closed season!

YorkieT

If it is tidal does the close season apply?

I'm presuming, not nessacerily correctly that you can fish tidal rivers during the close season at a certain distance from the sea. This is the case on Norfolk's rivers, where you can fish from the natural confluence with the sea until a certain 'mile house' point, usually around five miles where the water would be brackish.. This is an arcane law and I'm not sure how it might apply to places like Christchurch Harbour or indeed Suffolks own Oulton Broad, both places being metres from saltwater...

I think you could possibly bob for eels during the close season, if there was any left that is...

I agree entirely with Mr Waller re:the closed season debate......

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with Peter too - this topic has probably been done to death, but I'm so hopping mad tonight that I have to add my tuppence worth.

On my way home tonight, as usual when the weathers's good, I took the long way home along the banks of my local river, thinking how good it would be when I can fish it again. I was incensed to see SIX anglers at my favourite spot, all using maggot feeders, and not a landing net between them. Two of them were just kids, but the rest ought to have known better. While I was there, one of them landed a lovely chub, and just dragged it up onto the pebble and sand bank, ripped the hook out and literally chucked the poor thing back.

I was blazing angry, but what could I do? When I casually said "I thought it was closed season?" I got an absolute torrent of foul abuse, and left quickly, feeling very scared and intimidated. Needless to say, I didn't bother to ask to see their licences! To$$ers!

Just who do I call about this, and will anyone actually listen and DO something, or do I just grit my teeth and let these muppets get away with it?

Janet

Guest Rabbit

Its the way society seems to be going I'm afraid. The yobs that ruin it for everyone else are free to do as they please without any recourse. We as anglers who abide by the laws, are shocked and dismayed by such actions, but the public and police wouldn't and don't care a less.

So if there is a problem with out of season fishing then its time to lift the close season and allow the 'good' anglers on the rivers, at least then we can 'police' these people. If the EA want to deny the law abiding anglers off the rivers then it must ensure that these people are kept off as well.

Guest tigger
Needless to say, I didn't bother to ask to see their licences! To$$ers!

Janet

With respect whether they're Toss*rs or not you have no right to ask to see anyones licence unless you are an EA official.

Why do we have to buy a licence for a year with three months of the river year unfishable?

Don't forget your licence also allows you to fish for non-migratory trout.

With respect whether they're Toss*rs or not you have no right to ask to see anyones licence unless you are an EA official.

Not so Tigger....read your own licence!

Paul

If you read your licence it says:-

Your licence must be produced on demand to a water bailiff of the agency who produces his or her warrant, a police officer, or any other licence holder who produces his or her licence.........

Guest tigger
Not so Tigger....read your own licence!

It actually states.

"Always carry your licence with you when you are fishing. If an Environmental Agency baliff with a warrant, a police officer or another licence holder asks to see your licence, it is an offence if you do not have it with you and you could be prosecuted."

So interestingly, according to the licence, nowhere does it say you must show it!!

There is no way I would allow someone other than a Police officer or a warrant carrying EA baliff sight of my personal details.

edited to say: this is last years licence which has just expired.

Edited by tigger

Tigger, you are of course totally right, I should have acted on my own advice and read my new licence first. It seems the EA have decided to change the wording this year.

Interestingly and somewhat bizzarely, my licence also now tells me to "Always ensure that you have the correct number of licences for the number of roads you are using"........that's going to severely restrict my driving this year!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Paul_D

Paul

Guest tigger
Interestingly and somewhat bizzarely, my licence also now tells me to "Always ensure that you have the correct number of licences for the number of roads you are using"........that's going to severely restrict my driving this year!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:bigemo_harabe_net-165::D