Mackerel fishing

Zigs

Young Poeple, new to the sport! my first proper sea fish was a Mackie, Older poeple who enjoy fresh fish! a string of feathers or a small mepps spiner compares nicely to a couple of score of rag and lasts a lot longer,To some the summer mackie run is something to be looked forward to My boy who is fourteen soon has fond memories of mackereling as a nipper and so do I.

Cant be a sin Can it?

Bast fish in the sea to eat, best fish in the sea for bait, always look forward to catching them. After the winter it is always a boring time untill the mackerel are in.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

• 1 month later...

If you do like catching them with a bit of sport involved, try this on a light (1 1/2lbs tc) carp rod and 8-10lbs line.

I make the floats out of balsa with lead inserts; based on the carpy's dog biscuit presentation.

It works best in flat calm conditions from an open beach or rocks. Vary the shot according to the depth you are fishing.

You'll have to get used to the float running sideways rather than dipping under!

floatscontroller.jpg

controllerrig.jpg

:rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

Whilst not doubting the bare bones of the reports, I do have to wonder if they overstate their case at times.

These are wild fish that live quite a rough & tumble life, recently, on a holiday at youghal we had numerous sport sessions with tiny single lures on light coarse rods catching far more than we needed to eat. The excess were gently held, unhooked & slipped back, I find it difficult to believe that all these fish were condemned to die on that basis.

The Mackerel fishing was quite simply amazing, & it wasn't unusual for the Mackerel to be actually charging into rocks after the sprats, that were behind our fishing position! on more than one occasion we could have picked up fish that had stranded thenselves if we had been quick enough.

On the beach at Youghal inside the bay, there was shoals of Mackerel charging in in less than a foot of water showering the beach with silver sprats & ending up on their sides in water too shallow to support them upright. With a few kicks they were off & swimming again but they must have had to scrape their bodies along the sand to do it.

Surely, nature wouldn't design a full blown predator so delicate that a light human touch of a wet hand is fatal to it. Please remember I'm not talking about chucking fish back, but of gentle unhooking at the waters edge.

Edited by peter mccue

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

I can only quote CEFAS Fisheries Scientist Mike Pawson on the subject (as Leon and others have done above ..... many of the published scientific papers are available through CEFAS or via a search engine like 'Google' or 'Ask.co.UK') .....

In the late 1970s we carried out several experiments to try to find out why dead mackerel were being found in vast numbers in the SW, co-incident with the purse seine and trawl winter fishery.

The short answer is that the fish died due to skin damage interfering with their ability to maintain osmotic balance, and the skin damage was due to abrasion between crowded fish in the nets.

We found that mackerel caught on barbless hooks and never handled, just dropped into keep tanks or nets, survived quite well if allowed to swim freely, but holding a mackerel caused enough damage to eventually kill it, sometimes two days later.

I have a number of publications showing the results of all this work.

These are:

Lockwood, S. J., Pawson, M.G. and Mumford, B.C., 1977. "Effects of holding mackerel at different densities in nets of various sizes." M.A.F.F., Fish. Res. Tech. rep. No. 33, 10 pp

Pawson, M. G. and Lockwood, S. J., 1980. "Mortality of mackerel following physical stress, and its probable cause." I.C.E.S. rapp. proc. verb., 177: 439-443.

Holeton, G. F., M.G. Pawson & Shelton, G., 1982. "Gill ventilation, gas exchange and survival in the Atlantic mackerel (Scomber scombrus L.)." Can. J. Zool, 60: 1141-1147.

Lockwood, S. J., M. G. Pawson and D. Eaton., 1983. "The effects of crowding on mackerel (Scomber scombrus L) - physical condition and mortality". Fisheries Research, 2: 129-147.

So, when anglers have caught enough mackerel for a fry or for bait, they should stop fishing for them unless they are using barbless hooks and can return the fish to the water without touching them.

Mike P.

Ada

• 4 weeks later...

Some thing which has surprised me in the last couple of weeks is shoals of joeys still chasing white bait on several South Wales marks.

Usually Bury Port is finished around end September / Mid October.

Edited by Ken Davison South Wales

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

Mackies and gars still being caught off South Parade Pier, Southsea, Hants last week!

At least one gar caught on the beach in the Drayton Open Match last Sunday!

I've caught them in matches till the end of October and seen the odd Solent macky in December; but for sheer numbers remaining, this autumn is unusual.

But we haven't had the autumn SW gales yet, either (?).

:huh:

I think someone should tell Hugh (River Cottage) about how to release mackerel without touching them; he did it all wrong in tonights episode....

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

I think someone should tell Hugh (River Cottage) about how to release mackerel without touching them; he did it all wrong in tonights episode....

Glad you reminded me of that John, the rum had just kicked in as i started watching and although i did notice that too, i forgot the rest of the episode :drunk: when is it repeated ?

Will tell him next time i see him down the harbour. :bangin:

Glad you reminded me of that John, the rum had just kicked in as i started watching and although i did notice that too, i forgot the rest of the episode :drunk: when is it repeated ?

Will tell him next time i see him down the harbour. :bangin:

When you see him Ziggy, kick him in, he will remember how to treat them then. :fish:

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..