Fishing Near London

Rutland Emigree

Have a look at Rib Valley Lakes just north of Hertford (just off A10) its got a website.

Not a fluff chucker myself I fish the coarse lakes there but I think it has got a pretty good reputation certainly seems popular throughout the season.

Their website is here.

Hi Gorton, I also fish there occasionally, mainly on the millenium lake for silvers. Was thinking of taking my son there sometime over the easter holidays. Maybe I'll bump into you sometime.

I don't flyfish there myself either but as you say, it does seem popular.

Andy

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Jigotai

Was there for a few hours first thing Sunday morning (peg 1) lots of small roach but not a lot else bit disappoiniting really but the water is still cold all the fish I caught were freezing cold, bit more of this sunshine should liven them up a bit. I had some great roach there last year and also some good rudd.

Might be there this weekend but I am afraid it is also Ware Beer Festival this weekend so could end up anywhere if you know what I mean.

There did not seem many fly fisherman there this weekend for some reason, the fly lake is well worth a coarse fish later in the year when you are allowed to do so, there are some massive roach in there.

Hi Jigotai

Was there for a few hours first thing Sunday morning (peg 1) lots of small roach but not a lot else bit disappoiniting really but the water is still cold all the fish I caught were freezing cold, bit more of this sunshine should liven them up a bit. I had some great roach there last year and also some good rudd.

Might be there this weekend but I am afraid it is also Ware Beer Festival this weekend so could end up anywhere if you know what I mean.

There did not seem many fly fisherman there this weekend for some reason, the fly lake is well worth a coarse fish later in the year when you are allowed to do so, there are some massive roach in there.

Hi Gorton,

I didn't manage to get out in the end, the wife had me decorating, am going to try this weekend.

I usually fish to the right on the river side near the car park for the trout lake. Like you, I have had some nice roach and rudd, I also had a shoal of perch to about a 1 lb visit my swim the last time I was there.

I think I'll give the fly lake a go in the summer, the carp boys tend to struggle for the carp there but targeting the roach or tench should be rewarding.

Hi Rutland Emigree,

I've never fished Syon Park but I have fished the lakes down at Albury quite a few times. I don't know if they're harder than Syon but I've blanked quite a few times there. My average is less than one fish per visit but that might be a reflection on my (lack of) skill rather than the stocking level :rolleyes: I like their pricing structure since I can save unused tickets for another visit. The best day I had was last year when I caught my limit of four fish over a period of about three and a half hours using a 5 weight rod I bought from Lidl's :)

Phil Davis

We don't own this world - we've only borrowed it from our children.

Frensham is a beautiful place, but is very small and soon feels overcrowded. If it's quiet it's lovely though, very peaceful, with free-rising fish and the chance of a little brownie as well.

My favourite place around London was Halliford Mere near Shepperton. There's plenty of water (3 separate, irregular-shaped lakes, nice and deep with interesting features) but lots of intimate nooks and crannies, plus it's catch and release so you don't have to go home early if they're having it. Floating lines with small nymphs/buzzers work very well, and there are some excellent localised sedge hatches for fishing dries. Definitely worth a visit. If you really want to bag up early in the season, fish a damsel on an intemediate! It's not a particularly 'easy' water though, some days you need to work very hard for a fish or two.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Anderoo,

I was very interested to read about Halliford Mere. I'm sure I looked at it some years ago when I worked in Staines and it would have been great for an evening session after work but at that time it was season ticket only. I see on their website that its under new management (although it doesn't say since when) and they do day tickets now. I no longer work in Staines but I might give it a go some time as a change from Albury.

Phil Davis

We don't own this world - we've only borrowed it from our children.

Frensham is a beautiful place, but is very small and soon feels overcrowded. If it's quiet it's lovely though, very peaceful, with free-rising fish and the chance of a little brownie as well.

My favourite place around London was Halliford Mere near Shepperton. There's plenty of water (3 separate, irregular-shaped lakes, nice and deep with interesting features) but lots of intimate nooks and crannies, plus it's catch and release so you don't have to go home early if they're having it. Floating lines with small nymphs/buzzers work very well, and there are some excellent localised sedge hatches for fishing dries. Definitely worth a visit. If you really want to bag up early in the season, fish a damsel on an intemediate! It's not a particularly 'easy' water though, some days you need to work very hard for a fish or two.

Off there the last friday of this month.Nice spot,as you say,not easy at times though.Have done well on small hares ears,ptns etc

Thanks for all the replies. Will definitely check out Rib Valley lakes, that looks like a good option, as does Frensham. Feels like summer already, and I'll bet there's soon going to be some action on dries. Might have a go at Haliford Mere this weekend, will check back and let you know how I got on if I do -- bet I blank after doing so well at Syon!

Thanks for all the replies. Will definitely check out Rib Valley lakes, that looks like a good option, as does Frensham. Feels like summer already, and I'll bet there's soon going to be some action on dries. Might have a go at Haliford Mere this weekend, will check back and let you know how I got on if I do -- bet I blank after doing so well at Syon!

In this heat-best of luck :unsure:

Went to Duncton Mill yesterday(saturday),very hard.All fish taken by club members were taken deep and fish tightly shoaled.Either on em or you suffered.Too damn hot and sunny ,which just kept them down deep.