Keep canoes off our rivers, e.petition.

Peter Waller

Slightly :offtopic: but I would argue for 'open access' for Anglers as well. Take the Czech Republic for example. There, once you have bought your annual rod licence you can fish any fresh water river, canal or lake. They are all public access the notion of riparian rights does not exist there.

I would go along with that, but I doubt the 1000's of riparian owners (including the Dean and Chapter/University of Durham who would let the canoeists on) would agree.

But there again, we have come to expect double standards from our chuch and other leaders.

We have a rent review in two years time, I somehow don't think they would see the logic if we told them that although we still wanted to fish the waters, we are not prepared to pay :headhurt:

Edited by wearyone

Tight Lines,

Wearyone

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sadly, in my experience, many anglers treat free waters as being worth exactly what they paid for access. Private waters tend to be better looked after because there are bailiffs, sanctions and people with a vested interest in the upkeep of the waters. It's not just anglers who treat public and private areas this way, compare the amount of dog crap in the average municipal park with that in the gardens of the average stately home.

I often walk around a wood that borders a golf course. The amount of rubbish in the undergrowth around the edges of the golf course has to be seen to be believed. I once actually saw three golfers swigging from beer cans at a tee and then just chucking the empty cans into the bushes. This was at six in the morning! So anglers are not alone in having their litter louts. But at least we acknowledge the problem and are trying to do something about it.

Incidentally I had no response from the secretary of the golf club at Gosforth Park in Newcastle to my letter complaining about the litter left by his members. In both of my angling clubs such behaviour would have meant a lifetime ban for those involved.

A Hammond