Mackerel fishing

Zigs

glad to know this

as i released a few last summer which going by your info they will be dead :(

i will pass the word round the guys i fish with

cheers

Welcome to Anglers Net chrishmfc, at least you consider releasing un needed fish, instead of leaving them to die on a hot beach & then dumping them by the bin in the car park. Your heart is in the right place & now so is your knowledge, cheers for passing it on. :)

OI OI,

Ziggy can you freeze them someone told me to freeze a few for nexed winters fishing is this possible as they aint that exspensive to buy from the tackle shop, What is your thought's on this one mate, as a newbie to sea fishing im starting to get paranoid about catching the buggers LOL HELP.

:headhurt: :headhurt: :headhurt: :headhurt: :headhurt:

BILL.........nemo mortalium omnibus horis sapit,

ENGLAND & ST GEORGE, C,MON

BRUMMIE IN EXSILE..........yo aint sin me roite

OI OI,

Ziggy can you freeze them someone told me to freeze a few for nexed winters fishing is this possible as they aint that exspensive to buy from the tackle shop, What is your thought's on this one mate, as a newbie to sea fishing im starting to get paranoid about catching the buggers LOL HELP.

:headhurt: :headhurt: :headhurt: :headhurt: :headhurt:

Yes, you can freeze them for bait, as long as you keep them fresh & get them frozen down asap. No good having fish lying around on a hot beach & then freezing them down. I freeze them individually & wrap each one in cling film, as they will dry out in the freezer unwrapped.

Another good point for those kept for the table, mackerel fat will degenerate into histamine in as little as 30 minutes on a hot beach, so, unless you want to end up looking like the michelin man or run the risk of death through anaphalactic shock, keep em cold.

Burying them in the cool shingle works for a bit, but to keep em tip top, freeze an ice cream tub full of sea water, this can take a few days to do, as sea water freezes at a lower temp than pure water.

Put the sea ice in a bucket of sea water when you start catching, this will super chill the bucket & keep em fresh for longer than water alone. Shade the bucket if possible.

If you dont want to go to this effort, have some anti histamine handy for your guests at the evening barbeque :)

OI OI,

Thank's for all your advice ziggy my friend & as the parrania is getting worse i will follow your advice to the LETTER.

:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

BILL.........nemo mortalium omnibus horis sapit,

ENGLAND & ST GEORGE, C,MON

BRUMMIE IN EXSILE..........yo aint sin me roite

i love it too :) Oh Oh danger!!!!!!!!! :wallbash:

I believe people have lost the sport interest in fishing, Large heavy broom stick beachcasters, large heavy reels with 30lb mainline and 3/6 hooks being slung out, overkill (TV program “Fishing on the Edge”)

Now with out a doubt Mackerel pound for pound is one of the best fighting fish in our waters, you can’t beat the fight on a light carp/spinning rod trotting a small float down the tide, you will only catch the fish that are feeding so you will never wipe out a shoal now with multiple hooks you have a greater chance of foul hooking them.

I’ve also used Mackerel for live bait on a small boat, feathering them up unhooking by hand and placing them in a bait tank then fishing with them all day at the end of the day placing the remaining Mackerel in to a bait kedge for the next days fishing and they where fine, no difference to Lance, sandeels or Scad Mackerel.

The biggest problem for the specimen hunters has got to be the pair Trawlers thousands of tonnes landed each month most of the fish is used for fertiliser not for eating purposes.

post-11856-1176399125_thumb.jpg

I must go fishing, And Live the Dream!

Secret Star, Plymouth Charterboat

hi just thought i would say how i return Mackerel alive i use long shanked barbless hooks so you can get hold of the hook eye and just turn hook over and the fish dropes off in to the water with no human contact i only keep what my family will eat . they are such a good sport fish and need to be returned alive so every year we can fish for them again and hopefully fatter fish!! the fatter the better. was down chesil on monday was really hot hundreds of people down there feathering didnt see any mackerel though was well busy shoulder to shoulder at west bex not very enjoyable when people cast over your lines.

cheers guys

:bigemo_harabe_net-163: Does drinking too much CIDER stop fish from taking your bait? :drunk:

Usually, as you forget to bait up.

Noticed this which might interest you Clive

"Powerstock Cider Festival. Friday 27th April 2007 at Powerstock Hut. Doors open 6.30 pm.

Dorset's largest independent Cider session - all in aid of charity, so you are drinking for a good cause! This event won the Innovation Award at last years Bath and West Show. Powerstock is set in the heart of the rolling West Dorset hills and space is limited - so come early. Plenty of excellent food producers also in attendance. Live band. Come and enjoy the atmosphere. More info from Nick on 01308 485 235. "

Just got back from seatown, the beach has washed out again & the big rock snags are back.

one mackerel, 54p, morrisons. not released.

glad to know this

as i released a few last summer which going by your info they will be dead :(

i will pass the word round the guys i fish with

cheers

;):(;) Not just dead but rotten or eaten by now!!! :o :o

BassMan - The holder of Possibly Very Good Catches - Luv to fish from Yaks!!!!

I believe people have lost the sport interest in fishing, Large heavy broom stick beachcasters, large heavy reels with 30lb mainline and 3/6 hooks being slung out, overkill (TV program “Fishing on the Edge”)

Now with out a doubt Mackerel pound for pound is one of the best fighting fish in our waters, you can’t beat the fight on a light carp/spinning rod trotting a small float down the tide, you will only catch the fish that are feeding so you will never wipe out a shoal now with multiple hooks you have a greater chance of foul hooking them.

I’ve also used Mackerel for live bait on a small boat, feathering them up unhooking by hand and placing them in a bait tank then fishing with them all day at the end of the day placing the remaining Mackerel in to a bait kedge for the next days fishing and they where fine, no difference to Lance, sandeels or Scad Mackerel.

The biggest problem for the specimen hunters has got to be the pair Trawlers thousands of tonnes landed each month most of the fish is used for fertiliser not for eating purposes.

post-11856-1176399125_thumb.jpg

some of them must have been approaching 48hrs since being handled then, any sign of handprints/ skin damage by then?

just set myself up with some fly gear for mackeral and bass, gotta be more of a challenge than feathering (and more fun) no mch chance of overcatch here any more :thumbs::thumbs:

If I ever get the hang of it they'll bloody well ban it!

By the way anyone fancy sponsoring me in the WSOP?