issues with bacs not affecting me

liamfish

i must start this topic by pointing out that I have absolutely no need for a new rod....

but i'll still buy one mwahahaha

so heres what id like opinions on:

I mainly fish wier pools for chub, barbel, bream and the odd river carp. I am looking for a strong rod to heave in double figure carp but enough sensitivity to pick up fussy nibbles. I have a peregrine 10ft 2 lb rod which is perfect if i am targeting the carp but it struggles to pick up nibbles from the smaller fish in the flow.

so should I buy an off the shelf greys or the like? or have something made specific?

Any thoughts?

Liam

i must start this topic by pointing out that I have absolutely no need for a new rod....

but i'll still buy one mwahahaha

so heres what id like opinions on:

I mainly fish wier pools for chub, barbel, bream and the odd river carp. I am looking for a strong rod to heave in double figure carp but enough sensitivity to pick up fussy nibbles. I have a peregrine 10ft 2 lb rod which is perfect if i am targeting the carp but it struggles to pick up nibbles from the smaller fish in the flow.

so should I buy an off the shelf greys or the like? or have something made specific?

Any thoughts?

Liam

People are probably getting fed up with me saying this, but I'd go for a 1.5lb tc barbel rod with two tips (standard and quivertip). Mine is a Fox one and it's incredibly versatile, easily my most-used rod.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

liamfish

I may be a tad stooooopid, but what does this mean?

issues with bacs not affecting me, so i thought id buy me a new rod :huh:

Just interested :D

Nick

...life

what's it all about...?

will that have enough grunt for bigger fish?

Yes. You'd be surprised at how big a fish a rod like that can handle! I'd say that (excepting Catfish and the very largest carp and pike) there isn't a fish in Britain that it couldn't land (snags permitting!). Higher test curves are mainly only useful for casting heavier weights further.

Because it's softish at the tip you can use it with smaller fish too.

The fashion for higher test curve rods has got wildly out of control.

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

cheers liam - don't take on board too much of the news these days :)

Good luck with the search for a suitable rod :D

Nick

...life

what's it all about...?

The fashion for higher test curve rods has got wildly out of control.

I agree 100% - after all, Dick Walker managed to land his 44lb carp on a 1.5lb tc rod. My 1.5lb rods bend into a lovely hoop when under pressure, but they have terrific stopping power without unduly risking a break when used with 6-10lb line.

I'm amazed at the numbers of carp anglers I see fishing small lakes with batteries of matching 2.75lb tc rods and big pit reels. And don't get me started on spods being used at distances that an underarm chuck by hand could reach...

so maybe i should just pop onto ebay/ buy mass market rather than going custom.... spend less than 100 notes rather than nearly 200

Most of the mass market rods are so good these days, I do wonder what extra you're getting for your money by going for a custom rod, other than the (admittedly) good feeling of buying something hand-made in the UK rather than factory-made in the Far East? It's different, of course, if you have specific requirements that can't be matched by an off-the-shelf model.