tench advice

Sportsman

I'm going to do something this weekend that I haven't done for 20 years. I'm going fishing in a place like this.

http://www.fishingnet.com/fishing_clubs/dunmore.htm

I haven't done this style of fishing since I moved up to Scotland so it is like starting from scratch and going back to my earliest fishing experiences.

What I fancy is the Tench but really need some help.

I have a 13' match rod which should be up to the job, a fixed spool loaded with 4lb mono (but that can change) an assortment of floats, shot etc and some hooks. Things like feeders are not available around here either.

Bait is a problem as maggots are not available and you can't get ready made groundbait, so

What type of rig, line hook sizes etc. (Please don't suggest size 22s on an 8oz bottom, I have trouble seeing size 16s :lol: )

What method (prefer to watch a float)

Groundbait and hook baits ??

Where do I start

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

I'm going to do something this weekend that I haven't done for 20 years. I'm going fishing in a place like this.

I haven't done this style of fishing since I moved up to Scotland so it is like starting from scratch and going back to my earliest fishing experiences.

I have a 13' match rod which should be up to the job, a fixed spool loaded with 4lb mono (but that can change) an assortment of floats, shot etc and some hooks. Things like feeders are not available around here either.

Bait is a problem as maggots are not available and you can't get ready made groundbait, so

What type of rig, line hook sizes etc. (Please don't suggest size 22s on an 8oz bottom, I have trouble seeing size 16s :lol: )

Where do I start

Unfortunately I'm probably not much help as I've only ever caught two tench in my entire life (I usually fish rivers). However, I'm hoping to go after them on Friday, and have the following game plan:

Same as you, a 13' match rod (though it's actually more like 12' 10" as the tip snapped off about 10 years ago).

4lb main line - Drennan float fish mono.

2lb mono for hook length, with probably a size 12 or 14 hook.

Going to use sweetcorn as hook bait with liquidised sweetcorn and breadcrumb for groundbait.

May try and dig out a few worms from the compost heap as well.

Hope that's some help, but I'm really going on what other people and books have told me.

There shouldn't be much weed growth to worry about, so the tackle you have should be well up to dealing with tench up to 3 or 4lb. I usually use a hooklength of a lower bs, but if you're on barbless hooks, I 'd be tempted to fish the 4lb line straight through. Laying hard on the bottom in the margins with corn, worm or breadflake should get you a few. I wouldn't worry about groundbait too much - a few loose samples of your hookbait are often better at this time of year.

Let us know how you get on it looks idyllic!

Unfortunately, I think maggots would give you the best chance of catching. If you can't get maggots, can you get worms? I think, given your latitude, there's a risk that you might find the tench uncooperative this early in the year. With worm, at least you retain the chance of a good perch or roach. Other alternatives are corn or bread, but you probably forego the chance of perch with those.

I think I would obtain some worms, preferably brandlings or reds, though lobs will be better than nothing. I would also take some sweetcorn and some bread. I would fish something like a peacock quill insert waggler, and I would start off using a whole brandling or a lob tail on a #16 to a 2lb hooklength (or better still, given that the tench run to a good size, a 4lb hooklength of low diameter mono). I would start off by fishing a little overdepth. I would feed some chopped worm to begin with, and I would then loose feed very cautiously with corn. I would occasionally switch between worm and a kernel of corn or a small pinch of flake.

It's not quite how I would ideally tackle it (I'd start off fishing lighter, with maggots for feed and hookbait, until I knew what was about), but given that you don't want to fish too light and would like some chance of tench, I think the approach above should be OK.

Where do I start

Try float fishing with worm on a #14 hook and "groundbait" with a few bits of chopped worm to get them interested. I suppose the main advice would be..."Give 'em time!" Don't strike at the first twitch of your float...wait until it starts to run. They have a tendency to mouth the bait a bit first before they commit themselves...so keep the hook as hidden as possible. You can go to

www.tenchfishers.com for advice on rigs and much more besides.

Tight lines!

Thanks all.

I have managed to aquire some maggots by mail order :clap2: but can't get an worms.

Will try maggot or sweetcorn on the hook and loose feed hookbaits little and often.

I am really looking forward to the change. :)

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/