Fishing Near London

Rutland Emigree

I've fished Rib Valley quite a few times. Good spot is in the stretch closest to the club house and on the wooden walkway. That bit is only about 3m deep but the new fish gets released into that section and tend to stay there. Most are between 2lb and 4lb. So if you want action, that is the place to be...There are some deeper areas around the other side of the lake where you might catch some bigger fish but you will prop catch less.They have a map in the tackle shop that gives you the depths of the lake. I've always caught on cats whiskers and orange blob. Fished there on Sunday and black and red buzzers worked best. Fishing with a floating line and about 12ft leader with a slow retrieve. Sometimes a sinking lines works well . Fishing hard on the botton with a slow retrieve. Another trout fisheries that you can try is in Maidenhead and I think called Sleephouse Trout fisheries. I've never been succesfull there though...Also check out this link http://www.fishingnet.com/England/trout_fisheries.htm. Good luck :thumbs:

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've fished Rib Valley quite a few times. Good spot is in the stretch closest to the club house and on the wooden walkway. That bit is only about 3m deep but the new fish gets released into that section and tend to stay there. Most are between 2lb and 4lb. So if you want action, that is the place to be...There are some deeper areas around the other side of the lake where you might catch some bigger fish but you will prop catch less.They have a map in the tackle shop that gives you the depths of the lake. I've always caught on cats whiskers and orange blob. Fished there on Sunday and black and red buzzers worked best. Fishing with a floating line and about 12ft leader with a slow retrieve. Sometimes a sinking lines works well . Fishing hard on the botton with a slow retrieve. Another trout fisheries that you can try is in Maidenhead and I think called Sleephouse Trout fisheries. I've never been succesfull there though...Also check out this link http://www.fishingnet.com/England/trout_fisheries.htm. Good luck :thumbs:

Thanks a million for all the help and adive. Would love to give Rib Valley a try. Have not had a chance to go since Syon. But hope to this weekend or the next. Will report back!

Rutland

Why dont you drive round to Bewl in Kent, near Lamberhurst, not quite as big a s rutland but good reservoir fishing all the same and its not too much of a haul round the M25.

Tony

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Rutland

Why dont you drive round to Bewl in Kent, near Lamberhurst, not quite as big a s rutland but good reservoir fishing all the same and its not too much of a haul round the M25.

Tony

I thought about Bewl some time back. Have just looked on Multimap, it reckons it should take about 1hr 30 mins to get there from Ealing. I could live with that. But it will have to be for a full day out, not a half day, or after work-sesh. Have you fished there? What's it like?? It looks big enough on the map, and most of the time, I only used 'half' of Rutland (South Arm and Main Basin) so it would not be far off an equivalent size. Just checked the website too, it looks amazing.

Any pointers on tactics? Similar to Rutland -- i.e. fish on the move with a drogue at different depths until fish are located?

Rutland.Give Halliford Mere a try.Its not a push over,but a pleasant place to be.Had a day there today.Two of us had four each,all around 2.5/3lb and lost a fair few as well and missed a few takes.Mainly catch and release,barbless or debarbed hooks.£20 day.Friday and saturday fish 8 am to dusk,all other times shuts at 6pm,closed on mondays.

Rutland.Give Halliford Mere a try.Its not a push over,but a pleasant place to be.Had a day there today.Two of us had four each,all around 2.5/3lb and lost a fair few as well and missed a few takes.Mainly catch and release,barbless or debarbed hooks.£20 day.Friday and saturday fish 8 am to dusk,all other times shuts at 6pm,closed on mondays.

I fished Halliford Mere today for the first time and had a very nice time. Bought a morning ticket - £15 for five hours, 08.00 to 13.00. Caught one and lost one - both on bloodworm imitations. Of the two other guys fishing, by the time I left, one had caght three (the first two in quick succession while I ws still tackling up) and the other had blanked. Nice facilities in a pleasant location although the traffic noise from the dual carriageway is a bit intrusive.

Phil Davis

We don't own this world - we've only borrowed it from our children.

I fished Halliford Mere today for the first time and had a very nice time. Bought a morning ticket - £15 for five hours, 08.00 to 13.00. Caught one and lost one - both on bloodworm imitations. Of the two other guys fishing, by the time I left, one had caght three (the first two in quick succession while I ws still tackling up) and the other had blanked. Nice facilities in a pleasant location although the traffic noise from the dual carriageway is a bit intrusive.

That was Gaz and myself :clap2: i actually managed four after lunch,thinking a blank was on the cards :unsure:

Small world,Nowwwwwwwwwww if you had said hi i'm mr toad :D:rolleyes::D

Anderoo,

I was very interested to read about Halliford Mere. I'm sure I looked at it some years ago when I worked in Staines and it would have been great for an evening session after work but at that time it was season ticket only. I see on their website that its under new management (although it doesn't say since when) and they do day tickets now. I no longer work in Staines but I might give it a go some time as a change from Albury.

Brian is the new manager of the mere , hes a nice bloke and has done some good work already, lakes one and two have been stocked, not to sure about three , but four is going to be let to a coarse club as it is to hard to baliff, try the buzzers next time about 7-9ft down :thumbs:

That was Gaz and myself :clap2: i actually managed four after lunch,thinking a blank was on the cards :unsure:

Small world,Nowwwwwwwwwww if you had said hi i'm mr toad :D:rolleyes::D

Hi Chuby, it was nice to meet you.

You too Gaz.

I don't usually have to introduce myself as Mr Toad - my wife thinks the resemblance is uncanny :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Phil Davis

We don't own this world - we've only borrowed it from our children.