tench fishing

basshead07

Hi all,

ive been tench fishing in the past quite a few times but now carp have riddled my head, now april is comin up very fast im going to give them another bash could any1 help me? i think my rig is ok a feeder with about 10 inches of line then to a size 6 hair rig and as bait i am using 10-15mm spicy shrimp and prawn boilies which usually work if not i also have scopex 15mm could you tell me if this is ok and what ground bait would you recommend?

thnx

tight lines, jay :thumbs:

dont be too dissapointed when you dont catch a fish after its not called catching its called fishing! :D

Most success i've had with tench has been with smallish baits . Red maggots , sweetcorn , caster etc . Are you fishing on Carp lakes ? I know the tench can become accustomed to Boilies but even on these kind of waters , the small baits seem to work well. As for a groundbait , something red and sweet always worked for me....although , i'd be waiting a few weeks yet before i start using it in any great amounts

Hi all,

ive been tench fishing in the past quite a few times but now carp have riddled my head, now april is comin up very fast im going to give them another bash could any1 help me? i think my rig is ok a feeder with about 10 inches of line then to a size 6 hair rig and as bait i am using 10-15mm spicy shrimp and prawn boilies which usually work if not i also have scopex 15mm could you tell me if this is ok and what ground bait would you recommend?

thnx

tight lines, jay :thumbs:

Hi Jay

What's the lake like (size, depths, features, etc.) and what kind of lake is it (gravel pit, shallow sandy lake, clay pit, etc.)? What's the stock (loads of carp, mixed fishery) and how do most people fish it (carp style with boilies, match style with maggots, etc.)?

These are the the things that will have the most influence on how you should fish it. For example, casters or red maggots are probably the best all-reound tench bait but there's no point using them if there are hoardes of little roach! Float fishing is the most sensitive method but if the margins are shallow you may have to fish out of float fishing range.

General advice would be that caster, maggot, worm, corn, luncheon meat, pellets, and boilies are all good tench baits, but some seem to work on some lakes and not so much on others. I generally use either red maggot, worm, fake maize or boilies, depending on where and how I'm fishing. My favourite groundbait mix has some sweet 'carpy' groundbait, green swim stim, brown crumb, corn and the juice from the tin, loads of hemp, maggots, and tiny pellets. This seems to work anywhere!

The most enjoyable way to catch tench is float fishing but sometimes you just can't beat a method feeder. One rod on each is what I usually do.

I can't wait to go tench fishing!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Thanx For The Advice the type of lake is mainly silt and clay but the silt is very thin there are ALLOT of lilies maybe not many this time of year but come the end of spring /sumer months the lake is half full of lillies allot of it has been taken out due to club members (including me) cleening up the lake and cutting down the lillies, its mixed coarse fish which include tench bream allot of roach and rudd and perch and eels there are quite a few carp in there these are the mainly fished species in the lake the smallest being 7lb roughly biggest just over 30lb but they dont often show in the daytime they mainly feed at night the top used baits are proberly boilies, maggots, corn, pellets in that order as for the method some consider it as a carp lake as there are on average 2-4 night fisherman fishing for carp a night with baits being boilies and gorundbaits being boilies

hope this helps

tight lines jay

dont be too dissapointed when you dont catch a fish after its not called catching its called fishing! :D

hi all just gonna give my report of the day

got there not getting the swim i wanted but stilll not a bad swim i fished with red groundbait called tonup and as bait a 10 mm boilie with 2 bits of corn on a size 6 hairrig

1 tench - 3lb

1 bream - 4lb

after that i had to get my sirface fishing kit out

MISSED 3 CARP OVER 15 LB!!!!!!!!

good day tho all in all

went again today had another 1 tench out on same method lucky git next to me had 4 carp up to 18 lb! i think im gonna try for a few carp next time :P