British apply "ridicule" tactic

DavyR

bit like monty pythons holy grail then,

Sir Galahad "Is there somebody else up there we can talk to ?"

French soldier " No, now go away or I will taunt you for a second time"

Hmmm, being awfully cavalier with a lot of peoples lives methinks.

Yes, we think we are right, and Iran clearly think they are. This isn't a bloody pub quiz though and I think the British public ought to have a bit more common sense than Taking our government or security services word for this (i.e. remember Iraq had nukes) and Taking the Iranians word for it either. What ought to be reported is their welfare and what is being done to secure them. Frankly if they were kidnapped in bloody dover it would be irrelevant - the important issue is how to get them back and ensure their safety.

Of course, the same government feeding us the media on this event is also responsible (in the main) for our current foreign policy with regards to Iran, and the breakdown of communication between us and them over the last two years.

What is wrong is government ministers making press statements to the media instead of getting on planes and fixing the bloody mess. Of course, no cabinet minister has the balls to step foot in Iran so maybe we need to question if the people running our little island are actually the right people.

Edited by UK-Fishing-Tackle.co.uk

Ian W

Hmmm, being awfully cavalier with a lot of peoples lives methinks.

Firstly, I want to make it clear that it was the BBC headline that I thought was unintentionally amusing, and not the extremely serious position that our service personnel currently find themselves in.

Secondly, whatever you want to blame the current government for (and there's plenty to choose from), you can hardly pin our relations with Iran on them. UK, US and indeed USSR (as was) involvement dates back to 1941, and general Western support for the Shah until he was deposed in the late 70s is well documented.

Of course, no cabinet minister has the balls to step foot in Iran so maybe we need to question if the people running our little island are actually the right people.

I think most people now know the answer to this one. This mob must go down as one of the most spineless and ineffectual bunch we've ever had.

But you're right, the welfare of our troops is THE most important issue here.

Our chief weapon is surprise

But you're right, the welfare of our troops is THE most important issue here.

Puzzled - not to pick on you specifically but just a response to that statement and other similar ones on this and other posts.

If the above is generally held to be valid, then I'm afraid the country is in bad trouble.

Getting the troops back (or making a visible 'best effort') is vital but getting them back intact or even alive is only a nice thing to do if it can be managed.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Puzzled - not to pick on you specifically but just a response to that statement and other similar ones on this and other posts.

If the above is generally held to be valid, then I'm afraid the country is in bad trouble.

Getting the troops back (or making a visible 'best effort') is vital but getting them back intact or even alive is only a nice thing to do if it can be managed.

Hi Newt

I don't agree with any of the previous post apart from trying the diplomatic avenue to get them back alive.

Why people should think the Navy Commander is lying about positions is beyond me, especially when the Iranians have done the same thing before.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

Guest Rabbit

Cant really see what more the Government can do at the moment apart from pursue the diplomatic channels. It is a very difficult situation and of paramount importance is the safe release of the sailors.

To consider any militiary action at this time would be totally wrong and would not help the sailors cause.

However, if one hair on their heads is touched then the talking should be over and Iran will be the losers. Iran is the next big problem in the Middle East. she is actively seeking trouble, America and her allies are just waiting for an excuse, this could be it.

Edited by Rabbit