Fishing Near London

Rutland Emigree

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mr T,let us know if you plan another trip there :thumbs::clap2:

OK, will do. It probably won't be for a little while though :( . I've had my monthly outing for April :D and I'm going away on a business trip soon so it may be some time in June.

Phil Davis

We don't own this world - we've only borrowed it from our children.

So last weekend I finally got a chance to go fishing. It's a long story, but I ended up at Grafham water. It took me about 1hr 30 mins from Ealing, sticking to all the speed limits of course! :whistling: Actually started fishing by 11, and, wow, it was touggggh! I guess it was bound to happen after me harping on about how easy I found it at Syon Park.

It was three hours before my first fish, on an orange blob. Completely blindsided me, I was looking to start another drift after the next cast and then, smash -- it went, and went, and went, turned out to be about 3 1/2 lb, it was a sleek over-wintered rainbow powerhouse that ripped my arm off, took an eternity to calm down, my heart was racing until I'd finally netted one beautiful fish. Then about another three hours later I got a nice take on a team of buzzers, a similar fish by the feel of it, but lost it after about five seconds. Nothing again for a further two hours, and then bang, another overwintered job, this time around the 3 lb mark, took a grhe on the point; got the fish to the boat and then, to my dismay, realised I'd made the schoolboy error of tying my top dropper and point fly too far apart! Now, I wanted this fish -- it had been a long time coming. I don't know how, but with a fully stretched arm and rod pushed skywards in one hand and an extended net in the other, I just managed to direct the fish's final charge into the net and scooped it out into the boat.

And that was it -- I carried on fishing until 8.30 at which point the fish really starting moving to these small tan surface flies (any ideas?) but couldn't seem to get a take on any of my matching approximations. Through the course of the day I think I tried pretty well everything -- different depths, different flies, different retrieves, different combinations, everything.

So I went from four fish in around half an hour at Syon to two fish after around 9 hours! It was the first time I fished Grafham, I think a bit more local knowledge could have made a hell of a difference. Got back to the jetty and it looked like others had faired considerably better than myself.

Next stop either Bewl or Haliford Mere... Hopefully I'll get something between these two extremes! But hey, at least I didn't blank! And the fish that I did hook into gave me a hell of a run for my money.

Well done.

I/we fished Bewl last saturday for the first time(boat)with our club..Pretty daunting,so big.Ended up loosing three fish and missing a few.Mate had three and again missed a few.Mine took buzzers and cormorants,mate was on cats.

Some boats comming back blank,some with limits.Most action bettween the jetty and the main pleasure boat jetty,and close in.Did try opposite side of dam,but much quieter over there.A few lads tried over by the cages without any luck.Guy fishing from the bank did ok on cats and cormorants,just infront of us,ie to the left of the club house and jetty.

Well done.

I/we fished Bewl last saturday for the first time(boat)with our club..Pretty daunting,so big.Ended up loosing three fish and missing a few.Mate had three and again missed a few.Mine took buzzers and cormorants,mate was on cats.

Some boats comming back blank,some with limits.Most action bettween the jetty and the main pleasure boat jetty,and close in.Did try opposite side of dam,but much quieter over there.A few lads tried over by the cages without any luck.Guy fishing from the bank did ok on cats and cormorants,just infront of us,ie to the left of the club house and jetty.

Thanks for that. Sounds like a similar deal to Grafham. It probably makes a lot of difference if you know where the fish are likely to be under certain kinds of conditions at specific times, the sort of knowledge that only comes from having fished there a good few times. It's got to be Bewl as the next big day out... Anyone know where there are fishing reports from Bewl?

Thanks for that. Sounds like a similar deal to Grafham. It probably makes a lot of difference if you know where the fish are likely to be under certain kinds of conditions at specific times, the sort of knowledge that only comes from having fished there a good few times. It's got to be Bewl as the next big day out... Anyone know where there are fishing reports from Bewl?

Chris on www.completefisher.com posts them up,there is a bewl fly fishers web site as well-just google it :thumbs:

hope that helps