Next season

Anderoo

think mine is just to keep improving catching bigger fish and do more river fishing, as I really got back into it for the last 3 weeks of the season.

been out today to try and better my carp pb 23lb 12oz, got a bit of a shock, first pb of the day was a 4lb 12oz bream, then came a 4lb 8oz tench, then the real shock came a 8lb bream, which was double the size of my pb at the start of the day, not bad as I have never seen a bream come out in 5 years of fishing this water, also lost 4 fish hook pulls but no sign of the carp.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to get myself my first catfish this year, well maybe a kitten rather than a big moggy.

If anyone has any ideas of where to get one Im open to ideas of places to go

I'm going to try Bayford lake for catfish as soon as it warms up. Another place, that I believe has catfish is Holwell court. Both lakes are very close to me.

Im going to be trying to take chub from the surface using bread, bleak livebaits and surface poppers.

Try the smallest poppers you can find or better yet, a Heddon baby torpedo (not the tiny toepedo - it's to ligt to cast) flicked right unter the willows in fast shallow water and don't be to aggressive with the retrive - a wake is better than jigging and poping the lure.

A deerhair "bug" fished on a fly rod is even more fun but a mepps will outfish any surface lure for chub.

For me, the main aim is to enjoy some early season fishing because I didn't do any last year with my eye injury.

Targets will be pike and barbel on the fly rods, bass on lures if I can get to the coast a couple of times and as much surface pike action as I can cram in.

I also intend to make and test a couple of big lures designed to fish just below the surface.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I'm currently on a gravel pit, hoping to better my pb bream. So far though no bream but some nice tench, so I may get a surprise pb on that front. I'm also perch fishing on the local canal.

Come June it will be barbel, barbel, barbel with a few specifics that I will focus on.

Check out my weekly Angling Journal at.....Stewart Bloor's Angling Journal

My main aim is just to get out and do some fishing, with a full time job working 24/7 shifts, wife, two kids and studying for an OU degree in my spare time, any time I get on the bank this year will be a bonus.

But I'd really like to beat my tench PB, I've been stuck on 5-12 for longer than I can remember! I'd also like to catch a proper perch, I've never caught one bigger than a few ounces.

Mat

Mat

I plan to do more river fishing this season. Me and a mate used to travel down to the Severn a lot a few years ago but since he has moved away no-one else seems intrested in my circle of fishy friends. Maybe try the Ribble or the Dane once the close season is over. :fish: :fish:

I reckon I might be joining you or be fishing on one the waters close by for tench too! I really want to break the magical 9lb barrier (tench of course) that’s if I can get through any nuisance carp.

Rich

I reckon on the big lake we're fishing for doubles! A 9lber would be a pb for me, but they certainly go a lot bigger... last year I caught plenty but no really big ones. I was too late in the year though I think. We should get a plan together :thumbs:

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Took two years to get to know an old salt who catches 40# stripers consistantly off bridges. He finally shared his home made rigs gear and techniques with me. Never bridge fished before, he is out there mostly at night usually by himself. Bet the house, wife and dog I'll be out there this year.

• 7 months later...

:lol: I was just checking back on how I expected this season to pan out. The best laid plans, etc...:

Whether your new season starts on 1 April or 16 June, what are you hoping for next season? Any unfinished business from the last one? New challenges or waters? Or are you just hoping for a bit of peace and quiet and some nice lazy days by the waterside?

I got VERY distracted last season and failed to even really try to catch a carp from the Thames or a barbel from any of my local rivers, so I'll be returning to these with new vigour. [Again didn't really get round to it, apart from a couple of half-hearted attempts!] I'm hoping for some good early season tench fishing and a whopper or two [ :lol: Well, that didn't happen!]. I'm going to try fly fishing for pike in the summer months, which should be exciting! [it would have been, if I'd done it :rolleyes: ] There are a few undisturbed common carp in a lovely old gravel pit I've got my eye on, so I'm hoping to see one of those on the bank. [This lake is now full of Simmos following the floods, so that's that <_< ]For sheer pleasure and relaxation I'll be spending the warmer months stalking chub in the beautiful streams around here. [Oh dear. This didn't happen at all because the rivers covered the entire county] And I have one or two exciting new waters to try to get to grips with, time permitting! Hopefully next winter will be a lot more settled than this one and I can try again for that record chub :rolleyes:[still hoping for that one... :huh: ]

How about you?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music