So where?

OTIB

Can anyone give me a good stretch of river to go fishing in the Staffordshire area as I have a week off work with my bro beginning the 6th of July and plan to go fishing on a river for the first time.

I'm looking to spend 2 days on the rivers. One trotting just to give it a blast and another trying for a barbel?! I know this will be a challenge but if I'm out, I'm happy and a fish will be a bonus!

Can I have your bank account number and sort code please?

Can anyone give me a good stretch of river to go fishing in the Staffordshire area as I have a week off work with my bro beginning the 6th of July and plan to go fishing on a river for the first time.

I'm looking to spend 2 days on the rivers. One trotting just to give it a blast and another trying for a barbel?! I know this will be a challenge but if I'm out, I'm happy and a fish will be a bonus!

Somewhere on the Trent? It is after all the most prolific Barbel River the Burton Clubs will offer plenty of venues, but what experience do you have with Barbel? You will need sturdy tackle, it's a big old river on the lower sections.

For a smaller River look at the Dove, a beautiful river but can be hard.

Thanks OTIB. I have just picked up 2 X 3lb Nash dwarfs this week for my pike fishing this winter. Until now for anything big I've used a 1.75tc rod my dad gave me, the rod is older than I am but has never let me down!! What type or rod would be suitable?

I've had a look on the Burton AA website and its got some good info on there so thanks for a point in the right direction.

Can I have your bank account number and sort code please?

I use for the most part 1,75 tc rids for the Lower Severn, but would be under gunned for a swollen river like the Severn or Trent, given that you would have to use heavy leads to hold bottom. I am talking anything from 4oz to 6 or even more. However in the Summer , something between 3/4 ounces on the Trent will be OK, so the 1.75 rod should be fine.

Best method on the Lower Trent would be large feeders that are flat bottomed, 10 or 12 lb line, 10 lb bottom, stuff the feeder full of pellet ground bait and wait for the barbs to find you. Cast every 5 minutes or so and they will come Keep the rod pointing up, Trent style.

I like the Drennan flat feeders, I use insulation tape over the holes to slow down the feed rate, you can also use the tape to add or reduce lead till you get it right.

The Dove is different, essentially a stalking river, so feed lightly, and get on your toes. The 1.75 rod will be fine here.

Good luck, and enjoy.

River Trent at Trent Lock. There's a lovely stretch that's controlled by the Soldiers and Sailors Club, so I've just joined-up for a year.

I haven't fished for the last 2 years as I seemed to loose my mojo; now I want to know if I've got it back!

Maggots and casters are on order for collection this pm, tackle box is sorted, and I'm off down the bank to do a little bit of swim/access clearance.

Wish me luck!

Cleared access to a couple of swims and noted 2 more as alternatives.

Maggots and casters in cold-box. Sausages cooked, sandwiches made, in fridge.

Rods selected and packed. Camera battery (optimistically) charged.

Haven't been this excited for quite a few years!!