Indian River Lagoon Coast Fishing Forecast

Indian Lagoon Coast Fishing Forecast, April 2007

Complements of Mosquito Creek Outdoors

One of best things about fishing is it provides us with a forced mind flush. Once we are on the water, fishing eases our mind’s tensions by forcing us to concentrate on the task at hand. Fresh air in our lungs, sunshine on our skin, and screaming drags, all serve as escapes from reality. So flush away, because spring delivers some of the hottest fishing experienced on Florida’s Indian Lagoon coast all year.

In the inlets, look for good numbers of sheepshead and black drum around structures such as jetties and docks, and Spanish mackerel, blues, and large jacks in open water. Also look for the nighttime snook and tarpon action to heat up in the Sebastian Inlet.

Offshore, April marks the beginning of the fishing season for most blue water anglers. It represents the start of the April/May northern migration of dolphin in deeper water, 120 feet and beyond, and usually brings in some of the largest bulls taken all year. April also marks the beginning of the Easter kingfish run on the near-shore reef outside Port Canaveral. It’s the time of year when most of the larger kings, 30 to 50 pounds, are taken off 8A Reef, and Pelican Flats. Additionally, look for bottom fishing to improve as the mangrove snapper begin their spring aggregation for the spawn on or near the full moon.

As we move in near-shore, tripletail should become more dependable, and look for a late season cobia run. The cobia run thus far has been one of the best experienced in years. Also look for the bait pods (pogies) to become more dependable along the beach bringing Spanish mackerel, blues, reds, mongo jacks, sharks, and smoker kingfish with them.

On the lagoon flats, fish the early morning and late evening with your favorite top water plugs for extreme trout and redfish action, and soft plastics and jigs in deeper water, 2 to 3 feet, midday. April is one of the months when trout are egg laden for the spawn, so it’s very important to handle and release the larger females with extreme care. If you are looking for snook and tarpon action, the Sebastian River will be the place to go, and as the water warms up, look for these gamesters to become more prevalent along the beaches and in the north IRL as well.

Last but not least, freshwater largemouth and striper bass action will be heating up on the St Johns River. Look for schooling bass at first light feeding on menhaden from the Osteen Bridge to Lake Harney. My favorite locations are in the river bends near the power lines at Lemmon Bluff, and at the south end of Lake Harney where the River dumps into the lake. A good way to locate these schooling fish is to look for white pelicans and other wading birds congregating along the shore. When in the feeding mode, these fish will take most swim plugs, and small live shiners. Like everywhere else this year, the water levels are extremely low, so please be careful.

In closing, I would like to thank those of you who facilitate my reports by providing me with current information and incite, and also my readers for your responses and inspiration. April is shaping up to be a very busy month for me, and between events and my charters scheduled, I only have six day left open. So if you have been thinking of booking a spring fishing adventure, give me a call before my availability is consumed.

Events Scheduled:

I am very excited about my involvement in Coastal Angler Magazine Boating and Fishing Expo scheduled for April 20, 21, and 22, at the Melbourne Auditorium. At this year’s event, I have teamed up with Chris Myers, Ron Neff, Bill Stewart, John Kumiski, Dave Haviland, Jerry Goldsmith, and Mosquito Creek Outdoors to present our Angler’s Skill Improvement Clinics. These clinics are hands on learning opportunities where you can learn the basics or hone just your skills by learning how the seasoned anglers rig and use their tackle. The clinic schedule is listed below:

Mosquito Creek Outdoors Anglers Skill Improvement Clinics

Friday April 20th:

10:30am Rigging for Offshore Trolling, Captain Ron Neff

11:30am Rigging for Offshore Bottom Fishing, Captain Bill Stewart

12:30pm Fly Casting, Dave Haviland

1:30pm Knots Lines and Leaders, Captains Chris Myers and Tom Van Horn

2:30pm Braid Line Applications, Captains Chris Myers and Tom Van Horn

3:30pm Rigging Soft Plastics, Captains Chris Myers and Tom Van Horn

4:30pm Kayak Fishing and Rigging, Tom Van Horn and Jerry Goldsmith

Saturday April 21st;

10:30am Rigging for Offshore Trolling, Captain Ron Neff

11:30am Rigging for Offshore Bottom Fishing, Captain Bill Stewart

12:30pm Fly Casting, Fly tying continuous John Kumiski,

1:30pm Knots Lines and Leaders, Captains Chris Myers and Tom Van Horn

2:30pm Braid Line Applications, Captains Chris Myers and Tom Van Horn

3:30pm Rigging Soft Plastics, Captains Chris Myers and Tom Van Horn

4:30pm Kayak Fishing and Rigging, Tom Van Horn and Jerry Goldsmith

Sunday April 22nd:

10:30am Knots Lines and Leaders, Captain Chris Myers

11:30am Rigging Soft Plastic Baits, Captain Chris Myers

12:30pm Fly Casting, Dave Haviland

1:30pm Braid Line Applications, Captains Chris Myers and Tom Van Horn

2:30pm Rigging for Offshore Trolling, Captain Ron Neff

3:30pm Rigging for Offshore Bottom Fishing, Captain Bill Stewart

On the Stage Presentations

Mark Nichols Friday, April 20 12:00 DOA

Jerry Goldsmith Friday, April 20 1:00 Kayak Fishing

Capt. Mark Wright Friday, April 20 2:00 Live Pigfish for Summertime Trout

Rob Branaugh Friday, April 20 3:00 Maintaining Your Outboard

Capt. Ron Neff Friday, April 20 4:00 Deep Jigging

Capt. Keith Kalbfleisch Friday, April 20 5:00 Near shore Fishing

Capt. Brian Clancy Saturday, April 21 11:00 Fishing the North End of Mosquito Lagoon

Capt. Budd Neviaser Saturday, April 21 12:00 Offshore for Dolphin

Capt. Jim Ross Saturday, April 21 1:00 Light-Tackle Flats 101

Capt. John Kumiski Saturday, April 21 2:00 Fly fishing for Redfish

Capt. Troy Perez Saturday, April 21 3:00 Redfish and Sea trout in Mosquito Lagoon

Capt Rodney Smith Saturday, April 21 4:00 TBD

Mark Nichols Saturday, April 21 5:00 DOA

Capt. Bill Stewart Saturday, April 21 6:00 Bottom Fishing out of Sebastian

Capt Ron Neff Sunday, April 22 11:00 Tuna

Capt. Budd Neviaser Sunday, April 22 12:00 Offshore for Dolphin

Capt. Shawn Foster Sunday, April 22 1:00 World Records, TV, and Celebrities--Stories

Capt Russ Rivers Sunday, April 22 2:00 River of Abundance--Fishing the Indian River Lagoon

Capt Tom Van Horn Sunday, April 22 3:00 Kayak Fishing

Capt. Chris Myers Sunday, April 22 4:00 East Central Coast Tarpon

For more information on the CAM Expo and to acquire a discount coupon, visit the following link: http://www.coastalanglermagazine.com/docs/flyer2CAM.pdf

As always, if you have questions or need information please contact me.

Good luck and good fishing,

Captain Tom Van Horn

Mosquito Coast Fishing Charters

www.irl-fishing.com

captain@irl-fishing.com

407-366-8085 land line

866-790-8081 toll free

407-416-1187 on the water

Skank