Keep canoes off our rivers, e.petition.

Peter Waller

Guest Rabbit
Can't really see a problem with this. How many canoeists are there anyway?

You seem a bit upset peter. What's the matter - did you discover that your "German girl" was really a big Geordie with a moustache?

Well at least Peter does add something to this forum other than being sarcastic. :thumbs:

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me, upset? I'll soon tell you when I am. For the record most yakkers that I meet are a pleasure to meet, but the yakkers that I meet don't tend to come from the same mould as yer average canoe person. I can only guess that those of you who don't have a problem with the canoe fraternity don't fish rivers much, or at least have never met up with canoe clubs.

And if Patty is a butch Geordie then why should I be upset? Something of a good laugh if it is so!

Am I a disciple or an apostle?

I try to keep as far across the river from other anglers as I can, having sat on both sides of the rod. That's a natural 'good manners' thing. I am sorry to hear that other people have different experiences, and disruptive groups actively sabotaging anglers is not about kayakers - it's about sabs. And they are a different thing altogether.

4WD vehicles and kayaks are not comparable, nor even are mountain bikes and kayaks. A kayak causes very little disruption or disturbance, gliding as it does through the top layer with only the paddle dipping below the surface and stirring up the first foot or so of water. Comparable to a swan perhaps?

Peter, you're welcome to have a go on my yak in the summer before buying one if you like. Far more comforatble (and free) on a sit on top than a sit-in, albeit more expensive.

Some of the places I canoe are not accessible to powered craft (ie the Waveney upstream of Geldeston) and are club waters. Many people canoe here, and the water is very clear. Last summer, for example, I passed over the top and 6 inches to the left of a pike I'd put at about 8-10lb, it was finning just under the surface at maybe 6 inches depth. I told my brother to look as he was 20ft behind me and it was still there, and he saw it. I'd say that we didn't cause a lot of disturbance at all. I have sat over big bream shoals for some minutes on the next stretch up from Ellingham, and again not seemed to spook the fish. And that's a fifteen footer in bright yellow. Mind you, I go nice and slow.

All for now. Interesting posts on this thread.

Wetter than an otter's pocket.

Mark said: 4WD vehicles and kayaks are not comparable, nor even are mountain bikes and kayaks.

They are, when it comes to disturbing other users, e.g. anglers and birdwatchers!

Thanks for the offer of a try, Mark. I sometimes use a friends sea yak. I've also had a play with the one of the ones that Brundall Angling are flogging. Mind you, I might go for a more subtle colour than yellow!

As a kayaker i don't think the BCU attempt to gain access to all stretches of waterway is on. I think that they have entered into the discussions with a blue sky approach and hopefully will be happy to attain something 50% towards their goal.

As anglers we are sympathetic to alot of the bankside wildlife and the ecosystems that exist within the rivers. shallow gravel areas for instatance are signposted spawning spots for some fish. This would not be considered by the majority of canoeists and these areas may be damaged. Reed beds which shelter nesting wild fowl and of course otter populations all need to be given consideration.

I do however think that canoeists should be granted more access to stretches of river but this should be agreed between the EA and BCU to establish low impact to banksides, wildlife, safety and of course other recreational users of the rivers anglers included who in truth contribute the biggest amount of funding to the EA from a recreational past time.

john

Edited by lazy hooker

Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf. You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time.

Lady Helen Charter Boat Penarth S.Wales

www.ladyhelencharters.co.uk

Hi

Once spent a week on the river Ardesh in the south of France,that river was taken over every day by hundreds of canoes.At the top end of the river loads of canoe hire firms had sprung up,hiring boats for the trip down the river some 37km i think.never seen anything like it ,screeming ,shouting ,jumping in the water from the rocks ,nude bathing ,picknicking on the banks leaving loads of rubish.Is the same thing going to happen on our rivers if the canoeists get the ok. Shame such a lovely place damaged by to many people.

If everyone respected the land and each other there would be no problem!

OK Prowler 13 Angler - Yellow

Species Hunt: Bass, Bream, Bull Huss, Coalfish, Dogfish, Flounder, Grey Gurnard, Mackerel,

Pike, Pollack, Pouting, Whiting

Previous kayaks:

OK Drifter Angler

Cool Otter Impulse

If everyone respected the land and each other there would be no problem!

Very true, but, unfortunately everyone doesn't, so there will.

Most of you lads from the kayak forum are anglers too. Because of this you have some knowledge of how to behave when you meet a fellow angler, and know the importance of spawning areas, and the possible effects on bank side wildlife. However, you are very much in the minority, and the 'right to roam' would mean that any idiot in a canoe could go anywhere he pleased, without any concern about the effects of his actions.

During my many years in angling, I have met plenty of idiots with a rod, and because they are usually, on the bank with me, I have been able to deal with them. Sometimes a quiet word does it, sometimes it has gone further.

I have also encountered some idiots with a paddle, but trying to talk or reason with them is futile, because they are away, up or down stream and gone!

I have no problem with most people who use the waterways with me. (and that includes trying to fish a match on the Witham, during a Lincoln to Boston boat race). But, the actions of a few canoeists, in the space of an hour or so, can, on certain stretches of water, ruin the whole day for many anglers.

That is why I believe the 'right to roam' as and when you please, will cause, so much trouble and friction between both sides, that it will ruin the pleasure we all get from our chosen pursuits.

John.

P.S. I've been trying to find the thread from last year, where we had some canoeists join just to put their point. It did get a bit heated, pehaps it was deleted.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

My two-pence-worth:

Canoeists should pay a canoeing license and designated areas should be displayed on paper / online for anybody who wants to see where they can do it. This information should be available to fishing license holders to so they know which areas they can avoid if they so desire.

Canoeists should be asked to not paddle over an anglers swim, and simply glide accross with their paddles out of the water, and if in pairs not to make much noise. When canoeists do this when I am fishing I thank them and all is pleasant. I think some people perhaps don't think or don't know enough about angling to realise how their splooshing and chatting can disturb a swim. If they are asked / informed then perhaps the majority will change and all will be happy.

The Angling Association I am a member of provide me with dates of any canoe races / events on the canal I fish, so I can avoid them. Other Angling Assoc's should also do this.

We should all be big enough and clever enough to use the waters together in harmony, but this can't be done without both parties having respect for each other rather than being enemies.

By the way none of these comments are a dig at anyone, just my thoughts.

Simon

www.myspace.com/boozlebear

A couple of points Simon.

I don't claim to be an expert on canoes/kayaks, but going upstream in even a moderate flow, requires you to paddle. It's worse if there are a line of anglers on the banks.

On the same point, the canoeist that entered the debate last year, made it clear that they had very little interest in, slow or wider stretches of water. They preferred the faster, shallower reaches, more excitement and skill involved.

Who would 'police' such a scheme? With the millions that are raised through fishing license sales, we still hear that there are not enough bailiffs.

Would there be an enforced registration scheme, where every canoe had to display a visible number, so that anyone breaking the law could be traced?

It would be brilliant if everyone could use all the waterways together, but I'm afraid, on some stretches, these two are totally incompatible.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John