Easterweekend in LA

blindog

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hope you and Davy get yer rods bent (no as much as last time Davy;))

Good luck lads and tight lines

Lenny

save-our-sharks member

SACN Member

SFSA Member

"Time is never wasted

When your wasted all the time

Nil Desperandum

Highlight for me was playing darts with Snatcher, Linda, and the darts master that is Blindog - awesome craic

was a bloody good laugh Shaun :thumbs: You truly were in the company of a Master :rolleyes: No Norrie dont bother,where'sthe worm pics M8

save-our-sharks member

SACN Member

SFSA Member

"Time is never wasted

When your wasted all the time

Nil Desperandum

I went a bit further south than LA due to the lack of accomodation. It would be an understatement to say we did well so I dont think the fish were preoccupied with spawning. 3 anglers, two rods for two days for 18 fish. It was a dream come true. There was a lot of tiddlers ( comparatively) but we all managed a 100+ fish and the best fish was 164 lb.

Norm if you want a report and pics you will have to bribe me :rolleyes:

Cheers

Dave

The fish you caught weren't old enough to be interested in spawning. If you had 18 fish to 1007 pounds and all three of you, had an a 100 plus that makes the average weight of the other 15 fish 43 pounds each. Hardly breathtaking stuff

Edited by Ian Burrett

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

The fish you caught weren't old enough to be interested in spawning. If you had 18 fish to 1007 pounds and all three of you, had an a 100 plus that makes the average weight of the other 15 fish 43 pounds each. Hardly breathtaking stuff

:roll1:

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

I agree Ian, we had fish of 18lb/21lb/23lb and 28lb which really pulled the average down. I have no idea why there was such a high proportion of tiddlers on a mark which last year gave us 8 fish for 1000 lb plus. I have no idea when they spawn and at what age . Something that sets me thinking is that all the males we caught had scratches on their backs as if they had swam under barbed wire...are these spawning battle scars?

We went to the area to follow up last years trip and as such tried different marks away from the original mark we fished which is an obvious trench. We also talked to a local who fishes for them and he put us onto some other marks. One area is renown for 20-30 sub 100lb fish in a day ...and is also in a very sheltered place which should be fishable in all but the worst conditions (those stopping you actually getting there) It may not be an attractive proposition for a hardened skate angler chasing a PB but if you consider a majority of anglers in our area are hoping for a 20+ fish some day it could be great fun on light tackle in 100ft depths.

One of the highlights for me from the trip was hooking a skate accidentally on a 20 class gear with a small strip of mackrel. The borrowed gear I was using included a penn LC reel with digital line out meter.I hooked it at 129 mtrs and got it to 88mtrs before it decided to return home to the deeps and the lack of a lever drag left me with a straight hook...a fun 20 mins.

We have been getting some good bags of pollock but sadly our couple of hours after them this time were a total blank when on the previous trip we did 40+ fish in a couple of hours...but that is fishing for yah.

We only went to the area to find out if last years one session was a one of or the norm for the area...the jury is still out on that decision...but what is clear is skate are plentiful in the area as are pollock. I will be going back :)

Cheers

Dave

Save Our Sharks Member

www.save-our-sharks.org

Nice report Dave,you certainly outfished us lot :rolleyes:

Norrie here is a picture of one of the deer I snapped from your car window,just in case you missed it on the other thread

Deer.jpg

I think we should call the next two "wabbit ears" :rolleyes:

Lugs1.jpg

Lugs2.jpg

Last one for tonight, a possible contender for "rear of the year" :thumbs:

Rearoftheyear.jpg

Anyone got any of me swaying aboot or Mick lying on the carpet!!! Still got loads more to add later to stir the memories :clap2:

Edited by Snatcher

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

care will need to be taken when using this slip as the locals are non plussed with angling boats making noise at silly hours in the day.

i got the feeling they were looking for an excuse as its been angler free up till 2 or 3 years ago and now is being used more.

ps couldn't have been you as this was a couple of weeks ago.

Something that sets me thinking is that all the males we caught had scratches on their backs as if they had swam under barbed wire...are these spawning battle scars?

Hi Dave - got any photos of the scratches, would be interesting to see them.

Any photos of the general area would be of interest too.

Nick

Nick

...life

what's it all about...?