protection issue as well, as the child was not cared for properly.

As usual, I think this is getting a bit over sensationalised by the press... Yes, I agree, what were they doing going out in storm force offshore winds on almost spring tides and especially with a 12 year old.... completely bonkers however, on the other hand the boat that they have shown isn't a 4ft toy boat fit only for ponds, it is a 6 ft high tech white water 'play' boat that can cope with serious white water conditions on river and surfing ... http://www.kayaksandpaddles.co.uk/canoe/ka...ger-g-force.htm

... although clearly not the weather and conditions that we had on Sunday !

Kayaks: OK Tungsten Caper - Orange & White Alaw Bach - Orange Rockhopper - Pyranha Inazone 232.

Heard about this Sunday afternoon, apparantly there was 5 of them, the funny thing is I was supposed to be fishing a boat competition Sunday off that same stretch of coastline, which was canceled Saturday morning due to the forecast, I could'nt beleive people would even try it in those conditions. I'm all for a bit of adrenaline release but you've got to know your limits

Heard about this Sunday afternoon, apparantly there was 5 of them, the funny thing is I was supposed to be fishing a boat competition Sunday off that same stretch of coastline, which was canceled Saturday morning due to the forecast, I could'nt beleive people would even try it in those conditions. I'm all for a bit of adrenaline release but you've got to know your limits

They were lucky not to have their boats sunk by the coastguard/lifeboat/chopper.

As to aspiring lol not I, I came from sit ins to sit ons its me legs..too long

Glad they are safe and that it has not put them off especialy the youngsters.

Keep 'em upright :rolleyes:

Dave

Edited by Troller

Target fish: Anything!