Google Photos

kirisute

Google has just shipped out a new Photos app and service.

basically its using a lot of new tech to geo locate, face recognition, create animations etc etc

the plus side of all this is that they are offering UNLIMITED cloud storage!

ive started backing up my photos to the service; its produced some pretty cool stuff like below:

https://goo.gl/photos/vCUNnowr9gY5NL5U8

only just started using it; but even as a free back up service the unlimited feature is worthwhile considering if you don't mind Google testing out their algorithms on you! LOL

Edited by kirisute

lol

only if you don't want to hotlink files direct into forums!

the google system wont give you a JPG link; it uses googles own file format to give a small size but virtually lossless image transfer.

sadly that means you cant drop them into forums like you can photobucket links :(

you have two choices: you can use their unlimited service which will create the new file types or you can have 15gb of free storage at the same resolution/file size of your originals.

ive not tested the latter version yet.

Arse. I have enough (paid for) cloud storage with iCloud, I was just after a way of embedding images that didn't require me to use Photobucket's interfaces, which smell of poo.

selling yer soul to the devil with google. the fact cloud, geolocation, and face recognition were mentioned would have raised alarm bells, with me anyway.

if you have your own hosting then that is the ultimate solution.

noticed A-N is running on the cloud. it gets seriously slow at times I dont even bother, double posts happen, and it goes down almost everynight around 1am. really not a fan of cloud computing. IMO the gov's eyes light up at this stuff as a lot of hardware and services are switching to it. why does my entire phone need backed up to it when I dont want it to!.............

ranting now.

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

I agree to an extent! ( bet that shocked you!)

I'm not a huge fan of cloud based stuff; but we have just rolled over to google domain at school and it's been a game changer for us!

Financially, educationally and in methodology and pedagogy!

Yes, you accept Google will use your stuff for testing etc

But to be honest what I've seen so far has been damned impressive!

And having taken the plunge its nice to look at pictures I haven't looked at ages on my hdd!

I'm not taking them off my physical devices! Don't trust the cloud that much! Lol!