Need A advice

Guest tigger

A friend of mine has a trio of Daiwa Neville Fickling Whisker kevlar 13 ft 2 1/4 test pike rods. It says 2 1/4 test on the blank but they seem much more powerfull and are amazing for distance casting, even with a heafty dead bait ! If you can pick up a pair of these I reckon they would suit you down to the ground. Also being being 13 ft helps for distance casting. They really are fantastic rods and you should be able to pick a pair/trio up for around a ton.

Edited by tigger

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe a light beach casting rod?

That is what I was going to say. That and a good technique. 150 yds is a long cast.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Even 100 yards is a very long way. I was fishing at a pretty impressive distance (for me anyway!) last time I was out, and out of curiosity I measured the distance out on the bank - 60 yards! I wasn't using distance gear and wasn't casting as far as I could, but I wasn't far off. I think I'd struggle to hit 100 yards let alone 150!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I used to do a fair bit of tournament /beach casting 4 and 6ounces and multipliers. Using a Glass rod (it was a long time ago :) ) I could hit 175/185 all day long, and 150 was a mere lob. These were measured by the way.

About 15 years (?) ago, I did some measured casts with my 13ft 3lbTC rods and fixed spool and 20lb leader and 2.5 ounce leads and was hitting 145/150 with ease.

5 years ago i checked out my performance and was shocked to find I was struggling to hit 90 yards, I seemed to have lost all technique ans couldn't even cast straight ! Never mind though, I was still able to reach the far bank or islands (beyond what most others were doing)

I have now re learned to "get vicious" and can hit 100 providing the wind is not to strong (I darent use any line under 15bs due to weed and bars (and the size of the fish).

And apart from one or two "fit young men" no one outcasts me on my lakes. So like Elton says, very few can or do "hit the 100" Remember, just because 100 yds comes off the reel, doesn't mean you have cast that far.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

• 2 weeks later...

150 is a long way you will need to learn to cast again and you will struggle to get there even wuth the right kit as some one said 100 yds to arp anglers is about 80 to most other ppl.

you can make it easier on yourself as rods reels etc are so readily available and neednt cost the earth I tried posting earlier on this but it seems to have gone missing greys prodigy 3.5yc will get you close if your technique is good, for half the price of that the fox piker in 3.25 will do it as well but with these cheaper rods you will loose accuracy once you start getting beyond 100m (up to 30m off the mark as we found out) a true distance rod will improve accuracy no end I use 3lb fa shimano super ultegras and can (when conditions are right) get a suitable rid beyond 150 but with very little accuracy at 130 i can put it consistantly within 10m of its target area. Ive played on fields a lot to get this right and measured too. try one big rod with a big reel dont get two/three of them and fish the others that you already have the carp will not only feed at that range belive me.

You can with big reels get these distances without resorting to light line (6-8lb) the 130m cast I can do with 15lb Daiwa sensor and 3.5oz leads on Shimano LC baitrunners, strangley if i drop to 10lb and tapered shockleaders i drop distance,I never have been able to work that one out.

The 150 was done with 10lcb suffix to 45lb quicksilver shockleader with 3.75oz leads and a single 12mm popup on 4" 15b flourocarbon using a helicopter set up

Edited by noodle996

Just one thing guys, I can cast over 100 yards, but doesn't mean it lands where I want it to.

Accuracy with distance needs to be considered, whats the point of learning to cast a massive distance or trying a pendulum cast, which is more suited to the beach, than your average carp lake and not hiting your target?

Just reminds me of a day fishing with my son when he was trying to fish the opposite margin under some large bushes, cranked the rod right up, gave it a massive chuck, cleared the lake, bushes, tree's and got a good distance into the ploughed field the other side, mind you impressive cast and a good distance was achieved. :rolleyes:

Sent you a PM Andrew RE the rods!! But hurry this is time limited!!!

IE I am coming over to UK tomorrow!!!

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))