Windows 10

n4lly

its a bastard child of them both!

but it is closer to 8.1 than anything in looks and feel.

a lot of people are expecting a "return" to the START menu system of windows 7.

that's simply not the case!

yes; there is a start menu; but it doesn't act or look like the windows 7 version.

imagine the windows 7 start menu; change its colouring and look to fit windows 8 metro look, then add the metro interface to the side of the start menu.

Windows-10-Preview-Start-Menu-Look-and-F

so; standard app icons down the left with "live tiles" of metro apps on the right.

if you don't use metro apps at all then these can be disabled/ removed

• 1 month later...

the damn thing comes in the form of a windows update made to look like its a 'required' update. maybe they havnt updated their computers yet.

Im on automatic updates, so will i boot up one morning and find i have windaz10 OS.

"La conclusión es que los insultos sólo perjudican cuando vienen de alguien que respeto". e5006689.gif

“Vescere bracis meis”

mine updated itse'f to 8.1

many times it told me the update was available but clicking on the link told me my version of win8 wasnt the version that could be updated

then one day it took a hell of a time coming on then the usual wait for windows to update then it demanded a product number which aroused my suspicions ,the win8 code i used on install didnt work so i rebooted more than once thinking it had corrupted and did a start up repair ,that went through the process but still that key was wanted then i remembered you could go past that screen without entering the code and somehow (cannot remember how)and i got a load (i mean a load) of numbers come up and a phone number on phoning that i explaned the situation ,the woman asked for the numbers and then read me just as many back which i entered and to this date its happy ! whether it will be when it updates to win 10 is another matter

not sure when i will get the win10 version it obviously downlaods in the back ground onto yor disk ,i turn off my pc when its not in use (just used for games or printing stuff to complicated for the tablet and my metal detecting emails) and the tablet is mostly off as well as i used the playbook its more secure and the tablet has only 9 gb left so limited space wise

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Thanks Andy. :notworthy:

"La conclusión es que los insultos sólo perjudican cuando vienen de alguien que respeto". e5006689.gif

“Vescere bracis meis”

Windows 10 is being shipped out in "stages" if you reserved your copy via the Get Windows 10 app then it will eventually roll out as a installed update but it will give you plenty of warning in doing so!

even if you force the download there is no chance whatsoever of just "waking up" and magically having windows 10!

there is a fairly lengthy install process and several questions to respond to along the way before anything gets installed!

I get this message, must not be one's :bleh: turn yet then ho ho ho.

Untitled.jpg

Edited by Andrew

“Vescere bracis meis”

They are rolling it out over 3-6 months to allow for tech patches etc

When it downloads it goes into a hidden folder on the root of C drive called "windows~BT"

It's about 3-5 gig in size.

You can force the download from here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

Choose the correct installer to download...but this will only activate correctly if you have reserved first!

The installer gives you the option to create a bootable media or upgrade your current install to windows 10. Again it's a 3-5 gig download.

It was in windows update waiting yesterday morning it took until 1.58 this morning to download and install ,the tablet though refuses to install it fails every time ,i guess as its rom is not ready for it ,i noticed it upgraded to win8.1 but i had to roll back several drivers to get bits working ,windows sees it as ready to upgrade but it has other ideas i suppose

Its a cheap chinese thing but running the free 8.1 with bing that abounds out there

On the pc where would you find the licence code ? Its not on the system page only an option to change it ,what happens if you have to reinstall in the future when windows goes tits up and system restore refuses to play ball

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Windows 10: like windows 8.1 is linked to your hardware and as such is coded into windows itself.

There is no easy way to find your code. A reinstall, as long as there are no major hardware change will activate automatically.

If you head to the Microsoft windows 10 media creator download you can download an ISO or USB windows install media for recovery or reinstall.

Windows checks with MS servers during activation to see if your PC is a known windows 10 device and activates if all is correct.

There are software apps out there that claim to recover your product code but I'm unsure if they work with Windows 10 yet

Edited by kirisute