Windows 10

n4lly

I have a problem that has just appeared. If I shut down the computer and then reboot all of my carefully arranged icons on the desktop have all migrated into one jumbled mass. It has done it twice. I use two screen so when I say jumbled mass I do mean jumbled mass. Both screen's worth onto one screen.

Also, as windows opens I get a screen offering the choice between Win 10 or system restore. Is that normal? Seems a bit drastic.

Any advice on which magic button to press will be apreciated

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Windows 10 hates multi screen unless you've got the very latest drivers for your vid card.

So I'd suggest you make sure you've updated your video drivers before anything else!

Your second issue might be a boot entry issue.

open RUN (windows key+r key)

Type msconfig

Press return

Click BOOT tab

If there are two things listed in the new window highlight the non Windows 10 one and click delete.

Reboot and test

Complete, just waiting to decide when to upgrade now. ?

Untitled.gif

"La conclusión es que los insultos sólo perjudican cuando vienen de alguien que respeto". e5006689.gif

“Vescere bracis meis”

Nothing like that on mine ,the win10 box was as it was post registration but the update came via windows update there was no options other than download or not .

On the tablet your page is similar but merely says windows 10 is downloading and a view download process box

It will fail again it has 3 times whereas the pc updated fine

Clicking the download process box it merely goes to the windows update site checks for updates and tells you its 0% complete

AHH theres a difference ,previously if i chose to download it it made a virtual dvd drive and used that so the download only existed for the install ,now there is no virtual dvd drive so it must be saving it wherever windows saves updates

I used media creator to save a copy of the 64bit version for the pc so i will for the tablet as well as its 32 bit

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I have gone back to Win 7 with no probs :) Checked on my Ipad this morning and youtube was playing OK connected to the same router as the PC, so the probs were def with my PC. I still have the option to "upgrade" later if I want to.

Just out of interest, when I installed win10 I was advised to install what I assumed was an upgrade to AMDxxxxxxx. This I assumed was the video etc software already on my PC, so I allowed the installation. Completely cocked up my windows media player with some quite frightening effects like a fuse blowing when I tried to play videos (not dvd's) stored on PC.

I may have another go later, changing servers next week so will wait until after that is up and running.

Bit of a nightmare really, I am well back in to my birdwatching and load pics and videos every day so losing the option to play them back was, to say the least, upsetting.

Happily all is "as it was in the beginning :) "

Den

PS the my documents is also back to normal...........wife very happy bunny :)

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Windows 10 hates multi screen unless you've got the very latest drivers for your vid card.

So I'd suggest you make sure you've updated your video drivers before anything else!

Your second issue might be a boot entry issue.

open RUN (windows key+r key)

Type msconfig

Press return

Click BOOT tab

If there are two things listed in the new window highlight the non Windows 10 one and click delete.

Reboot and test

Thanks Kirie

Both suggestions have worked perfectly.

Got rid of the restore thing and when I went onto the AMD site for updated drivers it offered an auto detect download which not only found mt Vid card and downloaded/installed the best driver but also auto corrected the screen resolution on both monitors so the both work properly

It has also stopped the desktop icons rearranging themselves, so my daughter and I thank you.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

May not be my last word on win10, completely messed up my Outlook. "lost my database" "unable to send/receive" "address not recognised" and a few more. Fiddled about with various settings (not sure what I did to be honest) with no result. Been solid as a rock for years.

Suddenly, yesterday, it is all back to normal......except........I have lost all my deleted mails, all the stuff in my storage folders (even the folders) lists of names/address, in fact just like starting from scratch.

What next I wonder?

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

My and sons Norton failed to reappear, had to start it and allocate devices. Then today it stated my trial period had expired, so I went through the process again and now it seems ok. It does still whinge about the Edge browser not catered for, so I will explore that one

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

Mine did the same ,reinstalled nortons said it had expired then connected to database after next boot and now is fine ,surprisingly easy upgrade except it keeps retrying on my tablet and failing

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson