Fishing Near London

Rutland Emigree

Hi All

Have just moved to London from Leicester, where I was spoilt for choice in terms of fly fishing venues. I'm now based in Ealing, near the bottom of the M4. Am willing to drive, but wanted some advice on where I could fly fish near by.

I'm used to stillwater fly fishing. I used to fish regularly at Rutland, Eyebrook, and Thornton reservoirs. Used to be a great way of winding down on a weekend. Have been searching the net for 'Fly fishing near London', and have just got a load of commercial rubbish.

The only real possibility I've found so far is a fishery at Syon Park, just down the road in Brentford. Haven't tried it yet, but drove to the car park of the Garden Centre next to it and, at least when I was there, it was incredibly noisy. Plane after plane bound for Heathrow flying overhead, didn't seem to make for a relaxing day out. But maybe I went at the wrong time of day? I know where I live the planes are noisier at some times over others...

Is Syon Park any good? Are there any larger waters/reservoirs near (i.e. within about an hour of West London) by?

I'd love to try some river fishing, but would have to buy a load of new kit I think, and wouldn't know where to start in terms of tactics. My gear is limited, and probably too heavy (7/8 rod) for fishing for small brown trout on rivers, but maybe this is the way to go if it's in relatively easy reach from London.

I guess I'm still a bit of novice, started fly fishing about five years ago. But I got to know places like Rutland well, and used to do pretty well there. I now really miss it. The price of living in London!

Can anyone help?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Syon is a good fishery.A tad noisy with the aircraft i suppose,but some nice fish stocked from the 'Albury' waters.

Halliford Mere near Sheperton offers catch and release,with option of taking a fish or two if required.£20 day

Further south you have 'Albury' down near Guildford.5 lakes and two smaller pools plus some narrow stream.Very pleasant,nice quality fish as well.

To the north,up near Epping is Nortons.Various ticket options.Found the fish on the small side,but catch and release an option here.Cheap enough at £20 day.

Syon, is a good fishery, but a bit too easy,,,just a word of warning, on a windy day,,forget it,, you will freeze their,, because it is so open,, the wind seems to hit the lake with a vengence

Thanks for the heads up! Well, I have a day off today, going to give it a go. Will wear thermals!

Syon, is a good fishery, but a bit too easy,,,just a word of warning, on a windy day,,forget it,, you will freeze their,, because it is so open,, the wind seems to hit the lake with a vengence

Looks like you were right on both counts. I have to admit, when I read that 'bit too easy' bit, I was secretly pleased! Great, I thought, going to catch some fish then! And how: had bagged up in no time. There's no C & R there, so I ended up half hoping the last fish would come off so I could fish a bit longer! :rolleyes: The place must be stocked to the hilt. I saw fish moving more or less constantly. Looked like a buzzer hatch, and after one cast, I was able to confirm it as such. But it was all over very quickly, and hard to avoid the feeling that I couldn't miss. Maybe I just went on a very productive day? Am not really complaining, and would have been disappointed if I'd blanked, but just felt like the challenge was missing a bit.

It was lot of money: best part of 40 quid for a four fish ticket. The fish were in OK condition, the fins were in place, but after Rutland trout, they looked like fat bloaters, and they were a bit sluggish. Like I say, I guess I've been spoiled living in Leicester, and I shouldn't expect more from a small lake.

Still, I enjoyed the day out, and will definitely go back. Nice to feel the pull of a fish after such a long break. The fishery weighing room is plastered with pictures of double-figured monsters. I can well believe it! Though all of my four fish were (only!) around the 3lb mark, I saw some bigger fish moving (but they didn't get a look in!). The aircraft noise didn't bug me, and wasn't anywhere near as bad as I remember from when I last visited the area. I think perhaps this would be a good 'after work' fishery, particularly when fish are on the top of the water. Can imagine fishing a late evening rise in early summer after a tough day at the office! Still, I'm left longing for a big water, I guess Bewl is the nearest place.

Oh, I say right on both counts, because you were also right about the cold. It was bloody freezing. Thermals made little difference. The forecast was for a SW breeze of up to 8mph. It felt like an Easterly gale! I must be getting old!

Glad you had a decent day out :)

Were you fishing barbless? If not give it a go, and give some slack line just before you net the fish - amazing what can happen ;)

Nick

...life

what's it all about...?

Looks like you were right on both counts. I have to admit, when I read that 'bit too easy' bit, I was secretly pleased! Great, I thought, going to catch some fish then! And how: had bagged up in no time. There's no C & R there, so I ended up half hoping the last fish would come off so I could fish a bit longer! :rolleyes: The place must be stocked to the hilt. I saw fish moving more or less constantly. Looked like a buzzer hatch, and after one cast, I was able to confirm it as such. But it was all over very quickly, and hard to avoid the feeling that I couldn't miss. Maybe I just went on a very productive day? Am not really complaining, and would have been disappointed if I'd blanked, but just felt like the challenge was missing a bit.

It was lot of money: best part of 40 quid for a four fish ticket. The fish were in OK condition, the fins were in place, but after Rutland trout, they looked like fat bloaters, and they were a bit sluggish. Like I say, I guess I've been spoiled living in Leicester, and I shouldn't expect more from a small lake.

Still, I enjoyed the day out, and will definitely go back. Nice to feel the pull of a fish after such a long break. The fishery weighing room is plastered with pictures of double-figured monsters. I can well believe it! Though all of my four fish were (only!) around the 3lb mark, I saw some bigger fish moving (but they didn't get a look in!). The aircraft noise didn't bug me, and wasn't anywhere near as bad as I remember from when I last visited the area. I think perhaps this would be a good 'after work' fishery, particularly when fish are on the top of the water. Can imagine fishing a late evening rise in early summer after a tough day at the office! Still, I'm left longing for a big water, I guess Bewl is the nearest place.

Oh, I say right on both counts, because you were also right about the cold. It was bloody freezing. Thermals made little difference. The forecast was for a SW breeze of up to 8mph. It felt like an Easterly gale! I must be getting old!

Well done.Had the same at Albury last week.Fish hard on buzzers-crash bang wallop,thanks very much.Now you have paid your first £12,you will get a ticket in the post so £10 to fish next time plus cost of the four fish ticket.One plus with Syon and Albury is if you should blank or not catch your limit,the unused tickets are valid for however long,up to next march.IE,if you have two tickets left,and you want a four fish limit,just buy a two fish ticket.

Have a look at Rib Valley Lakes just north of Hertford (just off A10) its got a website.

Not a fluff chucker myself I fish the coarse lakes there but I think it has got a pretty good reputation certainly seems popular throughout the season.