Fishfinder ...........help please

scotsgun

Guys, i need help.

I've just bought myself a Garmin Fishfinder 140 and need advice on how to install it. I've read some reports from the states but i can't work it out....what the hell is the vaseline and clingfilm for???? keep it clean! :blink:

Specific questions:

1. How do i mount the transducer on the inside of the hull?

2. I wish to put the battery inside the hull, between the footwells. So, what type of battery should i get - motorbike battery, closed cell gel type used for burglar alarms???

3. Do any of you use a solar panel to trickle charge the battery and if so, what wattage do you use (i was thinking 5w should be sufficient).

Thanks

Double glazing blocks road noise because there is an air gap. In a similar way if you have any air gaps between the transducer (which is like a high frequency loudspeaker) and the water, then hardly any signal will get through. The vaseline is intended to fill all the gaps. You can use other things like silicone sealants, as long as you mix it with no bubbles in it. Motorbike batteries are not ideal because they have liquid acid and they aren't designed for deep cycle use.

Edited by ColinW

Guys, i need help.

I've just bought myself a Garmin Fishfinder 140 and need advice on how to install it. I've read some reports from the states but i can't work it out....what the hell is the vaseline and clingfilm for???? keep it clean! :blink:

Specific questions:

1. How do i mount the transducer on the inside of the hull?

2. I wish to put the battery inside the hull, between the footwells. So, what type of battery should i get - motorbike battery, closed cell gel type used for burglar alarms???

3. Do any of you use a solar panel to trickle charge the battery and if so, what wattage do you use (i was thinking 5w should be sufficient

Hi Scotsgun

I fitted a 140 a few months ago. After many hours of research on this forum I used a hot glue gun to fix the transducer. I liked the semi permanent arrangement with this method and so far so good.

I use a Yuasa 2.8Ah battery that I got from an old house alarm. This is fitted in a lunchbox and stuck to the inside of the hull with velcro.

I don't know exactly how long this battery lasts but my longest trip has been 10 hours and it was still going strong. If I was buying a new battery I would probably get the 7.2Ah one in case I wanted to run something else off it. With that in mind I wouldn't bother with the solar panel charger unless you were going on a VERY long trip.

Good luck

Cobra Tourer

OK Scupper Pro

Dorset

I am in debate with myself on what f/f to get and how to install.

Dont want to fix permanently in case I get an additional kayak, so a portable f/f may be the answer but not sure how suction cup thingy will work.

My Garmin 80 f/f transducer was fixed permanently to my old kayak so I had to sell it with the yak :(

OK Prowler 13 Angler - Yellow

Species Hunt: Bass, Bream, Bull Huss, Coalfish, Dogfish, Flounder, Grey Gurnard, Mackerel,

Pike, Pollack, Pouting, Whiting

Previous kayaks:

OK Drifter Angler

Cool Otter Impulse

I am in debate with myself on what f/f to get and how to install.

Dont want to fix permanently in case I get an additional kayak, so a portable f/f may be the answer but not sure how suction cup thingy will work.

My Garmin 80 f/f transducer was fixed permanently to my old kayak so I had to sell it with the yak :(

I know basically nothing about fishfinders but what i can say is:

I bought mine from the states because is was so damn cheap and the current exchange rate is excellent. The Garmin 140 cost me £52 including postage and took 3 days to deliver.. I chose it because is has some fancy wide angle detection system and a big screen.

hi scotsgun,i mount my ff on the rear toggle molding. the ff transducer is fixed to a piece of stainless steel 2mm thick sheet with a vertical slot in it which allows the toggletriangle (the bit that the cord goes through -ocean kayak type)to go through and is held with a m5 capscrew and wing nut. this allows easy tightening and slackening so that the transducer can be raised up when dragging yak onto beach and lowered when ready to enter water. just like an outboard motor does just have to work out correct lenght of slot so transducer is obviously under the water line. i think off hand my plate is only about 8 inches long and4 wide with a slight curve and it works great.fitted like this it can be taken off anytime.hope this helps.

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/index.p...c=60537&hl=

I've got a feeling the above won't work.However if you click on my nickname and search through topic then click on the fishfinder one ,hopefully you'll see how I mounted mine-same model.

cheers Jon

EDIT:It does seem to work-out of interest the devcon 2 ton broke it's seal over the winter,as a quick fix I remounted it with marine sealant.It works fine in next doors swimming pool.Time will tell if it withstands coastal testing.

Jon

Edited by musket

"Some times the earth appears stale,flat and tedious, when lifes petty restrictions strangles the spirit and when a crowd of fellow mortals affects one as a collection of hopeless and soulless oafs,then all that is left to you is to take to the sea"

post-9185-1175194482_thumb.jpgpost-9185-1175194463_thumb.jpgHi scotsgun heres some pics they might help you, my transducer is stuck down with lexel (great stuff) takes a while to go off but strong and flexible. The cable gland came from RS components and the connection to the battery is a 2 pin 12v waterproof lemo connector in an otterbox with a 12v 7.3ah battery and waterproof fuse from Maplins , heavy duty stick on Velcro holds the battery box down fine . hope this helps dude!post-9185-1175194511_thumb.jpgpost-9185-1175194548_thumb.jpg