Mackerel fishing

Zigs

some of them must have been approaching 48hrs since being handled then, any sign of handprints/ skin damage by then?

just set myself up with some fly gear for mackeral and bass, gotta be more of a challenge than feathering (and more fun) no mch chance of overcatch here any more :thumbs::thumbs:

Hi Roryh,

The mackerel on the next day was fine no sign of any handprints the colour of the flanks was like a fresh run fish (Not dark gray). hows fishing in Torquay?

Rick

MustgoFishing

I must go fishing, And Live the Dream!

Secret Star, Plymouth Charterboat

i throw everything back ,they don't taste like real frozen fish from sainsbury,mind you unused worms are carefully returned to the sea

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

ziggy caught a mackerel on a dexter wedge today,30 minutes after that it was bbqued

The salary of the chief executive of a large corporation is not a market award for achievement. It is frequently in the nature of a warm personal gesture by the individual to himself.

John Kenneth Galbraith

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Roryh,

hows fishing in Torquay?

Rick

MustgoFishing

Dunno mate, not gotten out for a few weeks wot with work and the bloody kids :wallbash::wallbash:

If I ever get the hang of it they'll bloody well ban it!

By the way anyone fancy sponsoring me in the WSOP?

I copied Leon & Mikes letters off a different site, there were some bits missing, i.e. the references, heres the whole thing.

http://www.sacn.org.uk/Articles/Releasing_Mackerel.html

:)

This is something I had no idea about.

I wll be printing the article out for my local sea angling club members.

We are a boat fishing club and only catch for bait and a few to take home (mackerel).

Does anybody know if any other sea fish can die in the same way.

I would like to know this because we practice catch and return after satisfying enough for family /friends to eat. (all fish)

:wallbash:

This is something I had no idea about.

I wll be printing the article out for my local sea angling club members.

We are a boat fishing club and only catch for bait and a few to take home (mackerel).

Does anybody know if any other sea fish can die in the same way.

I would like to know this because we practice catch and return after satisfying enough for family /friends to eat. (all fish)

:wallbash:

There's always danger in handling any fish, but as far as I know it's only mackerel that have this problem due to their very specialized skin.

For other species, it's always best to handle with wet hands and to avoid removing slime and scales as much as possible.

If you are bringing fish up from deep and experiencing swim bladder problems, this article will be interesting:

http://www.sacn.org.uk/Articles/Dealing_wi...ed_Up_Fish.html

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

There's always danger in handling any fish, but as far as I know it's only mackerel that have this problem due to their very specialized skin.

For other species, it's always best to handle with wet hands and to avoid removing slime and scales as much as possible.

If you are bringing fish up from deep and experiencing swim bladder problems, this article will be interesting:

http://www.sacn.org.uk/Articles/Dealing_wi...ed_Up_Fish.html

Leon

Thank you for this info.

Again I will share it with the club members.

I do hope it works because I hate taking fish I cannot eat and this (Bladder) has always posed a problem to me.

• 1 month later...

I can not belive this is an issue, what kind of angler goes mackerel fishing for sport? ok to catch one or two on light gear can be fun for five minutes but I normally get fed up after five or six even on light gear,

They are hard work however when you need to catch hundreds to chop up for chum, after 50 or 60 your arm starts to ache.

Please Please check this out!

http://www.justgiving.com/tacyedewick?ref=

I can not belive this is an issue, what kind of angler goes mackerel fishing for sport? ok to catch one or two on light gear can be fun for five minutes but I normally get fed up after five or six even on light gear,

They are hard work however when you need to catch hundreds to chop up for chum, after 50 or 60 your arm starts to ache.

Mate!! A lot of Australian fishos just love fishing for mackerel......the proper ones, that is. :P

Catch a couple of these and you will know what good sport they are.....and even better eating. :thumbs: Spotty mackerel, 77 cm and 70 cm

Picture218.jpg

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

Young Poeple, new to the sport! my first proper sea fish was a Mackie, Older poeple who enjoy fresh fish! a string of feathers or a small mepps spiner compares nicely to a couple of score of rag and lasts a lot longer,To some the summer mackie run is something to be looked forward to My boy who is fourteen soon has fond memories of mackereling as a nipper and so do I.

Cant be a sin Can it?

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!