Is an Ocean Frenzy suitable for occaisional kaking?

fishfinder

I want to buy a yak, but I don't think it will get used too often. Instead of going to whole hog and spending £600 plus on a Prowler, I was thinking of buyong an Ocean Kayak Frenzy, which I could also use in the surf for a bit of fun.

My question is, are the shorter boards such as the frenzy (but not the Yak board as it doesn't have enough weight capacity) of any use as an anglers kayak? Or should I spend more and go for a full size yak?

If you plan to do more than occassional fishing then a yak with greater storage, rigging options & hull speed/efficiency would be more suitable. If you're only planning to feather for mackeral or spin a lure now and again close inshore not far from launch then the frenzy would be a good choice.

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

my sister and brother-in-law have Frenzy's great little yak for having fun in the surf and paddling not too sure if I would want to fish in it, but saying that there is no reason why you can't.

The shorter the kayak is, it will not track well in a straight line as well as a longer one, or maybe my lousy paddling that can't keep it straight :schmoll:

Lat/Long :- N50°58.366 W001°26.468

I must go down to the sea again

To the lonely sea and sky

I left my shoes and socks there

I wonder if they're dry?

my sister and brother-in-law have Frenzy's great little yak for having fun in the surf and paddling not too sure if I would want to fish in it, but saying that there is no reason why you can't.

The shorter the kayak is, it will not track well in a straight line as well as a longer one, or maybe my lousy paddling that can't keep it straight :schmoll:

myself and a few friends have fished from frenzy's for over 4 years now upto 2 miles off shore many trips more than 10 miles round trip all over cornwall. now i have just sold it to a friend as i have had to get a double so that i can take my daughter out with me we were out sat and sun this weekend and did a trip from charmouth to seaton and around fishing on bottom and trolling. no problems what so ever and there is plenty of room to add fishing gadgets if that is your thing. i had two rods,fishfindre,gps,large storage box made from fibreglass with an aluminium top andlid which is molded from the stern and just lifts in and out as required and a dry bag under the cargo straps at the front.both trips this weekend were at least 5 miles round trip my friend is a lot bigger and heavier than my and he didn't have any problems. like you say you can always play in the surf as an extra bonus in a frenzy easier than longer yaks. this is just one view from someone who has used one for some time and i am sure there will be more feedbacks to come. hope it helps.

I want to buy a yak, but I don't think it will get used too often. Instead of going to whole hog and spending £600 plus on a Prowler, I was thinking of buyong an Ocean Kayak Frenzy, which I could also use in the surf for a bit of fun.

My question is, are the shorter boards such as the frenzy (but not the Yak board as it doesn't have enough weight capacity) of any use as an anglers kayak? Or should I spend more and go for a full size yak?

My wife uses a Frenzy and we have yet to find its limits. Excellent fun sot good for surf,canals, inshore,rivers lakes. But before you wade in could i suggest you have a look at a local club. Most have a stock of different types of yak availalable for use by members and you can get good tuition. It would help you sort out exactly what you wanted to do and what compromises you were prepared to make. For example River runners like the Acrobat 275 are good fun in surf at a pinch so try as many out as you can and focus on what you need out of the boat.

But most important ENJOY :thumbs:

I have a frenzy as a second kayak and it seems to be very capable.

It handles very well and tracks pretty well. My Daughter uses it and has paddled out a good few miles along the coast.

If you get a chance of one try and get the New Zealand moulding, it seems far more superior to the others.

I have thought about rigging it and would look at a bar across the front of the foot well. It is possible to get a stainless steel grab rail and as long as it is correct length, bolt it across. You will need to fit a hatch to do this. This could easily hold a vhf, rod holder and fishfinder.

Flush mounted holders can be installed behind the seat position and an anchor trolley line also.

I will rig up my one eventually but am interested in any pictures and ideas anyone else has with this kayak.

:thumbs:

Perception freedom at £325 base spec. is about the same price. Longer and presumably more seaworthy.

I have a frenzy as a second kayak and it seems to be very capable.

It handles very well and tracks pretty well. My Daughter uses it and has paddled out a good few miles along the coast.

If you get a chance of one try and get the New Zealand moulding, it seems far more superior to the others.

I have thought about rigging it and would look at a bar across the front of the foot well. It is possible to get a stainless steel grab rail and as long as it is correct length, bolt it across. You will need to fit a hatch to do this. This could easily hold a vhf, rod holder and fishfinder.

Flush mounted holders can be installed behind the seat position and an anchor trolley line also.

I will rig up my one eventually but am interested in any pictures and ideas anyone else has with this kayak.

:thumbs: