closed season

dapper64

the closed season is now upon us but the thing thats puzzling is that in both the clubs I'm in the rules say we can still fish the river using certain baits such as maggots.the use of cerial baits +meat is forbidden,can I take this to mean we can fish the rivers for trout even though the coarse fish eat maggots ?its a tad confusing.

Guest Ferret1959

Your club may say that but it's the EA that make the rules.

Have a look on the EA website.

I would look it up for you but busy sorting my fish tank.

See if I'm allowed to gofishing in my first floor flat with out a licence while your there please. ;)

Your club may say that but it's the EA that make the rules.

Have a look on the EA website.

I would look it up for you but busy sorting my fish tank.

See if I'm allowed to gofishing in my first floor flat with out a licence while your there please. ;)

Thanks for your help it reads where statutory coarse fishing closed season has been removed, angling clubs can introduce their own closed season if they so wish.ps hope you didn't drop any of your fish on the carpet.

This is taken from the EA web site, dapper.

The close season lasts from 15 March to 15 June inclusive each year. Its purpose is to protect fish during the breeding season. It applies to all rivers, streams and drains in England & Wales, but does not apply to most still-waters. There are exceptions to this rule. They can be found in local angling byelaws which can be obtained from local Environment Agency offices by calling 08708 506 506.

From Saturday 16 June, anglers will be able to fish for coarse fish again in rivers and other waters where the close season applies, but they still need to have a valid rod licence and the consent of the landowner.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

the closed season is now upon us but the thing thats puzzling is that in both the clubs I'm in the rules say we can still fish the river using certain baits such as maggots.the use of cerial baits +meat is forbidden,can I take this to mean we can fish the rivers for trout even though the coarse fish eat maggots ?its a tad confusing.

You might well be allowed to fish for trout with bait but what you won't be allowed to do is throw ANY bait in the water (or introduce it to your swim by any other method such as feeder, dropper etc) This means that you are basically fishing a "chuck it and chance it" method. You won't build up a swim of fish or get them feeding properly. It seems to me to be a pointless exercise when you can fish properly in still waters.

This is taken from the EA web site, dapper.

John.

Hi john it says in the club book river aire,river swale,river wharfe.mixed fisheries,closed from 15 to24 march as Bye-Laws .So I 'll ring up one of the committee members and ask

I suspect those dates refer to the end of the coarse season (14th March) to the start of the brown trout fishing (24th March) where unles there are salmon in the river you cant fish at all.

There have been instances in the past when the EA have given special permission to use other baits on a river when there are no known stocks of coarse fish, but I would think these would be very few.

Just stick with artificial fly and you wont go far wrong. However if you start catching coarse fish move on, the EA could interpret that as intentionally fishing for them. They have prosecuted anglers in the past for doing just that. Also, only one rod can be used when fishing for trout on rivers and streams.

As has been said previously, no loose feeding or ground baiting by any method.

Tight Lines,

Wearyone

Hi john it says in the club book river aire,river swale,river wharfe.mixed fisheries,closed from 15 to24 march as Bye-Laws .So I 'll ring up one of the committee members and ask

Hi dapper, I didn't know you were from my neck of the woods. :thumbs:

(I'll just add for new members, it helps members to answer questions, if we know what area you come from. Even if you just put the county in your profile it will help.) :)

Anyway, is it the Bradford No1 book you've got dapper? It sounds like it.

I'm no longer a member, but if I remember right, it says somewhere that until the 16th June, it's worm only on these sections.

It's not like the old days where, if someone had seen a trout 10 yrs before then it was classed as a 'trout' water, and any bait could be used.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

If you are talking about Bfd No.1 as Gozzer suggests, I'll check my book when I get home this evening.....I'm 99% sure though that it's the usual artificial fly,worm, spinner and minnow only outside the Coarse season.

Edited by Paul_D

Paul