I don't think they'd get a Wingham membership !

Tigger

What? Have I been trumped? Who caught a 10-04 from Wingham? I'm distraught!

For what it's worth on this topic I'm with Chesters. Angling causes fish to be stressed, if they weren't then they wouldn't swim away when hooked. Anglers try to reconcile our conscience by 'caring' for them when they're landed, if we really cared we wouldn't try to catch them at all.

I know Steve Burk caught a 10.6 shortly after and blew me out ! I've no idea what the Wingham tinca record is now but whatever it is it won't last long.

Andy there is no good fish handling (not even yours), just differing degrees of badness.

As for what seems to be your view that fish are so precious that we can't afford to loose any, I don't agree. Most healthy waters can afford to loose a few with no noticeable effects. Many you can easily fill a keepnet on may even benefit.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

What? Have I been trumped? Who caught a 10-04 from Wingham? I'm distraught!

For what it's worth on this topic I'm with Chesters. Angling causes fish to be stressed, if they weren't then they wouldn't swim away when hooked. Anglers try to reconcile our conscience by 'caring' for them when they're landed, if we really cared we wouldn't try to catch them at all.

so would you drop fish floundering about on rocks, mud, grass, gravel or what ever then take a while before putting them back but make sure you get a video of a sunset or something first.

If the answer is no then why not ?

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

Andy there is no good fish handling (not even yours), just differing degrees of badness.

As for what seems to be your view that fish are so precious that we can't afford to loose any, I don't agree. Most healthy waters can afford to loose a few with no noticeable effects. Many you can easily fill a keepnet on may even benefit.

You know me Brian, i'm not one of the pc types, far from it, but I can't see the point in being so uncaring with the fish I catch as those clowns in the vid. I try and treat them right so I can catch them again in future and in just as good conditon but hopefully bigger.

I reckon waters loose enough fish through natural causes etc without adding to it by being so ignorant. Ok, there's always gonn'a be some losses but it's gott'a be better to cut them down to a minimum.

Of course lutra but there is handling then there is really really bad handling then.there is just being an inconsiderate tw*t.

You know me Brian, i'm not one of the pc types, far from it, but I can't see the point in being so uncaring with the fish I catch as those clowns in the vid. I try and treat them right so I can catch them again in future and in just as good conditon but hopefully bigger.

I reckon waters loose enough fish through natural causes etc without adding to it by being so ignorant. Ok, there's always gonn'a be some losses but it's gott'a be better to cut them down to a minimum.

And you know I care for what I catch, but if your goal is to catch bigger fish, wouldn't it be better to kill a load so the rest grow bigger with less mouths to feed?

Andy,

For the three thousandth time. 18% plus or minus of hooked fish die. That is, they die exclusively as a result of being hooked.

I can't believe you are stupid so you must be ill informed. Google Scholar should help. There must be a thousand studies that confirms fishing kills fish. You seem unable to accept fishing is a blood sport no matter how you want to alter the words used.

If you are arguing for arguments sake I understand. If you really don't understand - it can't be said any more clearly. I doubt if 10 thousand studies would convince you. You have your mind made up.

Phone

Thats not my goal. My goal is to catch fish, any fish. A big one is always a possibility and adds to the mystery and excitememt and secretly we all want a bigger one (oo'er) but to chap little ones for my own sellfish gain would be wrong.

I don't and wasn't suggesting you go round chapping all the little ones. I'm as happy as anyone to fish for tiddlers all day long and probably more so than many in these specihead days.

IMO you and Ian are spot on right that we should be as careful as possible to see that the fish we catch go back in as good a nick as possible. I hate catching tatty fish.

Ireland tends to have good healthy waters and will soon sort out any weak fish.

Like i said chesters. The irony of it is not lost on me. The fact is i care for them in a way that im not about to boot them off my matt to get them back in the water. what good does that do ?

Your sounding like the old stuck in their ways trout anglers up here "kill them pike they eat all the broonies" so pig headed they dont see or dont want to see the bigger picture.

Perhaps the bigger picture is if they kill the pike (as they probably have through history) the pike are still around to kill .

A long dead bailiff used to kill jacks with a shotgun at one pond i fished ,lots of fine pike to catch ,hes dead pike fishing has dramatically declined ,either thinning them out is good or caring works in the opposite way we want or the water quality has declined ..all factors i mentioned in earlier posts

Whatever you believe angling is not entirely good for fish stocks ,if disease kills half the stock in a pond (generally its introduced or encouraged by over population) what does the club do ,let it alone and have anglers moan about low catch rates or chuck another lot in ?

Generally they restock.

In nature the fish left are hardier ,they have much more food so grow on to a bigger better older fish and pass those genes on to future generations

If you restock the opposite happens

Simply caring really doesnt work you need fish to die to improve things thats how it works in nature ,unfortunately anglers dont want it left to nature because they are selfish

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson