Need A advice

I have found a superb fishery but most of the carp are caught in the region of 130+ yards and I know my present carp rods (2 1/2lbTC) won't able to cast that far out.

I was told buy Budgie is go for a 3lb TC to 3 1/4lb TC fast taper rods, but he can't recommend any make of rods to do the job. There is one rod I would like to know if it worth getting it.

I am thinking of getting is the JRC Skyliner Extreme Range.

What others fellow carpers think if I doing the right thing to go out and buy this rod for this purpose

Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

http://www.bass-online.co.uk/

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have found a superb fishery but most of the carp are caught in the region of 130+ yards and I know my present carp rods (2 1/2lbTC) won't able to cast that far out.

I was told buy Budgie is go for a 3lb TC to 3 1/4lb TC fast taper rods, but he can't recommend any make of rods to do the job. There is one rod I would like to know if it worth getting it.

I am thinking of getting is the JRC Skyliner Extreme Range.

What others fellow carpers think if I doing the right thing to go out and buy this rod for this purpose

Hi Andrew, from what's happening at the places I fish regularly, I can say that Chimaera's (Harrison's), Century FMJ's and Free Spirit's are all up to the job even in moderately good carper's hands. A regular fishing partner of mine (and a damned fine angler to boot), has 3lb Fox Warrior's and even with a favourable wind and everything going for him, he struggled to do 120 yards at Pennington Flash - where a huge chuck is required if you don't want to don your waders and venture 60 yrds out into the lake before casting. He can't even do that kind of range with the Warrior Spod rod.

It doesn't answer your question, but it saves you looking in some directions!

Good luck,

Alan

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

What have you got at the moment Andrew? Don't want to worry you, but 130+ is a very long chuck with any rod. As a guide, I would say that if you have 2.5TC rods, and can't cast 2.5ounces 120+ without bait, then you won't do much good by buying different rods.

Distance is down to the caster in the final analysis.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

What have you got at the moment Andrew? Don't want to worry you, but 130+ is a very long chuck with any rod. As a guide, I would say that if you have 2.5TC rods, and can't cast 2.5ounces 120+ without bait, then you won't do much good by buying different rods.

Distance is down to the caster in the final analysis.

Den

Hi Den, the rods I am using at the moment is a Leeda Carp Duo Rod which have 2 tips which 1 at 2lb T.C. which I use for fishing in the margin and the other one at 2 1/2lb T.C. which I used for multi range.

Hi Andrew

If it was me i would enquire about having some casting lessons before buying new rods for that kind of range (and no im not suggesting you cant cast :D) the reason i am suggestng this is, that with a casting instructor you will hopefully have other rods to practice casting with and you may find a rod that you like, feel comfortable with and can compress, as like Den said its all about technique rather than the rod and with some people a fast taper rod is too much as they cant get the best out of them and its not as if you can go to your local tackle shop and ask to try all thier extreme range rods in a field to find one that your happy with.

Hi Andrew, from what's happening at the places I fish regularly, I can say that Chimaera's (Harrison's), Century FMJ's and Free Spirit's are all up to the job even in moderately good carper's hands.

Hi Alan forgot to tell you that I am not in a postions to buy the state of the carp rods you have mention mate! :thumbs:

Hi Alan forgot to tell you that I am not in a postions to buy the state of the carp rods you have mention mate! :thumbs:

Andrew...I think we could be related!

I have a pair of the original Fox Warrior 2.75lbs tc rods to which you're very welcome. As a matter of principle, all my carping is done using the late and sadly missed Alan Taylor's 2.5lbs tc rods, and have been hardly using the Fox's. Just for a little marker work. They are genuinely like new...and if you'd like them, just let me know.

All the best,

Alan

They are genuinely like new...and if you'd like them, just let me know.

Thanks Alan, but no thanks, please no offence! I had found a link which me can get three carp rod for under £100 including postage and packing.

Cheer anyway mate! All the best mate.

Edited by Andrew Burgess

Thanks Alan, but no thanks, please no offence! I had found a link which me can get three carp rod for under £100 including postage and packing.

Cheer anyway mate! All the best mate.

No offence could possibly be taken. :angry::thumbs:

Andrew, please don't misunderstand me... I was offering them to you for nothing...because I know you and know that they'd be going to a good home.