Focusing

Norfolkdan

Hi all,

Recently got a new camera and am well impressed as it is so much better than my old one.

I love photo's that really focus on part of a photo and the background kind of blurs out.

For example, J.K's flora picture.

BicalCloseUpOfFangsAndNectar.jpg

Is there a way to do this or does the camera do it automatically?

Cheers all :)

Edited by Norfolkdan

Dan

Hiya,

To do this its better to zoom in as much as possible, in the example above I used 70mm.

Then go into aperature priority mode and select an F number like F5 or lower. The lower the F number the more blur will occur. Using F5 allows you to keep some of the closest features in focus but blurs the background.

I cant explain in words the technical side of it however im sure others on here can.

Joel

Edited by J.K

2PhJuly2013sig_zps25c667b8.jpg

the camera can also do this automaticaly using the macro.jpg Macro button/option.

these pics where all done hand held using the macro setting, in pretty breezy conditions, bar th alast one. if you use a tripod, you will get a much clearer image.

result can sometimes be a bit hit and miss but you can get some really good results.( not that im saying these are really good :rolleyes: )

catchpolesbait.jpg

butter.jpg

treewye.jpg

stinkyballs-1.jpg

Smelly nets.

Canon S3 IS

Samsung S500

HOBGOBLIN

mailto:grahamnoone@hotmail.com

您在来信中写道

Just another pointer (from a relative newbie) - you'll see from some of the pictures here that it also helps a great deal if you can get a reasonable amount of relative distance between your focal shot and the background (as in GC's pictures 1 & 3). For his shots 2 & 4 I'm presuming he managed to use the largest aperature he could.

Is your camera an SLR or a compact point and shoot? If the latter, as has been said, there will either be a macro mode or also a portrait mode, which should help. It's a great technique for getting some real pop in the picture.

Here's an example of a picture I took on the first day I got my new camera - I was such a novice that it amazed me - badly composed, but it made it look like I superimposed her on a background....

Pip.jpg

Focal length: 24.0mm (35mm equivalent: 36mm)

Exposure time: 0.0063 s (1/160)

Aperture: f/4.5

ISO equiv.: 100

Whitebalance: Auto

Metering Mode: matrix

Exposure: aperture priority (semi-auto)

So on this one, the focal length was not too long (i.e. I didn't zoom out to 70mm which is what this lens could do), but with a largish aperature (f4.5) and a good natural depth of field, it all got taken care of. Shame I didn't know I was doing it at the time. I've got a better understanding now... but only a bit. :blink:

Edited by Westie

Westie.

If you're being chased by a police dog, try not to go through a tunnel, then on to a little seesaw, then jump through a hoop of fire. They're trained for that.

Visit My Photo Gallery

ND - just been looking at your shots on the photo of the day thread - you don't need any help!!

Get out there and shoot some pictures of some broken stuff and get an entry into the competition!!

Westie. :thumbs:

Westie.

If you're being chased by a police dog, try not to go through a tunnel, then on to a little seesaw, then jump through a hoop of fire. They're trained for that.

Visit My Photo Gallery

Still learning myself about this focus stuff. Took this on Saturday on AV F4.8 think the effect was about right. Seascale needs "blurring out" anyway :bigemo_harabe_net-163::bigemo_harabe_net-163::bigemo_harabe_net-163:

Seascale.jpg

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Just another pointer (from a relative newbie) - you'll see from some of the pictures here that it also helps a great deal if you can get a reasonable amount of relative distance between your focal shot and the background (as in GC's pictures 1 & 3). For his shots 2 & 4 I'm presuming he managed to use the largest aperature he could.

Hi all

Westie, (Great picture by the way) those pics where taken using the Auto-macro setting, i let the camera take control of the lot, just to show Norfolkdan what can be done using that method.

some shots look amasing, and others look awfull, pot luck really with the camera i use, my camera you can now pick up brand new for £89.99, westies on the otherhand, i think is a Nikon D200 costs way over the £750 mark, lovely crisp images, and joels is a Konica Minolta(not sure what model, But it sure looks close to top end) so you get what you pay for, and i really cant wait to be able to afford to pay for what i get :thumbs:

i do like this forum :)

Smelly nets.

Canon S3 IS

Samsung S500

HOBGOBLIN

mailto:grahamnoone@hotmail.com

您在来信中写道