Boat Rods and reels

Jack Sparrow

Hi all, im just enquiring about a new boat rod and reel, i dont do a lot of boat fishing, but intend to do a bit more than i have in the past as i have family in Plymouth and i think i will be visiting more often, so can take the oportunity to do a bit more fishing.

So what would be a reasonbly priced rod and reel for the odd trip fishing over wrecks and reefs, i do like to fish light or as light as is practible, im not after something mega expensive because of the amount of times it would be used, i know you can hire them, but i find its nice to have your own as you get used to the feel of it.

YIS

JS

Hi all, im just enquiring about a new boat rod and reel, i dont do a lot of boat fishing, but intend to do a bit more than i have in the past as i have family in Plymouth and i think i will be visiting more often, so can take the oportunity to do a bit more fishing.

So what would be a reasonbly priced rod and reel for the odd trip fishing over wrecks and reefs, i do like to fish light or as light as is practible, im not after something mega expensive because of the amount of times it would be used, i know you can hire them, but i find its nice to have your own as you get used to the feel of it.

YIS

JS

Most tackle shops will offer a set up that includes both a rod and a reel these can start fro as little as £30.00 but it is a case of you get what you pay for, you mention wreck fishing so i wouls suggest that the reel you need is the Abu 7000 loads of these on the market at the moment for around £69.99 as Abu have changed the spec and brought out the new 7000i series, so you can pick up a bargin, rods will depend on a number of things but again as you mention wrecking then i would suggest a 20 - 30lb class as a min for those big Pollock, Conger, Ling etc. We currently have an Abu premium uptide rod with abu 7000 CS Pro Rocket for £89.99 but i am sure a tackle shop in your area will also have the same deals.

Chris

YIS

JS

:clap2: Too many to chose from. I suggest you use the boats tackle, they don't all charge for hire, then get a feel for what you prefer. Would you like a softer/longer/stiffer/shorter rod, did the reel feel right, what were the other anglers using, were they happy with their gear etc. I know what I like but I've had years to build up my "collection". There is so much tackle on the market today at almost "giveaway prices" that you could equip yourself with two sets, one for lighter fishing, pollock, bass plaice etc and one for the heavy stuff, cod, conger ling, skate. You could get both sets for under £100 but I'd suggest paying a bit more, especially for the heavier set. Don't forget the braid as most anglers now use it and you'd be at a disadvantage on a boat if you were the only one using nylon. :clap2:

Unless your fishing for ray or conger at anchor then 20lb class gear is more than adequate, and 12 or 15 better for everything except pirking. As suggested, try out some gear before making a choice. If you want a reel without a levelwind then get a SL30SH and put 30lb braid on it, nothing comes near it for the price at the moment. See the braid threads for advice on braid.

Like Fresh coffee? www.Bean14.com

Unless your fishing for ray or conger at anchor then 20lb class gear is more than adequate, and 12 or 15 better for everything except pirking. As suggested, try out some gear before making a choice. If you want a reel without a levelwind then get a SL30SH and put 30lb braid on it, nothing comes near it for the price at the moment. See the braid threads for advice on braid.

IMHO the tide and depth are the deciding factors regarding what rod you need, not what your fishing for.

If you are fishing shallow water with not much tide where you only need a few oz of lead then a 12 lb rod will do for almost anything that you will catch in that depth of water including Tope.

On the other hand fishing a strong tide in 120 ft + where even using briad you need well over a Lb of lead then anything less than a 30 Lb rod is going to be a pain as it will look like a hula hoop with a piece cut out when you are just retreiving the lead.

I suspect thats why there are so many rods to choose from.

Conoflex do 15 - 30 rod which is quite sensitive but will also handle a bit of weight it has a longer than standard handle so will cast uptide as well, nearest I've seen to an allrounder. Matrix 2 its called i think they still make it.

IMHO the tide and depth are the deciding factors regarding what rod you need, not what your fishing for.

If you are fishing shallow water with not much tide where you only need a few oz of lead then a 12 lb rod will do for almost anything that you will catch in that depth of water including Tope.

On the other hand fishing a strong tide in 120 ft + where even using briad you need well over a Lb of lead then anything less than a 30 Lb rod is going to be a pain as it will look like a hula hoop with a piece cut out when you are just retreiving the lead.

I suspect thats why there are so many rods to choose from.

Conoflex do 15 - 30 rod which is quite sensitive but will also handle a bit of weight it has a longer than standard handle so will cast uptide as well, nearest I've seen to an allrounder. Matrix 2 its called i think they still make it.

:clap2: A few years ago I reviewed the Conoflex 20/50 which was a good all round rod and I still use mine but I don't know if it's still in production but it's worth asking. If not go for the 2 rods, something like a 12/20 and a 30/50 with reels to match, like the Daiwa SL30SH for the 30/50 and a Shakespeare Powerplay or Atlantis for the 12/20 with braid on both. :clap2:

B)-->

QUOTE(Norm B @ Apr 3 2007, 12:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
:clap2: A few years ago I reviewed the Conoflex 20/50 which was a good all round rod and I still use mine but I don't know if it's still in production but it's worth asking. If not go for the 2 rods, something like a 12/20 and a 30/50 with reels to match, like the Daiwa SL30SH for the 30/50 and a Shakespeare Powerplay or Atlantis for the 12/20 with braid on both. :clap2:

Or even better just use SL30SHs or an SL30 and SL20 on both, that way you have common spares, and you get to know their foibles.

Phish - good point, perhaps boat rods need to be rated in terms of weight like spinning & beach rods? Having said that, a 12-20 will handle up to 1lb of lead, and that's easily enough for all drift fishing, even in 100m (300ft)+ of water. The secret is to use thin braid, and not fireline.

Like Fresh coffee? www.Bean14.com