Political Quotes

severus

I wish I could have met Ben Franklin, I am sure we would have gotten along.

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Very apt these days.

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John F Kennedy: 'Ich bin ein Berliner!'

How profound and uplifting to a city surrounded by the Russians "I am a jam doughnut!"

Who said George Dubya had the monopoly in mangling a language?

If he had said "Ich bin Berliner", it would have made far more sense to the beleaguered denizens of the beautiful city. Worse still he was reading it from cue cards written by Willi Brandt, and added the indefinite article himself.

Henri IV of France: "Paris vaut bien une messe" ("Paris is well worth a Mass") - Given that the French have never defended their capital city in the last 150 years, I very much doubt it was worth a mass!

(Excuse the irony, I adore Paris - it's my favourite city)

Edited by Alan Stubbs

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

John F Kennedy: 'Ich bin ein Berliner!'

How profound and uplifting to a city surrounded by the Russians "I am a jam doughnut!"

I don't think that it really mattered. The Berliners new what he MEANT and that is more important than the grammar. I often make similar mistakes in French, occasionally I get corrected, or it raises a titter, but it seldom causes offence. (Apart from one time when I got dégulasse confused with dégoûtant) Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

Another one from Ben Franklin. Not political, but typical Franklin.

I wake up every morning at nine and grab for the morning paper. Then I look at the obituary page. If my name is not on it, I get up.

Not from a politician. From a biologist - but it doesn't get much more political:

"The welfare state is perhaps the geatest altruistic system the animal kingdom has ever known. But any altruistic system is inherently unstable, because it is open to abuse by selfish individuals, ready to exploit it."

Richard Dawkins - The selfish gene.

The follow up appears to me to be an early broadside at the established church - particularly, the Catholic and Islamic church.

"Individual humans who have more children than they are capable of rearing are probably too ignorant in most cases to be acused of cocious malevolent exploitation. Powerful institutions and leaders who deliberatly encourage them to do so seem to me less free from suspicion."

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Here's one for you chesters.

The original

As he would have said it had he been a Brit

i would have said i wasent a member of any political party i'm a party pooper

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Whilst not strictly speaking a political quote, this one kills me. Jerry Falwell was one of these daft fundies.

"Grown men should not be having sex with prostitutes unless they are married to them."

CNN's Crossfire 17/05/1997

Edited by corydoras