Political Quotes

severus

Here's mine:

"Wilkes, I don't know whether you'll die upon the gallows or of the pox."

Wilkes responded "That depends, my Lord, whether I first embrace your Lordship's principles, or your Lordship's mistresses."

John Wilkes ~1725-1797

What a great come back. :thumbs:

Be good and you will be lonely.
~ Mark Twain

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bessie Braddock: “Sir, you are drunk.”

Churchill: “Madam, you are ugly. In the morning, I shall be sober.”

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Lady Astor I think Ken,

Another from the good lady & Winston...Winston if you were my husband I'd give you poison.....Madam if your were my wife I'd take it! :thumbs:

Love it.

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

Lady Astor I think Ken

There seems to be a lot of dispute about exactly who was involved and even ehether Churchill actuall ever said any such thing - a bit like "Beam me up Scotty" or "Play it again Sam". Still, the line's too good to pass on.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

This one seems apt, given the current rallying to the christian flag in the US of A...

The Bible is not my book, and Christianity is not my religion. I could never give assent to the long, complicated statements of Christian dogma.

-- Abraham Lincoln

This one seems apt, given the current rallying to the christian flag in the US of A...

The Bible is not my book, and Christianity is not my religion. I could never give assent to the long, complicated statements of Christian dogma.

-- Abraham Lincoln

Interesting. Do you have a source for that quote?

Be good and you will be lonely.
~ Mark Twain

"There will always be death and taxes; however, death doesn't get worse every year." -- Anonymous

"In politics, stupidity is not a handicap." -- Napoleon Bonaparte

"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last." -- Winston Churchill

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong." -- Voltaire

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

"I was recently on a tour of Latin America, and the only regret I have was that I didn't study Latin harder in school so I could converse with those people."

Dan Quayle

"What I am against is quotas. I am against hard quotas, quotas they basically delineate based upon whatever. However they delineate, quotas, I think, vulcanize society. So I don't know how that fits into what everybody else is saying, their relative positions, but that's my position."

"It's clearly a budget. It's got a lot of numbers in it."

"One word sums up probably the responsibility of any Governor, and that one word is 'to be prepared'."

George W. Bush

A modest man, who has much to be modest about - On Clement Atlee

Winston Churchill

"I don't know what I would do without Whitelaw. Everyone should have a Willy."

Margaret Thatcher.

"China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Former French President Charles de Gaulle.

"Traditionally most of Australia's imports come from overseas."

Former Australian cabinet minister Keppel Enderbery.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Interesting. Do you have a source for that quote?

http://www.quotedb.com/quotes/2140

Here are a few more in a similar vein from other ex American Presidents.

"When a religion is good, I conceive it will support itself; and when it does not support itself so that its professors are obliged to call for the help of the civil power, 'tis a sign, I apprehend, of its being a bad one." Benjamin Franklin.

I have found Christian dogma unintelligible. Early in life, I absenteed myself from Christian assemblies.

-Benjamin Franklin

Religions are all alike; founded upon fables and mythologies.

-Thomas Jefferson, U.S. President

Christianity is the most perverted system that ever shone on man.

The Christian God can be easily pictured as virtually the same as the many ancient gods of past civilizations. The Christian god is a three headed monster; cruel, evil and capricious. If one wishes to know more of this raging, three headed, beast-like god, one only needs to look at the caliber of the people who say they serve him. The are always of two classes: fools and hypocrites.

On the dogmas of religion, as distinguished from moral principles, all mankind, from the beginning of the world to this day, have been quarreling, fighting, burning and torturing one another for abstractions unintelligible to themselves and to all others, and absolutely beyond the comprehension of the human mind.

We discover in the gospels a groundwork of vulgar ignorance, of things impossible, of superstition, fanaticism and fabrication.

The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the Supreme Being of His Father, in the womb of a virgin will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter.

The United States of America should have a foundation free from the influence of clergy.".

-George Washington, Revolutionary War General and U.S. President

Religious controversies are always productive of more acrimony and irreconcilable hatreds than those which spring from any other cause.

-George Washington, Revolutionary War General and U.S. President

It seems to me that these good old guys had a sight more gumption than the current incumbent.

This is one of my favourites, attributed to Thomas Paine. Not an ex-President, but one of the Founding Fathers.

"I do not believe in the creed professed by the Jewish Church, by the Roman Church, by the Greek Church, by the Turkish Church, by the Protestant Church, nor by any Church that I know of. My own mind is my own Church. Each of those churches accuse the other of unbelief; and for my own part, I disbelieve them all." A man after my own heart if there ever was one.

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Genghis Khan (1167-1227): "The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies, to chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth, to see their near and dear bathed in tears, to ride their horses and sleep on the bellies of their wives and daughters."

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote